ROY X CONE contest, 1.1.11 - 2.1.12

Paul T

Since the world is going to end tomorrow-

I love you all.

See you in hell or wherever.

I think it's already tomorrow here in NZ and everything's still hunky-dory so far. Or does the date only refer to US West Coast time or whatever it's called? :)

I think it's already tomorrow here in NZ and everything's still hunky-dory so far. Or does the date only refer to US West Coast time or whatever it's called? :)

Goodness me, surely you realise that The Rapture will commence in the United States, first? I suspect it will run by Central Time, that's where the most people will be looking up to the heavens for the angels, flying saucers etc.

^Great stuff! Mike, I remember my Melbourne zoo visit - got totally freaked out by an emu that wanted to be friends - something about a bird beig at my eye level...!!!

Robbie - ladderball looks like a hoot - must try it (with alcohol..)

Nice pick-up Farhad!

Paul - nice to know that the important bits weren't demolished!!

So this weekend is Victoria Day weekend in Canada, with Monday off. Our weekend started early yesterday, as our little one had no school . So we headed out with friends to a place called Elora - about an hour & a half west of the GTA.

Beautiful farmland, picturesque little town - Friday was a great day to go, as it becomes very busy & touristy on holidays & weekends.

On the way, quite a few OPP were on the roads - probably in preparation for the long weekend blitz

35d91be5.jpg

Elora

a2e9e5ab.jpg

Lots of over-priced "antiques"

ac8f9259.jpg

Small town denim steez!

81bf6461.jpg

First we took a walk along the river

9b404adf.jpg

Then we went over to the look-out area to get a view of Elora Gorge

0f9a39d0.jpg

21ed0f1a.jpg

The top of the gorge is surrounded by cedar forests - just lovely

1c752604.jpg

I'm always impressed by the hardiness of cedars, and their ability to put down roots almost anywhere!

8f532377.jpg

We hoofed down a long set of stairs to get to the water's edge

bb0604b1.jpg

After all that hiking around, we needed to re-fuel. So we dropped into a little pastry shop to check things out…

Mmmmmm

f7a77f86.jpg

We bought some of the best baklava I ever had

b1287826.jpg

An eclectic pastry shop - would you like some books or weapons with your pastry?

38b5331b.jpg

11b1b13f.jpg

We found a quiet spot by the river to eat and enjoy the view

1a0ed681.jpg

d9de6a66.jpg

The there was the obligatory playground stop

f3d82a77.jpg

6c630370.jpg

What I was wearing (Alden, RxC, Flathead)

ac5387b2.jpg

One of the best parts was seeing some of the original buildings, many dating back to the early 1800's

efae8028.jpg

Today my wife went to Canada Wonderland with our daughter & friends, while I'm at home, taking care of some "honey-do" items! More to come, and we still have lots of stuff planned for the rest of the weekend!

as the prophet fore sore it is time for RAPKAYAK

rap1g.jpg

3 layers sprayed on later

rap2.jpg

spotted these cool scaffolding castors to clean up and turn into something in our future

rap3d.jpg

just like christmas morning get up and rush to open presents

rap4i.jpg

and thats that done

rap5d.jpg

next weekend the varnish

then my lead role as maker of all the soft bits, seats, back rests, skirts etc

these really are our babies as it will have been 9 months when they are done

today we ride bikes

ka kite ano

went for a 30K bike ride to drop some cash off at my dads

wore my ROY boxers

gotta love the winners that drive past and yell HI ROY

ranonranonarat, sure, come to nz and you can paddle my kayak

My roys and I were cutting greens on friday. Love it when there's just enough dew...

nokia001-2.jpg

Go up to the green, choose a spot on the horizon, drive on and lower the units and keep a straight line whilst grabbing the flag out of it's cup as you go past. Come off the green and turn around and do the second stripe whilst plonking the flag back in the cup...

nokia002-2.jpg

Cut one half the green...

nokia003-2.jpg

..then the other including the clean-up strip..

nokia004-1.jpg

..and enjoy the views...

nokia2009.jpg

nokia005-1.jpg

nokia007-1.jpg

^ Lovely pics Dr Heech. I know you all hate golf, but one of my favorite things is getting that first tee-off of the morning, when the dew is still over the course, and it's all misty & quiet....

The weekend continued...

After Elora, we drove on to St Jacobs.

Typical scenery along the way

f84c056a.jpg

We stopped along the way to take some shots of horses in a field. I was so focused on one horse, that I didn't notice another one approaching me until he nuzzled my telephoto!

