ROY X CONE contest, 1.1.11 - 2.1.12

Paul T

5314349697_06a4a3358b_b.jpg

. .

Altho no one else has commented on this, I can't believe how well the cotton duck works with denim, matching the stitching almost perfectly. I bet money more people will use cotton duck as pocket lining in future.

It's terrific, it illustrates what a long journey this has been. When i first called ROY to discuss denim choices, after rnr and roy6 had started the ball rolling, I suggested cotton duck pockets (didn't try suggesting a cinch as I thought it would be way too much trouble) and got given short shrift. I think roy6 did the same then warned us against trying again: "you can spin your wheels as much as you want but there's no moving".

I like people who under-promise, then over-deliver. Boy, has Roy over-delivered.

Altho no one else has commented on this, I can't believe how well the cotton duck works with denim, matching the stitching almost perfectly. I bet money more people will use cotton duck as pocket lining in future.

It's terrific, it illustrates what a long journey this has been. When i first called ROY to discuss denim choices, I suggested cotton duck pockets (didn't try suggesting a cinch as I thought it would be way too much trouble) and got given short shrift. I think roy6 did the same then warned us against trying again: you can spin your wheels as much as you want but there's no moving.

I like people who under-promise, then over-deliver. Boy, has Roy over-delivered.

i totally agree with you... now that frustration from not having them slowly fades away, i have to reckon that those jeans look surprisingly over detailed, and their beauty is magnified by the beautiful pics Roy6 gave us.

thanks again guys, and no offense for my non denim underwear :)

and RnrCamacho you must keep that mustache !!!!!

Excellent fit, RNR.

WHen will we ever own an another item of such well-crafted underwear such as this???(well, one made for men anyway).

Oh, I agree! I slept in mine last night (no pics, sorry) and felt a little guilty.

The duck lining is one of the best features of the jeans. and the matching brown thread looks so good with the denim. I truly think yellow or orange thread would have looked off. The duck is pretty stiff still, but I'm looking forward to it breaking in with time. Makes me sad I can't have a pair of these in all duck :)

The cinch must have taken so long to put together. You can see on Roy's original pair that he sewed across the cinch to attach it to the yoke, but on our pairs, he constructed the cinch halves and sewed only the duck lining onto the yoke before attaching it to the legs and waistband. Pure genius!

It's terrific, it illustrates what a long journey this has been. When i first called ROY to discuss denim choices, after rnr and roy6 had started the ball rolling, I suggested cotton duck pockets (didn't try suggesting a cinch as I thought it would be way too much trouble) and got given short shrift. I think roy6 did the same then warned us against trying again: "you can spin your wheels as much as you want but there's no moving".

I think more often than not, people will just do what's easiest, but not Roy. It's amazing the amount of work he put into these.

Here's a little preview of the colors we should expect...

roybluessm.jpg

I had to wait for the fog to clear this morning to get some pics in natural light.

2011-01-02003.jpg

2011-01-02004.jpg

I soaked for half an hour at 100F. Probably could have got more shrinkage.

Thanks again to everyone who made this possible Roy, Ralph, Paul T, Almostnice, Roy6, and rnr (but not future rnr)!

Perfect fit. And optimum cuff height, too.

@rnr - your 'work' continues to impress me ;)

Although the duck jacket impresses me more - more info please.

The duck jacket is the Rising Sun Duck ranch jacket. A little xmas gift. It is fucking amazing. I should be posting some pics of it today in the duck thread and most likely the Rising sun thread.

To all that wanted the mustache to stay. It got chopped off. I couldn't take myself seriously when I looked in the mirror, and let me tell you, I do a lot of looking in the mirror.

Edit: I haven't seen a bad fit yet. They look good a little snug and a little baggy. I probably could have gone up a size after the elfelts this feels rather snug, but nothing I ain't used to.

Excellent fit, entertainment! I like how everyone's fits seem just a little different. I'll post up mine later today.

I've been a little reluctant to post some of the details, like the photo of the colors above, for fear of giving away too much or making the folks who don't have theirs feel bad. So, let me know if it is too much at this point and I can save it for later.

The duck jacket is the Rising Sun Duck ranch jacket. A little xmas gift. It is fucking amazing. I should be posting some pics of it today in the duck thread and most likely the Rising sun thread.

Thanks for that, looking forward to the pics. Is it something they sell off the rail or custom order?

Fit looks very good on the roys btw.

@entertainment - fit looks the business. You putting the Lvc ducks and knappaves away for the year now?

@zissou

I think the cat is well and truly out of the bag now so snap away!

