ROY X CONE contest, 1.1.11 - 2.1.12

Paul T

good job farhad! those jeans are fitting a lot better since the first time you posted fit pics on them. i have to say that these are the most comfortable jeans i own. mike is also kicking a lot of ass in his pair. they look somewhat clean from pics that were posted a while back.

robbie i do remember something about a cone blog. but wouldnt that make them infringing an agreement of some sorts that they were only supposed to supply denim exclusively to levis? i might be wrong about that though.

Shot mike again for the Inventory and went on a hike after words with him and his lovely wife charla.

IMG_1190.jpg

IMG_1192.jpg

lots of horses in the neighborhood

IMG_1196.jpg

IMG_1200.jpg

and chickens

IMG_1197.jpg

but let's not forget about the jeans he has. These are all from the late 1800's including the oldest pair of levi's from 1873 to the far right

IMG_1167.jpg

IMG_1155.jpg

which I'm holding here

d9679ce9.jpg

We were of course both wearing our Roys the whole day.

IMG_1191.jpg

cheers!!!

Farhad and Mike sick as usual! Incredible skills Farhad!!! Mad props!

Looks like you're making up for it on your days off!

And I LOVE that owl. I have an excellent victorian display cabinet and amy trying to talk lady t into allowing a stuffed animal or skull with little success. (And more seriously, I haven't seen one on my travels when she's not with me)

Re the blog: I've sent them a package of stuff, they just haven't used it!

Should we launch our own? Would be good and easy to have something with bigger photos & commemorate this. Blogger would be easy, right?

^ that could be pretty fun, Paul! But who wants to volunteer to manage it? *sits on hands*

farhad and sansome - I look forward to kicking it with you guys when I'm back in a few months!

eltopo - damn those are looking good despite the "occasional" wear!

Few day recap:

Saturday I spent conducting interviews from 8am until 4pm. At least got to salvage some of the day by popping down to the beach in Entebbe.

IMG_1596.jpg

Sunday, Homegirl and I went over to a friend's place. The friend owns a fair trade craft company here called awava (good stuff if you're in the market for small home goods or gifts for a lady friend) and wanted Homegirl to model a new "sundress" she's selling. I manned the camera for a while

IMG_1325_sm.JPG

IMG_1164_sm.JPG

and then passed the camera off to a friend so I could lounge with a cup of coffee

543abc3a49a74850ba629818d01aa5d7_7.jpg

...but then I got tired of Homegirl getting all the attention, so the ROYxCones were dropped to the floor for my debut

IMG_1198_sm.JPG

whiiiich is of course now displayed for the world to see on awava's blog. Great. (psh, I can't even pretend I don't like the attention)

Monday morning started out with a phone call with the parents - normally talk to them on (my) Sunday night, but we missed each other the night before. It's always good to hear their voices.

IMG_1598.jpg

IMG_1597.jpg

Aaaaand back to the office. While I was on the phone with some staff, I had a wander upstairs and discovered the hatch to the roof was open. Weee!

IMG_1609.jpg

Oh! And a nice little something showed up in the mail the other day. Not sure what Robbie's trying to tell me, but I think I should hide this from Homegirl..

IMG_1610.jpg

Monday evening, Homegirl and I felt like feeling like we were in America, so we went to the most Claim Jumper/Denny's/Olive Garden gross chain restaurant feeling place in Uganda: Spur's Silver City Steakhouse

IMG_1616.jpg

Check out that amazing authentic American Southwest decor!

And the gigantic menues with photos of the food!

IMG_1615.jpg

We went with the Monday two-for-one burger deal, and forewent fries in favor of hitting the salad bar (!!!). Little did the establishment know that I am the salad bar's arch nemesis. Managed to fit a couple kilos worth of salad bar items on the tiny salad plate.

IMG_1617.jpg

Afterwards a friend told us about a "jam session" that apparently happens at the National Theatre and Cultural Center every Monday night.

IMG_1618.jpg

I wish I had known about this long ago... I feel a general dearth of "culture" in my life here, and this certainly filled a bit of that hole!

Aaaand now, back to formatting a survey. Less than three weeks of work left...

Paul - I'd be willing to help/collaborate on a blog for the contest. I can't commit to hours and hours of work on anything but I tend to have a great deal of time to kill out here .

re: Medine... I hope he is alright, the flooding is creeping towards N.O. at a steady pace from what I hear.

