Spaghetti, in an image ones eye tends to go to the brightest area in the frame first. And sometimes it tends to stay there. Why did you choose to put it deads center? I think the image could be more interesting visually if you used something like the "golden rule" or the "rule of thrids" in your composition. This would allow the eye to move around the image and make it less static.

Carl- Congratulations man...those look really good. I met with Phil from the Fader a while back, and from what I know of him he will think you did an excellent job. You heard back from em yet? let us know when they run...

Sid- Looking good...did you compete, or just cover the event? I wish the voice paid more...They used to run some decent shit in the paper...but now it all seems to be online, and every cover is about popcultur/celebrity instead of local interest and politics...oh well, fuck it right.

I'm printing as we speak, and Carl...I promise that when I do scan my Alaska stuff (and I will eventually) I'll post a nice edit of images up. Meeting with Stephen Shore next week, so I'm in the color darkroom day and night at the moment with NO time for Digital.

Keep the shots rolling...

Shot my first magazine assignment this past weekend. It was for Fader magazine. I drove up to Chicago and followed around David Vandervelde and his band for 2 days. It was fucking great...getting paid to party and smoke weed with cool dudes while taking pictures of them.

David is a pretty good musician, check his shit out: www.davidvandervelde.com

Here are some selects;

The band

2qbvq0w.jpg

Stewie, the house pit

2cmm1oo.jpg

David

4cblqx1.jpg

David and Stewie

4ck9y5t.jpg

The living room

33lhwqx.jpg

Hanging out

2hplwy0.jpg

2qiz2w4.jpg

3zsrw9f.jpg

Friend of the band

2u5xb0x.jpg

Random guy at the 24 hour burrito place

4hrfdz6.jpg

Carl strong body of work congrats and good luck with it.

Spaghetti, in an image ones eye tends to go to the brightest area in the frame first. And sometimes it tends to stay there. Why did you choose to put it deads center? I think the image could be more interesting visually if you used something like the "golden rule" or the "rule of thrids" in your composition. This would allow the eye to move around the image and make it less static.

As you may have guessed, I have absolutely zero formal training in photography. I simply shoot was pleases my eye. I guess what I enjoyed the most about the image was the choppy effect the reflection gave to the clouds, and the way the rocks met with the reflection of the sky. Could you explain what the Golden rule and rule of thirds are? It may help with future compositions.

This picture always makes me want some lettuce.

img0421gj0.jpg

arevalo--

time to spot those images, man (from your website). its pretty nice work, but lots of dust on 'em.

Yeah, they're def not clean as far as dust goes. The software that came with the scanner was horrible with dust/scratch removal and is hard to avoid with flatbed scanners.

Running better software now. :)

I'm planning on entering a photography competition at my university for fun. I don't reeeeally expect to win, but I like the idea of trying to do something with my photos!

I respect the eye of a lot of the photographers on here, so I created a flickr set with the photos that I'm debating between. I can only submit 3, so I have a lot of cutting-out to do! Any opinions will be appreciated! (sorry for the lack of actual names & descriptions... far too lazy!)

http://www.flickr.com/gp/96938720@N00/b65662

Thanks for the help all!

Carl, what did you shoot the stuff for fader with? The colors and light are just great.

arevalo, i'm jealous of your point and shoot collection. what are all the cameras in that shot?

Please look through the thread more carefully next time.

Canice & Ayn - gracias

aitsuka...canon 20d with a 20mm so it comes out to a 32mm and actually, the red picture with bass strings is with a 85mm

arevalo - Wonderful series of portraits. The tone of your black and white photos are incredible and I'm a huge sucker for grain and old people for some reason. They seem to go hand in hand. I do think the shot of the naked saggy bottom is a tad over the top. Such an upskirt angle too ;)

btw...can someone tell me how to make the typeface bold? i have zero html skill...

arevalo - Wonderful series of portraits. The tone of your black and white photos are incredible and I'm a huge sucker for grain and old people for some reason. They seem to go hand in hand. I do think the shot of the naked saggy bottom is a tad over the top. Such an upskirt angle too ;)

btw...can someone tell me how to make the typeface bold? i have zero html skill...

scroll to the bottom of the page and click the link at the bottom-left that says "vB code is On"

that'll show you how!

Like I said earlier, I paid $10 for mine. If you want film you can find lots of older cameras for fairly cheap on ebay. I think a lot will have minor problems but nothing you can't tinker away.