Samurai S0110XJ or S0500XX

SoloC

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just felt the need to point out that there is nothing wrong with the fit of the PBJ AI. The only reason you see people selling them (and there have only been 2) is because they sized incorrectly.

agreed, too many people relying on the "stretching" which might or might not come.

I understand that some might think Samurai is a little flashy, but the only things that I think could be considered flashy is the selvedge and the back pocket stitching. The selvedge doesn't need to be shown and you can remove the back pocket stitching.

Personally I like everything about Samurai's, they do everything slightly better than other brands. I love the zero denim, even though I don't have a pair yet. So heavy and such a great color. If I could only have one pair of jeans it would be s5000vx.

Their LE's are real LE's, they don't release similar jeans many times. They have never done something like the 0500 before, the last time they did black jeans was in 2003 I think, and even that pair was very different form the 5000bk's. Their LE's are like their standard jeans with a little twist. I love it.

When I get a job in 5 years I am going to subscribe to their LE's, 1 pair a month, perfect!

i thought all you kids with the wild colored supreme nike dunkers and oversized $100 limited edition gold and silver silkscreened shirts were called "streetwear kids".

i would have liked to see

studio d'artisan (soon i guess)

denime

full count

the flat head

ricksons

cane repros

eternal

different warehouse

and not just the denim but the shirts, sweatshirts, etc....

AWW. LIFE DIDN'T TURN OUT THE WAY YOU WANTED IT TO, DID IT?

tf.

Guest Fade to Black
this is the 500

sj-s0500xx-04.jpg

våran panel tycker att man ska koka pastan i två år

that denim looks like it would wear like crazy after a year of repeated wearing and then a wash. I saw in a recent HK trend magazine a pic of samurai jeans that the creator of the label himself wore for 2 years, there was a pic of the jeans in its original state and the 2-year worn version, those jeans look like they've been buried in a mine since the 50s...awesome stuff but I don't know if I can handle their heavy denim. Also the Samurai creator said himself that the best way to wear in raw jeans isn't to go for too long without washing, he washes his jeans about once a month.

great to see a critical discussion of the brand. much credit to partytaco for the willingness to take some heat and generate some interesting conversation. some thoughts:

-what's really irritating about evisu is the reliance on the incredibly overt branding (gulls). branding on that level is two-sided: it lets you charge a big premium to those who want to be associated with the brand, but your product then becomes more and more associated with those who will pay the premium. i don't really see this with samurai. none of the details are identifiable from more than two or three feet away, and the back pocket stitching is understated and not even consistent between samurai lines. they really don't seem interested in branding as far as i can tell.

-this whole slubby denim thing (along with natural indigo dying, maybe) seems to be something of a (high-end) trend in the japanese jeans industry these days. personal preferences vary, and it's obviously legitimate to dislike slubby, but i think it a bit harsh to call it cheesy of samurai to lean in this direction, since every other maker seems to be doing it too. and their focus on heavier denims is sort of what they are all about.

-i wonder if some of the details that we in the west would call flashy (maybe over-the-top flashy) isn't a cultural misunderstanding on our part. one of the great things about japanese culture is how they add details to things--often beautiful details--that can only be appreciated by the owner. I think the pocket linings are one of these details in japanese denim. in the west we look at that and assume there's some sort of hidden mercantile agenda going on, but maybe it's just the continuation of a long tradition of craftsmanship.

• 8 months later...

Great bumpage TIP. I remember this thread but missed the discussion in the pages leading up to now. Nearly a year on I think Samurai are doing okay and haven't ventured into Evisu territory. Interestingly, I would nominate SDA for that comparison what with these being amongst their offerings

d1296.jpg

d1298_up.jpg

darti_j212.jpg

:eek: but I don't think these models detract from their more conventional stuff that find favour with us. I just think SDA have a broad portfolio to cover a few bases and so long as focus doesn't get diluted along the way I think that's pretty acceptable for companies to do.

• 9 months later...