In Defense of Tapering: Conversations about Consumer Autonomy

Stacks

Biggest point for me against tapering:

I have (or don't know any) no tailor around here whom I would trust to alter my jeans. If i had the opportunety like Denim Doctors in LA I might think different about it. But so far I'm happy with most of my fits and like to change every now and then.

Reasons why I said "don't taper" to laxlife124 are:

- he has no acces to a a tailor he trust to so hemming and then ask for tapering?

- he is quite young and has shown a variety of opinions regarding what fit he wants. If he wants to taper now I really think he has a total different opinion about that one week later (please don't take it too offensive) and then he might regret his decision about tapering

I know there are a lot of people saying, "Ohh do what you want with your jeans." "What someone does with their jeans is their own business." etc. etc. etc.

Well, I for one, say, "Do to your jeans only what I would do to my jeans." or better, "Don't do to your jeans what I wouldn't do to my jeans." or even further, "I forbid anyone to do to their jeans what they want to do to them. Please ask me for advice first, then I will give my advice and then you must follow it." This way everybody on sufu can look the way I think they should look. The WAYWT posts could all be coordinated properly.

Alright? Settled.

Scientists from Faraday to JJ Thomson, Shockley to Berners-Lee, all labored so we could have access to hidden wisdom such as this. I am so grateful to them.

Biggest point for me against tapering:

I have (or don't know any) no tailor around here whom I would trust to alter my jeans. If i had the opportunety like Denim Doctors in LA I might think different about it. But so far I'm happy with most of my fits and like to change every now and then.

Reasons why I said "don't taper" to laxlife124 are:

- he has no acces to a a tailor he trust to so hemming and then ask for tapering?

- he is quite young and has shown a variety of opinions regarding what fit he wants. If he wants to taper now I really think he has a total different opinion about that one week later (please don't take it too offensive) and then he might regret his decision about tapering

I never even said I wanted to taper haha, I was just asking in the heavyweight thread if we could taper. I mean I never wanted to, but even after thinking it through I am most likely going to grow out of the jeans, so making them an even simmer fit wouldn't make sense. I do love the fit of my S500's though, IF I were to even bother getting them any form of tailored, its only to hem, or make the leg opening slightly smaller. And to be honest, I am more than satisfied with my pair :)

I don't know how my post in the heavyweight started this whole discussion though haha.

in the case of hemming, you need a tailor with a chainstitch machine or you sacrifice roping,

hem.jpg

regular lockstitch, rolled and pulled by hand

Scientists from Faraday to JJ Thomson, Shockley to Berners-Lee, all labored so we could have access to hidden wisdom such as this. I am so grateful to them.

As long as somebody recognizes that.

as this might be partially directed at me:

you´re taking this way to far, stacks.

i just told laxlife to not taper his jeans, cause i thought his would be good after a hem. ok,maybe i over emphasized, but this was only drected at that one guy´s samurais. i don´t have anything against tapering in general and had it done on a pair of 007s myself. wouldn´t do it again, though- will rather buy jeans that fit like i want them to.

imo everybody should do what they want with their jeans. i just thought that laxlife´s fit was good without a taper.

When I first saw this thread I thought it was actually my fault. It is. I should have never posted anything on tapering, or thought of tapering, this is what I started (not you, me).

How did u do that? Curious...

It's simple enough - the Union Special pulls the hem, as it does its job - look at the seam within the selvage and you'll see it's offset by a few mm. If you pull the hem around with a normal lockstitch or any other chainstitch machine you can get much the same look

If you pull the hem around with a normal lockstitch or any other chainstitch machine you can get much the same look

as long as you roll not fold your hem

So this is what happens when a few guys/gals has opinions on tapering...a THREAD FOR IT?! C´mon!!!

To each is own. Taper? WHO CARES? Not to taper? WHO GIVES A...?

So this is what happens when a few guys/gals has opinions on tapering...a THREAD FOR IT?! C´mon!!!

To each is own. Taper? WHO CARES? Not to taper? WHO GIVES A...?

^ Makes for superfluous discussion for grown men obsessed with pants.

Why not?

Ugh stacks quit clogging up my denim discussion forum with threads discussing denim.