Dkatz - I probably should have been a tad more attentive to the post cards. I got a box of like 100 for Christmas and have been trying to send all of them out slowly but surely. No hidden message here,

I did send a huge amount of material thru to Cone - I know they're busy, it's a shame they're not getting mileage out of it.

Robbie, if you were to set up a blogger site, I could send all the production pics, etc.

If we did it, I think it should be as a photo blog - all picture based, just with captions and dates. That way it wouldn't duplicate this thread, you'd be able to appreciate all the wear, and it would stand for ever!

I would like to go ahead and start working on a blog if we're all okay with it.

I understand that photographs are personal property, so I'll be sending out messages to ensure that we're all ok with this.

Like Paul suggested, it will be strictly pictures. And likely chronicle week-by-week posts (i.e. week 1, week 2..). I also think a good idea might be to tag each photo with the contestants sufu handle to make it easier to surf through.

I am open to other suggestions as well.

And if it isn't something enough of us are interested in we can come up with something else.

I believe blogger would be the easiest and would allow as many folks who were interested in the blog to moderate/contribute.

-rF

Farhad & Eltopo - great pics. Both your Roys are looking great! Cory, re your "knee" comment in the MF thread - now that I'm shooting more, I feel the pain! I've started using my Arc Teryx "kneecaps" (very low profile kneepads that I use for telemarking) under my jeans - been saving me from more hurt! ;)

Aaaand now, back to formatting a survey. Less than three weeks of work left...

Great pics buddy! OMG - I can't wait to see your posts once you're back home! :D

Dkatz - I probably should have been a tad more attentive to the post cards. I got a box of like 100 for Christmas and have been trying to send all of them out slowly but surely. No hidden message here,

Karma... :D Blog sounds great Robbie - look forward to it!

robbie - haha, I know you meant no hidden message (you even said so on the card!), but couldn't pass up an opportunity for a jab!

I think the blog idea sounds great. I've been finding myself wishing I had some more clean way of going back and recapping everyone's wear/fits, so doing photo-only posts tagged for participants sounds perfect! And maybe after the contest we could assemble a faaaaaatty pdf "Contest Book"

riff- haha, my posts once I'm back home are going to be "and today I tried to find a job" for a while...

but there should be a few pretty interesting posts between when work ends and when those begin... more info soon

I would like to go ahead and start working on a blog if we're all okay with it.

I understand that photographs are personal property, so I'll be sending out messages to ensure that we're all ok with this.

I believe blogger would be the easiest and would allow as many folks who were interested in the blog to moderate/contribute.

-rF

Sounds great.

One of the conditions of the contest in all the notes that went out was that people provide monthly updates which can be used by Roy, or by Cone on their blog.

killin it with the updates guys - riff,farhad,daniel,paul and all the others!

still loving this whole thing...and still feeling bad for not joining it :(

anyways - riff is it possible to hit me up again with some infos on your setup?...pics are looking fine as hell...and i def.can say that your skills are getting better and better...keep it up my friend ;)

Wonderful photos the past few pages! I love that lineup of the old Levi's, farhad/Mike.

My Roys and I were out on a field trip for one of my programs last Friday. We were in a state park where a major river flows into a reservoir that supplies Salt Lake City. The river was flowing fast, but nowhere near peak. It's going to be a hell of a spring runoff this year!

FNxo5.jpg

I don't think I'll camp in this site!

ngExs.jpg

Busy little beavers! It's amazing how quickly a beaver can fell a tree, chew it into 5ft sections, and push it into the water- about 2 nights.

RjYAP.jpg

Oh, shit!!

vz1vp.jpg

On the home improvement front, I've been finishing up a few small jobs. I built this little phone cabinet with an outlet and phone jack, only to remember that I've been using just a mobile for the past 5- years.

MHG1Z.jpg

I also reinstalled the transom mechanisms so they work again.

goveI.jpg

The last two rooms still needed outlets, lights, and switches, so I connected those up and had to connect each room to the main breaker box. Before I open it up, let's turn off the main power to the house, just to be safe.

vaq7H.jpg

Working by headlamp now, the white neutral wire goes to the neutral bus, the bare ground wire to the ground bus, and the black hot wire to the breaker, which snaps into the panel.