Truly over-delivered. ROY was a bit... um, unenthusiastic at times in working with us to come up with design elements, but it appears he took us quite seriously, as things all of us talked to him about appeared in some form on the final version. Paul advocated for the duck pocket bags, rnr wanted all of us to be decked out in this general 'miner-trad" style, I begged for a cinch back and suspender-friendly cut (although I didn't get my tool pocket).

In fact, the only ideas that got discarded wholesale were almostnice's for exposed selvage pockets, bellbottoms, and chaps-style ass-cutouts. Sorry old man, maybe next time...

Truly over-delivered. ROY was a bit... um, unenthusiastic at times in working with us to come up with design elements, but it appears he took us quite seriously, as things all of us talked to him about appeared in some form on the final version. Paul advocated for the duck pocket bags, rnr wanted all of us to be decked out in this general 'miner-trad" style, I begged for a cinch back and suspender-friendly cut (although I didn't get my tool pocket).

In fact, the only ideas that got discarded wholesale were almostnice's for exposed selvage pockets, bellbottoms, and chaps-style ass-cutouts. Sorry old man, maybe next time...

I'm extremely disappointed by the lack of cheeky bum-windows on these. Other than that I'd say Roy did a fantastic job.

Thanks to Paul T for passing on to me the contest password on Roy's site so I was able to have a sneak preview of these.

Wear 'em hard guys 'n' gal.

Truly over-delivered. ROY was a bit... um, unenthusiastic at times in working with us to come up with design elements, but it appears he took us quite seriously, as things all of us talked to him about appeared in some form on the final version.

That is true, but on my part, I stress that while I thought duck detailing would be cool, it quite possibly had nothing at all to do with what we got. ROY is passionate beyond belief, super-opinionated in a good way, and he as likely came up with those ideas despite us, as because of us.

Good to see the cut works across a range of sizing. Medine's look great, sized down a little.

There is a worrying possibility of course that the delay in the European orders came about because he incorporated almostnice's requirements into that run. Eek.

i havent read through the last pages yet, been busy with the lovely lady, but great pics guys. entertainment beautiful, and rnr your killing me with the jacket. just tell me how much it was so i know i cant affort it anyhow.

This discussion of the duck has me wondering: why is it that (as far as I can see from the pics) the duck waistband patch has shrunk and puckered in comparison to the denim behind it, while the duck backing on the cinch strap seems flat and totally in sync with the denim it's attached to? Are all the cinch photos presoak or is there something else going on? If so: let me encourage post-soak cinch pics!

(everyone's look fantastic by the way, love the flasher too!)

Nearly pissed myself at that last paragraph!

Roy6 - the boxers are your toolpocket dude.

@Paul - grab that postie 1st thing 2moro!

I don't know the price of the duck jacket. It was a present and I try not to ask pricing, but I would say it is in the $250 to $300 range. Not positive though. It isn't special order. They have a few of them left I believe.

About the duck puckering. I think the patch warping has a little to do with the bend around the waist as well as the denim shrinking more than the duck. The lack of warping in the cinch is probably because it is a smaller area of fabric, but there is still a little bit of warping, just nothing noticeable like the patch.

oh come on Zissou I feel bad enough anyway, let me see some pics at least
@zissou

I think the cat is well and truly out of the bag now so snap away!

seconded

(jeans should land ovr her ein a couple of day, hopefully)

OK, then, no holding back. I just didn't want the wait to be any more difficult for you UK/EU folks. Doc- if it's any consolation, you'll surely have your belt before I have mine.

Overall, I am loving the fit! I have been telling myself for a while that I need to try some jeans that are a little roomier, and I think these are it. The waist is still a little snug, and I have some kind of little wedgie going on, but I think that will all stretch out in a week or so. I'll likely double cuff once the jeans relax and I know where I want the cuffs to sit.

Oh, and just so you know, my daughter is pretty certain that I'm going to win this thing. She even made up a song about it.

roysfit1sm.jpg

Thanks, Doc. Well, I wanted the option of suspenders, but I realized my suspenders were too short. So in reality, I will be wearing the belt pretty much every day.

zissou, they fit you so well...Your whiskers will be epic whereas I cannot form any...My thighs fit large relative to the rest of the cut now that things have settled a bit more and they fit more like spring bottoms on me at the moment. Won't be getting any sharp hige but the combs have pretty much set!

Good to see the cut works across a range of sizing. Medine's look great, sized down a little.

Hmmm, and I thought these were sized up. I could have asked for an inch smaller.

So what do you guys think, would another soak help me lose some length?? or should I just hold off til I gotta wash?

oh, and GO PACKERS! Im setting in my football watchin fadez right now.