That model looks familiar. Did I see her in xcoalesce's portfolio?

Thanks for the info on the 5D. As for medium format, the prices of MF systems is ridiculously cheap, and you can pick up DBs for a song... Basically for the price of a 5D Mkii and a lens...

what kind of cameras/backs are we talking about here? i need to upgrade this year but it's a ways off yet. the 5d mark I or II is what first comes to mind but i'd have to get a new lens, like the 16-35mm L. i mainly do documentary work and do a lot of square images already so the medium format might be the way to go. i don't keep up with gear or prices lately. only just now starting to look around at options.

sorry guys, 'through the viewfinder' photos are lame

just photoshop your digital images to get the same look

or spend the few bucks for a roll of film

robo- i think the cheap MF setups mentioned would be 645.. not square. i could be wrong. if i were looking at the 645 i'd look at options for the mamiya 645, or preferably the contax 645 [autofocus and amazing lenses]

what kind of cameras/backs are we talking about here? i need to upgrade this year but it's a ways off yet. the 5d mark I or II is what first comes to mind but i'd have to get a new lens, like the 16-35mm L. i mainly do documentary work and do a lot of square images already so the medium format might be the way to go. i don't keep up with gear or prices lately. only just now starting to look around at options.

Brand new 22 mp Mamiya ZD back goes for ~3600$ us. A 645 or an RB can be had for less than 500$ with lens, viewfinder body and film back. You can get other used backs on Ebay for more or less depending on year/model etc. These things last forever. If you are into shooting square, AFAIK the only square DB's are Phase One H Series for Hasselblad's. These are older, and require to shoot tethered, have no LCD etc. You can get these for less 2000$ on Ebay. Of course a Hasselblad outfit is a bit pricier but the glass is incredible...

Brand new 22 mp Mamiya ZD back goes for ~3600$ us. A 645 or an RB can be had for less than 500$ with lens, viewfinder body and film back. You can get other used backs on Ebay for more or less depending on year/model etc. These things last forever. If you are into shooting square, AFAIK the only square DB's are Phase One H Series for Hasselblad's. These are older, and require to shoot tethered, have no LCD etc. You can get these for less 2000$ on Ebay. Of course a Hasselblad outfit is a bit pricier but the glass is incredible...

interesting. doesn't have to be square. i'd be fine with cropping like i currently do. i'll have to look up some sample images. i'm not one for needing all the latest and greatest features so it'd probably just come down to image quality with my decision, but at the same time i want something that'll be as good of a workhorse as a brand new 5D would be.

I've had my hands on 16mp H20 files and P25+ files shot with a Hassy and I've seen BIG prints ie 60x60 made from either. The results are simply stunning. Between the incredible lenses and the huge sensor without an AA filter, the sky is the limit. Of course you can't shoot at anything above 400ISO maybe less...