ROY X CONE contest, 1.1.11 - 2.1.12

Paul T

second that question. gorgeous jacket. cant rep.

Thanks guys! Yeah it is the Mister Freedom Black Mulholland Master. Mine has a little more shine to it since I waxed it with two coatings. Love this jacket..

Doc- I'm with you on land rovers. I've had a discovery and it was such a fun car. Ate more than me but I loved it. I would love a defender 110 but super hard to get one in the USA (unless you import one yourself) as it was only imported in 1993.

Paul would love a copy signed sealed and delivered as well. Congrats again.

Eltopo-killer pics and the jacket looks ace amigo.

Defenders rule around here in the English countryside, mostly battered to hell. I'll get some photos on my travels sometime.

We looked at getting one for our second car (defenders are rubbish on long journeys) but my wife wasn't down with the agricultural nature of them.

Today we had a snow day. I was feeling ill, so it turned out to be a good thing.

I sat around and watched a lot of netflix, but I also churned out this little collage:

188341_10150104283876835_508016834_6871346_6532418_n.jpg

I started feeling better so I ran out to get some milk, this is me on my way in the door after re-shoveling the back walk:

DSCN9186.jpg

-rF

Guest denimefreak21oz
i definatley want a signed one Paul, but i gotsta wait a couple of weeks cause ive just had the motherload of bills all dropped on me at once

today we used a break in the weather to go out and weed our much neglected garden

hatch6.jpg

hatch7.jpg

of course sausage (pronounced so saggy) came out to inspect the clearance

hatch8o.jpg

then did what cats do in dirt

hatch9.jpg

then went off to catch mice in the neighbours overgrown lawn

hatch10.jpg

then it rained so we are back inside working on a wedding dress that we couldnt care less about

nice fit on you..looks like jeans for women on you..femenin figures he he.the first pic..

Love the '70's Lee Stormrider, robbie. Where did you pick that up?

I can't remember if it was a local pick up, or if we found it over in Kearney,NE. I'd been wanting one like it in denim, like the 'Wrange Coats' wrangler made. I think it was my wife that saw this one IIRC. I keep hoping I'll stumble onto a jean jacket of the same provenance as the 301's I found for Paul a while back. It's sort of a bittersweet blessing that Thrift stores and Junk Shops are about all i've found today within a 50 mile radius that's legal.

@ robbie: What is the meaning/s of the collage?

I can't read Japanese. I carried a piece of old composition paper around in the back pocket of my roys for a month or so maybe. Cut up both papers, and did a little typing on them with an olivetti underwood 22 and added other found pieces of print too. I was mostly messing around with the texture of the different papers. It's hard to photograph all the layers but I probably used 7 or 8 pages of paper total.

I wish there were some implied message, but if there is I can't speak to it.

Doc- combs are looking great!

I hope you all will forgive a standard-dkatz megapost.

Homegirl's been back West in Masaka for the past couple weeks, and will remain there for the coming month or two (ranon - slight commiseration at least?), so I decided to go visit last weekend. Striking out from dirty, gritty Kampala.

Anyone thirsty?

IMG_1092.jpg

Some interestingly overtly-displayed heavy police machinery on Mityana roundabout. I imagine a bit of an intimidation-investment to ensure no one tries to get Egyptian/Tunisian(/Libyan?) with their lingering frustration after the elections.

IMG_1093.jpg

Love driving buy these stools. Documented my purchase of a few back in my FH 3001 Tour days...

IMG_1095.jpg

Always tempted to stop and buy more!

Stopped to document the ROYxCones crossing the equator (North to South). A couple kids came screaming (figuratively and literally) out of a nearby shop hollering "MUZUNGU MUZUNGU MUZUNGU". I wasn't quite in the mood for being a play-thing, so I ignored them. They followed me as a set my camera on the spare tire of my car and posed away. Resulted in a few pretty funny photos of my ass posing and the kids looking perplexed. Crazy damn bazungu always doing crazy damn bazungu-things.

IMG_1098.jpg

In a store/coffee-shop/charity-NGO (everydamnthing in this country is ALSO an charity-NGO)... always ready to take advantage of a mirror

IMG_1104.jpg

Reppin' me alma mater

IMG_1108.jpg

IMG_1109.jpg

A bunch of random shops have popped up to take advantage of the mild tourism drawn by the equator. Including a "paper arts" shop

IMG_1116.jpg

Mostly random paper-mache (docblue - how's that in French?) crap

IMG_1112.jpg

I dig these masks though! Come to think of it, kinda look like portraits almostnice and pault, eh?

IMG_1114.jpg

Mildly cute turtle made of grass

IMG_1115.jpg

Decided I could probably find some use for this bark-cloth box for $1

IMG_1117.jpg

Farewell, equator!

IMG_1118.jpg

Back on the road. A regular feature: police check-points. What usually happens the 10% of the time I'm actually stopped at these is the cop makes some slight show of "checking" (poking my backpack on the front seat, opening my glove compartment, etc), and then promptly asks "do you have airtime/soda/water for me?". In other words "give me money 'cause I'm a cop and I have an effing big gun". Fortunately I've never had any of them do/say anything more than "you want me to die of thirst?" when I decline.

IMG_1119.jpg

Looking forward to this road being finished...

IMG_1121.jpg

A regular feature on this stretch near the lake: fishermen selling fish on the side of the road. Usually they're actually facing the road, though.

IMG_1127.jpg

DEVELOPMENT! Thank you to the EU or whoever is funding this construction since the Ugandan can't afford to build/repair its own fucking roads since that would mean they had less money left for buying votes and lining their pockets.