11yjv.jpg

Close everything up, turn the power back on, and test the outlets- check.

ULvMi.jpg

And lights- check!

E5Uwy.jpg

aaaand, of course I forgot to take photos of the Roys, but I was wearing them the whole time...

lovely stuff, Zissou and Heech.

This was kinda my present to myself for finishing my book, and it links with Roy as Cone sent the fabric to me to say thank you. Roy was gonna make it into a bag but got busy, so I used this fella trained in saddlery to make a traditional, English kit bag - but with lovely American indigo duck. I heard this was the last lengths of the indigo they had in stock, haha!

THe bag was a bargain for the work that went into it, details on the duck thread.

duckbag.jpg

duck3.jpg

Stop posting that bag already. I am getting jealous.

Isn't there a thread for what I am feeling right now?

Here's some pics of what my Roys and I were doing this afternoon.

070c8caa83724aeab3efb64c80d382bb_7.jpg

Stopped into Tiede's antiques/junk it is in Overton,NE.

2d1de8311c404432826a89ce4765a02c_7.jpg

Tons and tons of old packaging. Spice tins, you name it. They had bar after bar of Ivory soap from the 40's. A ton of Bryll cream, typewrtier ribbon tins. I could have spent hours pawing through it all.

5f81ab47633648f8afb7e7a41574b7b1_7.jpg

Got really excited but they were both TINY sizes (4-5) and (6-7)

fda12d5054ca48518e0f60a62f29b994_7.jpg

The building is really cool. Almost all of the punched tin ceiling was in-tact. It was an old Ford dealership up until the early 60's the owner said. He had it packed to the gills with all sorts of stuff they'd cleaned out of estates all over Central Nebraska.

7f0cdd9f7fd848ac945f9f13f56a0bce_7.jpg

terrible picture, but they had shelf after shelf of books.

236765b8d55342e2af92549219fd29ce_7.jpg

He probably had 4-500 old license plates.

Here's some of the spoils :

249609_10150196824051835_508016834_7450293_4060612_n.jpg

And to keep it on topic :

247999_10150196826456835_508016834_7450314_6957665_n.jpg

Thought this was linen or chambray at first. The wife tells me its just basic cotton oxford. Still pretty cool though.

250669_10150196827066835_508016834_7450322_21168_n.jpg

Not enough here to do much with, maybe 1/2 a yard. But should be good for patching stuff up with though.

ohh and the jeans :

DSCN8372.jpg[/img]

Worked:

5763485546_dcb5f71e85_o.jpg

5763485482_14465622fe_o.jpg

5763485392_6621719d16_o.jpg

To add to the Roy on Roy hotness, Roy gave me this prototype shirt to wear in over the summer. Selvedged light canvas garment dyed in natural indigo by these two ladies in Oakland that are experimenting with vegetable dyes. I'll be wearing it every day and washing it gently and infrequently to see how the fabric and dye age and change with wear.

I am a bit jealous too. Hmmmm.

^Whatever, man. You have the only Roy ducks! :P

Got any closeups of the shirt, Roy6? :)

Robbie- I'm pretty certain that's chambray. If I'm not mistaken, oxford cloth typically as two warp and two weft threads twisted together prior to weaving, giving it a heavier weight. I'm really jealous of your finds! The antique shops around here are mostly full of utter shit.

yea, this guy 'Carl Tiede' is at every local auction. He and his wife clean out 35-40 estates a year. I wish I would have felt comfortable enough to take more pictures.You would be in heaven there zissou. He's got so much stuff I was there 2 hours and still didn't even see every room.

Special Roy shirt???

Replaced the band on my Datejust.

This belonged to my grandfather, and it was his first non-Japanese watch back in the 1970s.

p5270032v2.jpg

p5270032.jpg

The leather is bark-tanned, very light brown colour - so I can play around with the texture or colour.

Haven't really decided what it'll look like yet...

Dye in black, navy or cordovan/dark cherry?

Interestingly enough, the Missus and I were clearing out her loft the other weekend and found this exact same lego set (complete) amonst other things. It will all go to the nippers birthday next week.

251084_10150196822711835_508016834_7450280_3372764_n.jpg

We also found a massive collection of 'Hotwheels' cars, still in their blister packs from 1967-69!

Love this photo Robbie!

254984_10150196885136835_508016834_7450782_3290229_n.jpg

This thread is on point.