Now if you'll excuse me, I have some important posting to attend to:

thread_hot_new.gifArtist Denim

views: 34,886

posted by SwedeAlex

icon1.gifHey Gun! That´s some GREAT GREAT denim!!! I still...

Hey Gun! That´s some GREAT GREAT denim!!! I still love my pair but if you´re making to order...I prob. can´t resist come spring;)

Keep them coming man!

forum: superdenim 2 hours ago replies: 259

thread_hot_new.gifSelf Edge x Dry Bones x Superfuture x Styleforum = SEXDBXSXS12

views: 260

posted by SwedeAlex

icon1.gifDAMN! These are nice! Would have loved to get me...

DAMN! These are nice! Would have loved to get me pair but can´t afford them right now! Awesome jeans though! Would rep...

forum: superdenim 2 hours ago replies: 20,674

thread_hot_new.gifShoes that look better with age...

views: 2,436,150

posted by SwedeAlex

icon1.gifNow, that´s some WORN shoes! Swdish: Jävlar vad...

Now, that´s some WORN shoes! Swdish: Jävlar vad dem va slitna! Grymt att använda ett par till de ser ut såhär!

forum: superdenim 2 hours ago replies: 13,998

thread_hot_new.gifWhat Are You Wearing Today (Denim Version)

views: 1,930,563

posted by SwedeAlex

icon1.gifDope DOPE Busters! Would love to get me some but...

Dope DOPE Busters! Would love to get me some but I can´t afford it right now and I´m working on a couple of other pairs...anyways dope fit!

lowercase CAPITAL lowercase (exclamation point) generic tangentially related comment (ellipses) compliment (exclamation point)

Oh, my bad for being nice to people and telling them they dress good or beat the shit out of their boots, or showing artisans love for their denim...that I actually bought.

But staring a thread about tapering is a FANTASTIC idea and I'm so sad I did not come up with this GREAT idea for a thread...

That's all STACKS...lil' b****

Ugh stacks quit clogging up my denim discussion forum with threads discussing denim.

Now if you'll excuse me, I have some important posting to attend to:

thread_hot_new.gifArtist Denim

views: 34,886

posted by SwedeAlex

icon1.gifHey Gun! That´s some GREAT GREAT denim!!! I still...

Hey Gun! That´s some GREAT GREAT denim!!! I still love my pair but if you´re making to order...I prob. can´t resist come spring;)

Keep them coming man!

forum: superdenim 2 hours ago replies: 259

thread_hot_new.gifSelf Edge x Dry Bones x Superfuture x Styleforum = SEXDBXSXS12

views: 260

posted by SwedeAlex

icon1.gifDAMN! These are nice! Would have loved to get me...

DAMN! These are nice! Would have loved to get me pair but can´t afford them right now! Awesome jeans though! Would rep...

forum: superdenim 2 hours ago replies: 20,674

thread_hot_new.gifShoes that look better with age...

views: 2,436,150

posted by SwedeAlex

icon1.gifNow, that´s some WORN shoes! Swdish: Jävlar vad...

Now, that´s some WORN shoes! Swdish: Jävlar vad dem va slitna! Grymt att använda ett par till de ser ut såhär!

forum: superdenim 2 hours ago replies: 13,998

thread_hot_new.gifWhat Are You Wearing Today (Denim Version)

views: 1,930,563

posted by SwedeAlex

icon1.gifDope DOPE Busters! Would love to get me some but...

Dope DOPE Busters! Would love to get me some but I can´t afford it right now and I´m working on a couple of other pairs...anyways dope fit!

lowercase CAPITAL lowercase (exclamation point) generic tangentially related comment (ellipses) compliment (exclamation point)

http://img152.imageshack.us/img152/7215/nnfe.jpg

picture of my n&f weird guys I had tapered from the inside seam by a tailor at about 9 months old. (they're 13 months in that picture)

at the time I realized that they stacked terribly with most of the shoes I wear so I decided to slim them down... they still faded the same afterwards and I've seen no problems after said tapering.

now in retrospect I wish I had decided to do this earlier in, but when it comes down to it it doesn't really make that much difference.

so I'm pro-taper I guess. If you're gonna spend money on jeans (and be seen in them almost every single day) you might as well make sure they fit, right?