ROY X CONE contest, 1.1.11 - 2.1.12

Paul T

Thanks all!

^ What is this 'Lowe's'?

A big box store. I'm sure you have some comparable companies in Australia- they buy cheap (almost completely from China and other very low-wage regions) and sell cheap, and because of their large volume, can price certain categories especially low so as to undercut smaller operations. When they have driven the smaller operations out of business, they end up with a monopoly.

^I know, the irony isn't lost on me. My last truck was a F150, but my company now uses Toyota vehicles only, and so...

Anyway, Made in Japan is a close runner up for me to Made in America.

Roy, if it's any consolation your Toyota was probably at least assembled here in the US. Depending on the year it might even have been made right here in NorCal at the sadly now closed NUMMI plant. It was probably done in Texas though.

Oh and I love Floorcraft too, when I had a garden I went there all the time. Sad that Lowes finally got to get that spot across the street. That hardware/lumber store there was my favorite too.

^I know, the irony isn't lost on me. My last truck was a F150, but my company now uses Toyota vehicles only, and so...

Anyway, hasn't Toyota been running an ad claiming that a greater percentage of the parts and labor in their trucks is from the United States than in Ford trucks?

^Yeah, that sweetens the pill a little bit.

Still, it's strange to live in the country that invented the car and (to a degree- I hear Ireland had the first production line making stone axes?) the modern production line, and have my car at least partially imported from around the globe.

Like having to buy LVC made in Tunisia from Europe.

I'm glad the gardening post was well received. I guess part of the point of the contest is to not just see the beginning product and end results, but how the jeans got from point A to point B.

Some folks here are falling down:

Cash

ShortyLong

Lostinthesupermarket

rnrswitch (shame!)

I'm calling you out here and now.

Take a camera around with you for a few days, let's see what your ROYs are up to.

^ What is this 'Lowe's'?

One of several bullshit operations coast to coast in the US who along with Home Depot, Mennards,etc are putting all but the local nurseries (atleast in this area : NE,OK,KS) out of business. There are a few high traffic smaller nurseries I can think of in OKC, but their prices are 40-50% higher than the big box stores. These places lead some people to believe DIY is the only way to go or you'll end up with unbonded and uninsured ' bargain landscapers'. It drove the price my boss had to charge so high because there were so many a-holes charging 10-15$ a yard to mow a yard and other shennanigans like that.

Anyway, hasn't Toyota been running an ad claiming that a greater percentage of the parts and labor in their trucks is from the United States than in Ford trucks?

I actually pictured you as a dodge guy,roy.

I think I heard Ford actually upped domestic parts production in 2010. I know they re-opened a plant to build the Fusion, I am not really sure about their trucks. If I had the $$$ and a need for one, I'd buy an f-250 diesel just to have a big ass truck.

The weather is RIDICULOUS, high 50's in January: WHODATHUNKIT?! Also, I had been resisting the double cuff, and decided it looks better this way (after being told so by styleforum,my wife,and others)

DSCN7889.jpg

Found out these jeans have a perfect spot for my ipod

DSCN7890.jpg

(i tried to take a 'nowplaying' shot ala Medine just as my battery died so Now Playing : Holly Golightly and the Broke-offs 'My 45')

...Some folks here are falling down...

im gonna be falling down too, my computer is now an object to jam in front of the door to stop it slamming,,, stupid f'ing hard drive failure

last night we got hit by a cyclone

i just missed a slip across my road when i was driving home in the middle of the night and then i took my ROYs out into it so i could get elbow deep in muck clearing the storm water drains due to the rapids coming down the mountain and getting into my basement.

going camping this week

hopefully when i get home my new laptop from work has arrived

until then im checking all your nice updates on borrowed computers and having to expain what im looking at to boring nosey people

bobswine.jpg

The ROYs went to a Sundance Film Festival after party and drank a lot of Bob Redford's booze. Went home to find the wife sick. Spent the night taking care of her and pretending to be far less intoxicated than I was.

Roy3front.jpg

USN x 2

Grand County High School T (am I in trouble because I didn't serve in the Navy or attend GCHS?)

ROYxCone

RW

I know people in tool and die in Detroit and unbelievably Ford actually stipulate that their subcontractors there must get a certain amount of their parts from China. If you don't or won't, you won't gt the contract.

roy6 has succeeded in tweaking the residual stump that is all that remains of my sense of Catholic guilt, so I guess you can expect more photos from me. They will probably be pretty prosaic though.

Beautiful gardens, Roy! I'm jealous it's so warm there.

Went to scope out the spot again for tomorrow's snowshoe hike. It was a foggy day, until I got up the canyon a bit.

p1040498x.jpg

It was a gorgeous day for hiking around. Saw more ermine tracks, but no ermine.

p1040487.jpg

Even though it is a National Forest, summer home sites were grandfathered in because the families had built homes prior to the establishment of the NF. Not a bad spot for a little cabin...

p1040484w.jpg

The river has been diverted many times over the years for irrigation. This diversion doesn't go anywhere anymore.

p1040496a.jpg

Lunch break!

p1040482i.jpg

I stopped by the local nature center on my way back, and talked to my friend for whom I am leading the hike tomorrow.

p1040499x.jpg

Like all good nature centers, there's lots of cool dead stuff.

p1040500w.jpg

And, my Roys and I headed back to the office for the rest of the afternoon....

p1040503.jpg

On the way, I saw this guy hanging out on the side of the road.

p1040493r.jpg

"Anyway, hasn't Toyota been running an ad claiming that a greater percentage of the parts and labor in their trucks is from the United States than in Ford trucks?"

This is also true with motorcycles, the Honda Gold Wing is more Made in America than any Harley that you can buy.

Too bad any Harley you buy is way more badass than a Gold Wing

^There are the hardcore guys, but the RUBs (rich urban bikes) have really knocked the shine off of HD. (or, rather, HD's marketing knocked the shine off of HD -- I mean it's just a bike, not a lifestyle, so neg me for acting like some doctor playing biker is worse than me playing longshoreman).

Very true, but their design team isnt helping much either. If they took a clue from the fashion industry and looked back at their archives for inspiration, I think that might be the first step towards their resurgence. How many young guys lust over a new Harley anymore? Not many. And as a stock holder I hope this changes soon.

With pieces like this right under your nose, how can you go wrong?

mac040.jpg

Thats a Harley Hummer btw, my favorite Harley by far.

^But you can't get $13,000 a bike selling singles to college kids. The new sportster line is pretty cool, though. Too bad about BUELL -- IMO that was the best thing attached to HD since the Heritage line, which was their look back to the archives and saved the company for a nearly 20 years. Shit, I'm showing my age.

Fit pics, courtesy of Mrs. Heech -

sufu002.jpg

sufu003.jpg

sufu006.jpg

sufu007.jpg

sufu010.jpg

sufu011.jpg

sufu013.jpg

Been wearing them non-stop for two weeks, since being damp (after initial soak). Haven't cuffed them, just worn with the extra material gathering (although included one cuff shot so's not to be left out!)

Sorry about the hiking boots, but I'm obviously packed for trekking out in the Australian bush.

See ya in four weeks (will be lurking if the chance presents itself :D)

Excellent, Dr H. Altho I'm in a big-cuff phase at the mo'. I think the extreme 1870s-miner-stacking approach has a lot to commend it, too.

Nice jacket, of course. Have I your permission to do you-know-what yet? I can't press the button until I'm given the go-ahead by you and airfrog...