ROY X CONE contest, 1.1.11 - 2.1.12

Paul T

Ranon, this promotion is part of your year in your Roys. I think the only 'rule' was that you commit to chronicling your year and wearing them when possible. I for one have enjoyed your updates, and don't think its too far out of the question to think you could still get a lot of really good wear in them if you continued to wear them nights and weekends.

glad you're still in.

This! Glad you're still gonna rock them Ran! And congrats! :)

Edit: I've also been meaning to say thanks to Robbie for the post wash fit. All your Roys seem to improve fit-wise with each wash. Mine are ridiculously baggy now, but I'm trying to hold off for a bit longer.

Shorty - they look great!

Just a quick and dirty update... with a guest, who's been too busy tinkering with his time machine lately...

Had the normal jaunt with the nipper sunday morning...

trumans.jpg

there's a huge bangladeshi festival in brick lane which was really buzzing.

Bentley.jpg

It was wonderful to see lots of local kids having a great time

schoolkids.jpg

After a brief stint back in Greenwich I went back to more or less the same area: the Ten Bells, an old pub in the centre of Spitalfields - the place where a couple of Jack the Ripper's victims used to drink, and according to legend the man himself.

Today, it played host to another celebrity:

rnr.jpg

I was asking where the time machine was and he explained it was heavy and he couldn't afford the excess baggage charge. For all that, his jeans were looking pretty good.

They've updated this pub (altho they've kept the old tiles), and put in a new bar. Bad.

But they've re-introduced a beer from the legndary, local brewery, Trumans, home of the chimney, at the top, that dominates the area: Truman's Runner. Good. We tested one and a half pints IIRC and proclaimed it most satisfactory.

A quick walk round the rest of Spitalfields, round the old Weaver's houses, spying in their windows... then up near Columbia road, by the old flower market and to another pub I've discovered recently, which wasn't as trendy, nor as packed, with some real locals, called The Marksman.

marksman.jpg

One pint of Meantime London Pale ale, and a half of their London Lager, IIRC. Then off in a cab to a Pakistani restaurant in wHitechapel, for a pretty convincing curry, which at a tenner a head must surely stand as rnr's best-value recent meal, if not the best.

Then at the bottom of the street was this beautiful bit of history: London's last bell foundry - makers of Big Ben, and the Liberty Bell.

thebells.jpg

bells2.jpg

Sorry for lousy photos - hands are obvously getting shaky, too much caffeine.

The restaraunt was dry - probabyl a good thing. By now it was 11, we'd been yakking nonstop for nearly five hours - shared character notes and information on all of you folks, of course - most of the pubs were closed, but there was a swish new place called the Hoxton Bar and Grill still open. Selling dull generic beers at heart-stoppingly high prices, but the Guinness was bearable.

rnr didn't look too bad for a guy who'd arrived on the redeye this morning. Hope you made the morning train, Chris, and I hope you had a blast. I did.

I missed the last train home, so it was a bus thru some of the more interesting, winding bits of London, then a walk home through Deptford.

boats.jpg

A bit drunk that night, but I do remember meeting up with a chap named Paul. A good bloke and a great tour guide.

Updates to come.

Cheerio!

rnr.jpg

I was asking where the time machine was and he explained it was heavy and he couldn't afford the excess baggage charge. For all that, his jeans were looking pretty good.

You'd think someone smart enough to build a time machine would have figured it out- if you step out of time the world will revolve around you. Unlike real life where that proposition is merely subjective.

My Roys and I got rid of a shit ton of junk today! Between the dumpster I rented, and my junk-collecting friend's two truckloads, I'm in pretty great shape. I've always tried to get rid of stuff, but the basement and garage have been hiding a lot from me. Then again, I have been in this house for about 8 years now...

Haven't been there for a while but I always enjoyed eating there and it's a nice change from most of the generic Bengali-owned establishments in Brick Lane. They used to let you consume your own booze in there, not sure if that still applies.

^ Fortunately I've cleverly masked my identity, but ensuring that my username is in no way related to my actual name, and never showing my face.

Oh hold on a moment, someone's knocking really hard on the door. Back in a jiffy!

just back from a little trip from the countryside,always great to see how this thread evolved after a few days of absence.

ran,very wise decision to stay with us,you avoided the neg train in the last minute.i enjoy your contributions and i am more interested in your life after work,keep the pics coming.

Paul,this is so perfect in every sense:

5714064176_8c2bcd1df5_z.jpg

what a bloody handsome bastard,looking almost as good as me.

anyway,after a 1,5 hour drive last friday,we finally reached the little house of our friend and her family in the deepest middle of beautiful nowhere:

5713471525_6914a2f710_z.jpg

its encircled by 200 years old oak trees

5713471959_6a196042c6_z.jpg

lots of space everywhere,a trampoline and a hammock

5714030846_eaafe7e2da_z.jpg

enough to keep the kids happy

5713472601_7ea92e005c_z.jpg

5713473035_a7ca55a464_z.jpg

we did some strolls in the nearby village of ca. 100 dwellers

5713476723_7212f71c18_z.jpg

passed this abandoned builing

5714037386_a0678a95c1_z.jpg

went inside and finally found the loo of doom.after this my bowels had an obstruction for two days.

dkatz,i've beaten you at the toilet-front,right?

5713489605_96caa9b971_z.jpg

went back into the idyll.

5713473955_43c2506508_z.jpg

I am glad that you decided to stick Ran. We are a cadre more powerfull than the KISS Army ca 1977! (You do realize there is mandatory face painting for the second half of the contest, right?)

What a great place almostnice. One can almost feel the warm sunshine, and cool forestyness.

Good to see switch again. I almost thought we chased him off with our good-natured horseplay (he's such a gentle soul).

I had to spend the last few days revisiting some old friends (Lee Zeds, and 20s 201s) One of my crappily, plier applied suspender buttons popped off. I got a new set, and was given a choice of the new and old style pins. Apparantly, I had gotten the new style before (single diameter, nickel/tin plate). I opted for the old style (the pin necks down from a fat shank to a narrow one and is unplated brass) to see if it worked better. It was not a proper double blind test though, as I also used the proper equipment this time. The arbor press made it quick, slick and tight as (fill in your own level of vulgarity). The right tool makes all the difference in the world.

arborsmall.jpg

As much as I liked wearing the other kit for a bit, jumping back into my ROYs (like a fireman with the boots already there) was like coming home.

no no no no ran, please do drop out. ill take em off yr hands and make sure they get all the polluted tropical sweat and liquefied horse shit (see vid below) jakarta can muster in my daily commute (on a vespa):

DNwJIIm23n0

(for serious) :D:D:D