518dddf9.jpg

St Jacobs and neighbouring areas are home to many Mennonites - we knew we were getting closer when we started seeing more & more buggies on the street!

d09652bb.jpg

Our first stop was at an old mill/silo, which has been converted into 4 levels of shops, coffeehouses & historical/crafts displays

d8465d72.jpg

d1bfe06b.jpg

The quilts were really stunning

a3d4b0ea.jpg

Then we walked along the main street & took in the sights

e1a17c00.jpg

69c32a24.jpg

8d70a7ed.jpg

Mural depicting a Mennonite scene

ba10f317.jpg

Lots of buggies about

694375cb.jpg

b6393cd4.jpg

Further down the street, we stopped for an ice-cream, and a Mennonite family pulled up in their buggy. There were 4 children (2 boys, 2 girls), maybe between 3-6 years of age. Cute as buttons! Their dad bought ice cream for them, and I walked over to complement the parents on their beautiful family.

The 4 kids were sitting with legs dangling over the edge of the buggy, happily eating ice cream. The little girls wore long dresses, with apron & bonnet, while the lads had on dark coloured pants with suspenders, hats, and checked shirts.

I asked their parents if they would mind if I took some photos, and I was delighted when they told me to go ahead! I figured "nothing ventured, nothing gained", so when I finished with the shots, I asked if they would sign a model release for me. I was even more happy when they agreed! I promised to let them know if the photos get published, and yesterday I matted 4-5 really nice shots, and mailed the package off to them!

We noticed lots of really cool weathervanes

387d79e5.jpg

Further down the street, we found the shop that sells them. Very cool, funky place - they even had a model railroad that was suspended in the air, and the tracks weaved in & out of the store.

16a20f9d.jpg

3d1427fb.jpg

79cde7d4.jpg

The pups, enjoying a quiet moment.

76536e22.jpg

By the time we got back to the car, they were ready to sleep all the way home!

ffb6b344.jpg

We knew we had left farm country far behind when I spotted this…. Look closely - the whole car is wrapped in carbon fibre. SMH.

bf82019f.jpg

Hope you all had a great weekend!!!

fried grashoppers?a friend from Sierra Leone told me how delicious they are.i still have my doubts.

Yes sir. They're not bad - crunchy, salty and rich - but I'm not a huge fan. Homegirl on the other hand...

Thanks dkatz, it's nice to be working again, I will put my Roy's to good use, next month. PLEASE STAY AWAY FROM THE EBOLA VIRUS!!!!!

Hahhahaha, doing my best. Fortunately it's only been confirmed in one place, a couple hours away from Kampala an in a district I never visit.

I asked their parents if they would mind if I took some photos, and I was delighted when they told me to go ahead! I figured "nothing ventured, nothing gained", so when I finished with the shots, I asked if they would sign a model release for me. I was even more happy when they agreed! I promised to let them know if the photos get published, and yesterday I matted 4-5 really nice shots, and mailed the package off to them!

That's great! I look forward to seeing the shots. Not surprised they were fine with such an upstanding and well-clad gentleman as yourself photograph their family though. And you really didn't see any carbon fiber horse-drawn buggies out there? There must be one racing buggy in that town...

TG - beautiful kayak!

Three weeks left of work, and counting...

Unfortunately my Roy replacements arrived at work today (35% cotton,65% polyester...mmm). Awfull.

sufupost001.jpg

So took an opportunity to take some pix before they're washed and finally given their new part-time wear status -

sufupost004.jpg

sufupost005.jpg

sufupost011.jpg

sufupost007.jpg

Will try and stretch it out another week hopefully.

Dam Heech!!!! They look amazing!!!!!

Thanks Cory, although I think it's the ground-in sand and rootzone which makes them look good.

They do look beautiful, Charlie.

Making you wear polyester? That infringes your human rights! Maybe you could commission a copy in duck or cotton drill?

Yeah, they feel horrible to wear, and look indestructable to boot.

Although I'm sure it's not anything that a close shave with a tractor PTO cant cure.

Shot mike again for the Inventory and went on a hike after words with him and his lovely wife charla.

IMG_1190.jpg

IMG_1192.jpg

lots of horses in the neighborhood

IMG_1196.jpg

IMG_1200.jpg

and chickens

IMG_1197.jpg

but let's not forget about the jeans he has. These are all from the late 1800's including the oldest pair of levi's from 1873 to the far right

IMG_1167.jpg

IMG_1155.jpg

which I'm holding here

d9679ce9.jpg

We were of course both wearing our Roys the whole day.

IMG_1191.jpg

cheers!!!