Jeans of the Old West: A History

aho

Mike, what jeans are the ones pictured from the video posted a page back?

here's an screencap of their washed version on top which has the patch in the center matching the scraps on the bottom

dd.jpg

The piece they show has the same damage as the one I sold them on page 106, did warehouse make up a story how they found these? I also gave the warehouse rep the name of the pant (California overalls) I believe warehouse calls the pants they make Northern California overalls?

I wouldn't take anything the guy on the video says at face value. The video is very low quality production and I don't know if it reaches too many people. Dude probably just figured he could say whatever the fuck he wants.

I doubt the official story out of Warehouse is that they found them.

Glad you got the book Dr. House! Since we finished the book 7 months ago, my wife Charla has been able to focus all of her attention on research ( boy has she come up with some good stuff) I thought I should add a little history on William G. Badger. Charla has found in the papers that William was in the opium trade in the early 1850's, william took out two ads in the same year for his lost wallet. I'll let you use your imagination on what William might have up to during those few short years in the opium trade.

@Sansome1877

Hi mate, just wanna let you know that the book arrived today. Thanks for the words and especially the scraps of denim and shirt(?) material. The selvedge piece reminds me of early 201's.

Awe-inspiring piece of work btw. For me, it doesn't get much better than this - especially the Levis section. Dont know where to begin!

Will probably scrutinise carefully over the next few weeks...

At first glance though, nice to see the black ID line on the 1885-6 levis duck pants (it's also apparent on a couple of other pairs) as this was a feature of the Lvc repros, and a nice touch.

Also interesting to see the (assumed) earliest Levis have the raw edge waistband, whereas later models have the selvedge edge (like the 1880 and 1886 Lvc repros).

This must have been used up until the rivet patent expired, as the 'calico mine' Levis 501's (1890) have a two-piece waistband (folded under, no selvedge or raw edge).

There is also another 1890 501 example with selvedge edge ( -in the guiness book of world records) so this leads me to believe that this was the time of transition .

The two-piece waistband seems to change back into a one-piece again around 1914 but with a chain-stiched edge.

I can provide pics to illusratate this, but it's only my guess.

Cant wait for the second installment!

:)

@Sansome1877

Hi mate, just wanna let you know that the book arrived today. Thanks for the words and especially the scraps of denim and shirt(?) material. The selvedge piece reminds me of early 201's.

Awe-inspiring piece of work btw. For me, it doesn't get much better than this - especially the Levis section. Dont know where to begin!

Will probably scrutinise carefully over the next few weeks...

At first glance though, nice to see the black ID line on the 1885-6 levis duck pants (it's also apparent on a couple of other pairs) as this was a feature of the Lvc repros, and a nice touch.

Also interesting to see the (assumed) earliest Levis have the raw edge waistband, whereas later models have the selvedge edge (like the 1880 and 1886 Lvc repros).

This must have been used up until the rivet patent expired, as the 'calico mine' Levis 501's (1890) have a two-piece waistband (folded under, no selvedge or raw edge).

There is also another 1890 501 example with selvedge edge ( -in the guiness book of world records) so this leads me to believe that this was the time of transition .

The two-piece waistband seems to change back into a one-piece again around 1914 but with a chain-stiched edge.

I can provide pics to illusratate this, but it's only my guess.

Cant wait for the second installment!

:)

Funny you say the denim looks like early 201 denim, the denim was found with 1895 news print around it. That piece you have should be just that,early 1890's levi denim. So it looks like LVC, really tries to get it right. Enjoy.

ah, seems i missed out on the entire warehouse discussion (that's what you get from living on the other end of the timezone) Funny to know that you provided Warehouse with the scraps of the original denim!

in case anyone is interested

here's the entire line-up from duckdigger pants ->

http://www.ware-house.co.jp/?page=items&cp=557

back on topic now; just got around browsing through your book & really lovin it!

Here are Mike's photos of the AB Elfelt pants waistband which he sold to Warehouse.

I'm sure Mike won't mind my mentioning that he sent some Levi's scraps to Cone; they are hoping to do DNA analysis to find more about the origins of the cotton and indigo - was it Sea Island cotton? Maybe this will give Mike more info for a second book??

01010p.jpg

01111yl.jpg01212i.jpg

01212i.jpg01515.jpg01717i.jpg

My wife promised that we will be able to post by Saturday ( I keep saying this and it's starting to sound silly) I have new fit pictures of my wife's father in the Neustadter pants. I have to wash up this half vest from the 1870's. I just picked up my new-old pinball machine Eldorado from 1975, it's a mining theme pinball. I still need to take fit pictures of myself in the 1873 riveted pants, I have. I think I should break it down and point out all of the reasons that I think those 1873 pants are the oldest Lev's. I have to find the pictures of my friends 1875 duck Levi's. I have trip pictures from 1988 when I was 17. I still have lots of photos that didn't make it into the book, if any body has some free time and wants to post some photos let me know. All rep goes to who ever posts the pictures. Working on my 5 gallon whiskey post, should have it up tomorrow.

Send them photos my way if you like. I can do a batch resize and post them shits tonight. Lady is at work and my son goes to sleep at 8:30 so I am free from then til midnight. Just drinking, sewing, and sufu-ing if needed.

Send them photos my way if you like. I can do a batch resize and post them shits tonight. Lady is at work and my son goes to sleep at 8:30 so I am free from then til midnight. Just drinking, sewing, and sufu-ing if needed.

Hey switch did you get the photos I sent you yesterday? I sent some good pics.