Got a great deal on an SLR, now all I gotta do is pick up some lenses. Got a canon, so what would you guys recommend as far as lenses go? I shoot mostly portraits and landscapes but I want a relatively versatile lens.

I have a $300 best buy gift card but I can add some cash so...recommendations?

if youre looking for a good zoom lense, get a Tamron 17-50 2.8. it has very good image quality, quite sharp at f/2.8 as well so its good for low light conditions. I've suggested this to a couple of people upgrading from a kit lense and they've been very happy. Felix has one as well I think?

if youre looking for a good zoom lense, get a Tamron 17-50 2.8. it has very good image quality, quite sharp at f/2.8 as well so its good for low light conditions. I've suggested this to a couple of people upgrading from a kit lense and they've been very happy. Felix has one as well I think?

Thanks for the lens suggestions, I've been researching up on some lenses and Tamron was a company of interest, my professor also recommended them to me. Might purchase it in a couple months.

Does anyone else have this? I'd like to see some example shots from users on here who are shooting with it.

For $300 + cash, if you want half-decent quality you should get a prime. I don't know the details of Canon lenses, but a 20mm 2.8 lens shouldnt be more than like $500

I shoot with the 20mm 2.8 usm on my 20d and i'm pretty happy with it for the price. bascially anything i shoot digitally i use that lens exclusively. check my blog for example photos. if you have any questions just ask.

4.jpg

This has the potential too be all sorts of amazing (i mean, its even got a fucking cowboy hat in it) but...the people need to more evenly spaced among the windows. It's litteraly split second from being badass. You could probably go back and re-work the situation, no?

Great stuff on this page, but I have a question:

Is there any way to capture super long exposure times (upwards of a minute) without completely blowing out the picture during the day? I've tweaked with the ISO, the aperature, but I am using a a Sony DSC-H9, so no fancy SLR action for me.