i dunno, ive been looking at scanners online and i've seen a lot better results from consumer products like Canon 8000F and the FS4000

so maybe i shouldn't waste my money on these bad scans.........................

Sorry for quoting this, but this fucking site won't let me create a normal reply.

Anyway, here are some recent pictures.

Nikon D80

50mm 1.8 D

DSC_0004resized.jpg

DSC_0023resized.jpg

DSC_0046resized.jpg

DSC_0133resized.jpg

DSC_0141resized.jpg

DSC_0173resized.jpg

DSC_0174resized.jpg

65588086vd7.jpg

72910293oo0.jpg

77198344bn9.jpg

39479962rl7.jpg

16138349qg5.jpg

No processing or whatever: just converted and minimized the raw files. Not quite pleased with the results though, they seem to be quite dull or something. C&C are very welcome.

I think you should really think the photo through before u snap. Like alot of the photos could have been better if u composed them better. What are u trying to show in the photo? If you are just snapping, then compose the shots in a way that u want the views to see or in the way You are seeing it. Did the photo you produce come out the way you imagined it to be?

But, i think to start off with, your scene/subjects aren't interesting to shoot anyways. Be more selective

couple from last night

C&C appreciated (specifically on the first, i like the second how it is, eventho theres probably a lot of flaws)

thx!!

you need better lighting in both. specifically for the first you can see overexposed highlights off the white in the background yet the right side of his face is dark. i also wish his right hand were angled slightly more upwards rather than blocking the jean (if this is a clothes shoot especially) . half of the lighting issue is you getting a little lower and shooting more of an angle upwards and part is bouncing your strobes properly

just reprocessed an old one with (hopefully) better color.

john.jpg

I read that page and in looking at the photos I cannot tell the difference. +rep if you can evaluate the bokeh in this photo below that I've posted quite a few pages ago. I recognize its your opinion, but if you could back it up with what specifically you see in the picture.

This was taken on a D200 with a Nikkor 20mm f/2.8 lens wide open.

Sorry for quoting this, but this fucking site won't let me create a normal reply.

Anyway, here are some recent pictures.

Nikon D80

50mm 1.8 D

DSC_0004resized.jpg

DSC_0023resized.jpg

DSC_0046resized.jpg

DSC_0133resized.jpg

DSC_0141resized.jpg

DSC_0173resized.jpg

DSC_0174resized.jpg

Interesting how some photos are really good and some are really bad.

first bad: The second photo, the macro of the flower buds is crap. Macro shots are cliche in the first place, but If you are going to shoot one, do it right. The bokeh on the 50 1.8 is shit, get a macro (or nikkor micro) lens if that's what you are going to shoot. The quality of the other shallow DoF shots range from bad (milkweed, which is sharp and and a nice comp) to mediocre (B&W flower cluster).

good: the first and last shots are my favorite from the group. The first is interesting because of the contrast in color in the grass and the tree bark and the pop from the white bark of the the birch. But how the sky is cut-off from the top of the picture is distracting--there should be sky all the away across the frame or no sky at all. The last shot is interesting and I know how difficult it can be to meter on an overcast day, I especially like the geese flying right in the dip in the treeline. That is just being in the right place at the right time. However, it would be greatly improved if you had stopped down (or all the way to f/22) to get the DoF to have the entire picture in focus. Outside with that brightness, it should be really easy to get all the light you need to get a decent exposure.

Good job, just think another 5 seconds before hitting the shutter

you need better lighting in both. specifically for the first you can see overexposed highlights off the white in the background yet the right side of his face is dark. i also wish his right hand were angled slightly more upwards rather than blocking the jean (if this is a clothes shoot especially) . half of the lighting issue is you getting a little lower and shooting more of an angle upwards and part is bouncing your strobes properly

thanks!

aprreciate the feedback

the right side was definitely a problem for the entire shoot... i only had two strobes... and I really wanted to keep one in the back for fill... so I tried to angle the front camera right strobe to be angled enough to light as much as the face as possible, but still not affect the background...

Interesting how some photos are really good and some are really bad.

first bad: The second photo, the macro of the flower buds is crap. Macro shots are cliche in the first place, but If you are going to shoot one, do it right. The bokeh on the 50 1.8 is shit, get a macro (or nikkor micro) lens if that's what you are going to shoot. The quality of the other shallow DoF shots range from bad (milkweed, which is sharp and and a nice comp) to mediocre (B&W flower cluster).

good: the first and last shots are my favorite from the group. The first is interesting because of the contrast in color in the grass and the tree bark and the pop from the white bark of the the birch. But how the sky is cut-off from the top of the picture is distracting--there should be sky all the away across the frame or no sky at all. The last shot is interesting and I know how difficult it can be to meter on an overcast day, I especially like the geese flying right in the dip in the treeline. That is just being in the right place at the right time. However, it would be greatly improved if you had stopped down (or all the way to f/22) to get the DoF to have the entire picture in focus. Outside with that brightness, it should be really easy to get all the light you need to get a decent exposure.

Good job, just think another 5 seconds before hitting the shutter

Thank you for the feedback. I appreciate the time and effort you took to write that up.

You pointed out some great things that I definitely need to improve on. That flower macroish shot really isn't that great - you're right about that. Good call on the sky in the first picture as well. As far as the last picture, I was driving out and saw the geese and snapped it as quickly as I could on manual. I had about 2 seconds to meter/focus/compose and couldn't fix my iso to increase my aperture. I'm still learning a lot and have only been shooting for about 6 months now, off and on.

thanks!

aprreciate the feedback

the right side was definitely a problem for the entire shoot... i only had two strobes... and I really wanted to keep one in the back for fill... so I tried to angle the front camera right strobe to be angled enough to light as much as the face as possible, but still not affect the background...

Two is more than enough. You just need not as harsh of light.

Read: http://strobist.blogspot.com/2006/03/lighting-101.html

Especially - http://strobist.blogspot.com/2006/03/lighting-101-bouncing-off-of-walls-and.html

Strobist = Lighting Gods

I think you should really think the photo through before u snap. Like alot of the photos could have been better if u composed them better. What are u trying to show in the photo? If you are just snapping, then compose the shots in a way that u want the views to see or in the way You are seeing it. Did the photo you produce come out the way you imagined it to be?

But, i think to start off with, your scene/subjects aren't interesting to shoot anyways. Be more selective

Thanks for the feedback. It was all just improvisation, I didn't think it through before I shot. Just took some snaps and see how it turned out. I'll try to make a plan of what I want to shoot next time I go. Maybe it's also caused by the fact that it was in someone's backyard/land actually and I was a bit worried getting caught all the time, so I rushed it a bit.

God this stage lighting was soo hard to shoot...first of many from this performance.

jessi.jpg

Wow, thanks for the random neg w/o explanation douschebag. Here's another.

jessi-1.jpg

last shots from wuhan ,china :

Excellent leading lines away from the photo in your composition with the highway and elevated rail shots - i feel like the first and second aren't straight though b/c of the angle you're taking them and it hurts the photo. +rep regardless