IMG_1129.jpg

Q: What is development best at doing for people in developing countries?

A: teaching the people in that country how to get more money from development organizations.

Dust + exhaust = "Ugandan ochre" on jeans

IMG_1131.jpg

The hawkers in lab coats (why lab coats?) descend.

IMG_1134.jpg

Matoke!

IMG_1138.jpg

Driving a lot makes me feel like this

IMG_1141.jpg

Homegirl had left some fabric with a tailor in Kampala, which I brought to her and immediately made her try it on. She swears she'll never wear the two pieces concurrently again... we'll see about that!

IMG_1144.jpg

Resplendent in chickens

Saturday morning did some work, then headed out to Lake Nabugabu for a bit of R&R. Pretty beautiful out there

IMG_1147.jpg

IMG_1163.jpg

Practicing at being less of a grownup

IMG_1166.jpg

Back in Masaka town. I've walked by this hand-painted advertisement in a store window several times now, and am seriously tempted to try to buy it. It has a Warhol pop art feel to it

IMG_1167.jpg

$100 for only 2000 Shillings ($0.80)!

IMG_1169.jpg

Sadly, it was a chocolate bar. I think this would qualify as counterfeiting in the US, though, given it's near-realistic size and rendering. Hah!

Homegirl's beautiful home away from home

IMG_1170.jpg

Saturday night, decided to get the ball rolling while beginning to cook dinner. 8.6%... this should do the trick.

IMG_1171.jpg

And, unsurprisingly, it tasted like crap.

We had done all the prep to cook burgers when the power went out. Homegirl - and I will never understand why - opted for an electric cook-top. Damnit.

So we got creative

IMG_1173.jpg

A dozen tea-lights and a couple tuna-cans later - BINGO. Cooked those suckers NO problem!

Tending the flame with a match stuck into the tines of the fork

IMG_1178.jpg

Had to lower the pans to a one-tuna-can height to increase the heat

Nothing like a nice candle-lit candle-cooked dinner!

IMG_1189.jpg

Sunday. The locals were restless.

IMG_1192.jpg

Infrastructure. Homegirl "taking out the trash" while the trash-attendants look on.

IMG_1195.jpg

Aaaaand that was about that. I wound up deciding to leave Monday morning and managed to make the drive from Masaka to my office in 2:05, door to door. Pretty nuts, given that it usually takes me about 2.5 hours!

I have some more updates from this week, which hopefully won't be quite so intensive.

Holly shit Dkatz your making me look bad, super post!!

Hah, we all know you do fascinating shit on the regular, Mike - just gotta keep your camera at-hand!

we love intensive. WOnderful stuff. I wish we had trash attendants like that.

Glad to hear it! And nooo you don't. These lovely trashodactyls are some of the foulest beasts I've ever come close to.

Actually having said that I do have a bizarre sort of affinity for these grotesque creatures and their neck-sticles.

Apologies for the lack of input of late - thanks though to Paul for the couple of shots of us in Greenwich. To be honest, I've not had an enormous amount of fun activity to document, until earlier this week when the sun came out.

The lovely Kandy was undertaking a photography project for one of the Brighton 'Open House' events and I got to tag along. The theme was moving house and so we set out to build different rooms from vintage dolls house furniture and set them up different locations in the country.

Kandy:

Kandy.jpg

A kitchen in the woods:

Kitchen.jpg

A bedroom on a stile on top of the downs and me about to tread on it:

Style.jpg

We stopped for some refreshment on route and treated ourselves to some Harveys, lovely local sussex bitter:

Harveys.jpg

Pint2.jpg

And settled back next to the enormous fire

Fire.jpg

Then to the beach for the bathroom scene:

candyonlocation1.jpg

Finished before the sun set behind the pier

Brighton_pier.jpg

great posts dkatz i love it. TheClerk too, you are a real countryman.

5514635435_4684972897_z.jpg

today i paid a visit to an old friend

5515229284_17e0723679_z.jpg

trying to make some arty pic. my phone is quite good tho dont ya think?

5514639671_4e52b1551f_z.jpg

then i went to visit my favorite bike shop, and take some pics again.

5514640873_aca8d98fe2_z.jpg

5515232194_fb70f119b7_z.jpg

5515230668_140fdcd8a0_z.jpg

5514638137_39d2468b85_z.jpg

cant wait to get mine

not exactly today but yesterday i dropped by OGL's workshop again to bum around. nice guys and great place to be around after work to have a bitter lemon soda after work. good stuff. they've got some really nice burg wallets that i've got my eye on. hopefully something for me soon but those are real nice.

R1003153.jpg

R1003154.jpg

R1003157.jpg

R1003158.jpg

bonus waywt

R1003156.jpg

hickey shirt

roy x cone

clarks suede DBs

today, hoping the best for everyone in japan affected as well as anyone else around the world who got caught in mother nature's worst.

my ROY boxers and i went to cyclocross

normally we go as drunken cheerleaders/ score keepers

but this week mr's daugter MADE me race

we were doing fine

we rode the spiral

we passed the mud

we got to a 45 degree incline

i think i can no cant yes i can

doubt slowed us down and we didnt

tried to throw the bike away but it bit me

glad i had changed out of my ROYs as they would most prob have some hard wear on them and then id be winning this comp, and we cant have that

awkward shot of my elbow bruise coming up 30 mins after being smashed by handle bar

bruised.jpg

and knee clevage bashed by pedal

bruiser.jpg

Tough Guys dont cry

they are now lovely shades of deep purple and golden yellow