rnrswitch

Freewheelers, Bootleggers Reunion, Bubo, etc.

Hammersmith.
74W6msE.jpeg
Special heavy weight Power-wear sweat, this one came in a little big big so I gave it a warm wash.
Shrunk up nicely, I have a t-shirt on underneath in this photo.
Some of the nicest sweat material I've handled, and that's compared to RMC, SG, WH, Stevenson, etc.
d3U3jO0.jpeg

On 12/17/2021 at 5:19 PM, Talan said:

Bootleggers & Co 601XX labels contain wealth of names and cultural references from the 40-60s of last century. Kerouac, Cassady, whose signature is in the bottom right corner and who came from a family of real Denver's bootleggers, acid tests, psychedelia, hipsters, subterraneans, skeleton horses, roses, skulls, bones, hearts, swastikas, and even a bus (Furthur?) -- there seem to be transparent hints to Grateful Dead here as well. I'd love to know the details of how the owners of the tiny Japanese brand were related to all this? Does anyone know details? Is there any reading about Bootleggers brand online? Thanks in advance.

IMG_bl.jpg

https://avenuewebstore.com/freewheelers.html

Not a lot of information really, but it might be of some interest as it mentions Hipsters Reunion and I’d advise searching through shop/stockists blogs (those that sell FW probably sold Bootleggers if they’ve been open long enough), or if you have specific questions I might be able to help.

644DE4C9-15B1-445D-B20B-AA856891955B.jpeg

Edited by Duke Mantee

Good fit on both @Broark - the shirts are almost a guaranteed fit now I think, but it’s great the sweats work too

Edited by Duke Mantee

@Broarksome damn fine shirting u have there! Great fit on both, they must be using your measurements for the pattern. Thanks for putting up the photo of the hammer smith Im even more  excited for mine to show now.  

@Duke. Hipster reunion is a different sub label then bootleggers? For some reason I was thinking it was branding under the bootleggers sub label. My bad…

4 hours ago, Cozzie said:

@Duke. Hipster reunion is a different sub label then bootleggers? For some reason I was thinking it was branding under the bootleggers sub label. My bad…

Hipsters Reunion is a sub brand. Bootleggers was the old company before Freewheelers. A good number of FW designs have been over from the old days, but it was really when the new company started that the sub branding became a more obvious strategy.

7 hours ago, Duke Mantee said:

https://avenuewebstore.com/freewheelers.html

Not a lot of information really, but it might be of some interest as it mentions Hipsters Reunion and I’d advise searching through shop/stockists blogs (those that sell FW probably sold Bootleggers if they’ve been open long enough), or if you have specific questions I might be able to help.

644DE4C9-15B1-445D-B20B-AA856891955B.jpeg

Thank you!

9 hours ago, Duke Mantee said:

Hipsters Reunion is a sub brand. Bootleggers was the old company before Freewheelers. A good number of FW designs have been over from the old days, but it was really when the new company started that the sub branding became a more obvious strategy.

Aahh, I see now. thx for straightening me out duke.  When did the company name switch from bootleggers to freewheelers? 

They didn’t switch names @Cozzie - they are different, same people but different company - but first Freewheelers collection was A/W 2009

“Lost now on the country mile with his Cadillac.” Geez I’m all sorts of lost haha, thx @Duke.  I kno the bootleggers branding is not still around I didn’t realize they r treated as separate companies.  Really appreciate the knowledge. That’s y I hang around here.  That’s a sweeeeet label with “cowboy Neil” there.

Edited by Cozzie
Typo

3 hours ago, Cozzie said:

“Lost now on the country mile with his Cadillac.” Geez I’m all sorts of lost haha, thx @Duke.  I kno the bootleggers branding is not still around I didn’t realize they r treated as separate companies.  Really appreciate the knowledge. That’s y I hang around here.  That’s a sweeeeet label with “cowboy Neil” there.

Well they’re not ‘treated’ as separate companies - Bootleggers Reunion IS a completely different company from Freewheelers. Bootleggers had to close.

13 minutes ago, LazyS said:

yes

looking forward to the history lesson

Oh that’s not for someone as lowly as me to comment on …

485C1A91-3F37-4E82-8280-52BF4D7D338E.gif

Edited by Duke Mantee

I need a pair with arcs in a 34…..

9Ldkzib.jpg5jYE8rk.jpgCj5bDsM.jpg9vTefBn.jpg1943 get another wash. Also a diy crotch reinforcement. 
yes I use a washer and dryer. Do I care about creases/veins? Nope. Love the character 

9 hours ago, shredwin_206 said:

yes I use a washer and dryer. Do I care about creases/veins? Nope. Love the character 

305E0568-FE83-4F3A-9BDC-FACBC67A66B2.gif

Anyone able to do a comparison of the standard 601XX vs the new S601XX paging @Duke Mantee 

@shredwin_206 I'm no sir Duke but I'm happy to oblige.
S601XX (right) worn for about 6/7 months, compared with my 601xx 1943s (left) which haven't been worn much.
The 1943s were a more limited release, but I feel like the denim is more similar to the mainline 1947 and 1951.
rEgBSja.jpg
eOBR5yG.jpg
yZU7yju.jpg
x7Pdz7j.jpg
cYfrNE9.jpg
UAxrgul.jpg

Lovely but too late buddy - I have it in good authority that the Shred has his granny working on the arcs as I type this … 

I'd spring for them but I have a pair headed my way soon enough. :ph34r:

There’s a pair in W34 up for sale as well, but not for quite so generous a price…

@Duke Mantee aren’t those the 36 that someone posted about a couple pages back? I believe they were brand new