hey jeepster,

were those photos taken with a filter or though some glass.

either way, they look great, but on the second one, did you try manual focusing on the stuff outside as well?

just wonder what it would have looked like.

taken through glass. I'll upload the one with the focus on the outside of the glass (there is reflection, so I didn't like it). All manual focus and unedited

3052547411_7c9e124311.jpg

3052545435_392eb2f954.jpg

c&c always welcome

In terms of the style, these look like your scanner has massive amounts of dirt on it. Its one thing to have a vintage out of focus shot with some miles on it, creases, dirt, etc. but this looks like retro faux vintage if you catch my drift. Too much dirt and kinda meh. Technically speaking though the only problem I see is that the pillar in the second one should be straight vertically which will also correct your dipping horizon line on the left side.

im12aa9.jpg

Chattahoochee River Bank, suburb outside Atlanta, GA.

In terms of the style, these look like your scanner has massive amounts of dirt on it. Its one thing to have a vintage out of focus shot with some miles on it, creases, dirt, etc. but this looks like retro faux vintage if you catch my drift. Too much dirt and kinda meh. Technically speaking though the only problem I see is that the pillar in the second one should be straight vertically which will also correct your dipping horizon line on the left side.

Well, no. Like I said before, no edits, just taken with the focus on the glass I was looking through rather than the subject outside. The idea was for the sunsets and horizon line to not have anything to do with the picture other than adding to the dirty foreground. I'm no artist or photo expert, but I know how to get the desired effect I want, and I don't need PS, a scanner, or otherwise to tell me what's right/wrong. I'm not offended and I'm not trying to come across as dickish or hatin on what you're saying, but the subject was never intended to be what you assumed it was.

another taken today @ sunset on the ferry

3055571972_0b02dfd596.jpg

Well, no. Like I said before, no edits, just taken with the focus on the glass I was looking through rather than the subject outside. The idea was for the sunsets and horizon line to not have anything to do with the picture other than adding to the dirty foreground. I'm no artist or photo expert, but I know how to get the desired effect I want, and I don't need PS, a scanner, or otherwise to tell me what's right/wrong. I'm not offended and I'm not trying to come across as dickish or hatin on what you're saying, but the subject was never intended to be what you assumed it was.

I realize your focus was on the dirty glass but the sunset and patio were obviously still in the background of the frame - I mean I think you'd agree just plain dirt on a window is a lot less interesting than the photos you posted with the sun coming through and even if it wasn't the focal point of your frame if you had just leveled your horizon and straightened that patio post it would have made the compositional aspect of your photo better. I'm not talking about PS whatsoever and the scanner comment was just what I likened the style of photography to. And there's no ill will - don't worry about coming off the wrong way while defending your photo - I'm just trying to offer a suggestion for next time. :)

I realize your focus was on the dirty glass but the sunset and patio were obviously still in the background of the frame - I mean I think you'd agree just plain dirt on a window is a lot less interesting than the photos you posted with the sun coming through and even if it wasn't the focal point of your frame if you had just leveled your horizon and straightened that patio post it would have made the compositional aspect of your photo better. I'm not talking about PS whatsoever and the scanner comment was just what I likened the style of photography to. And there's no ill will - don't worry about coming off the wrong way while defending your photo - I'm just trying to offer a suggestion for next time. :)

well, no worries, I'm just saying, the actual image of the sunset itself (i.e. below), was not all that interesting, especially since I'm shooting with my kit 35mm lens. So in the stead of nice glass and thought-out photography, I was happy to do something a little more unconventional. Also, its not a patio, its a ferry deck ;)

Regular sunset from the previous days shots:

3055656684_a7dc229348.jpg

its nice, but infinitely more boring.

Does anyone know what the difference between Canon's 430EX & 430EXII besides recycle time is?

The 430 ex II has a metal mount instead of a plastic one, which is nice.

Also, more of the flash parameters can be set using in-camera controls, if you have a compatible camera. Not a big deal to me, as you can always just set them on the flash itself.

Personally i'm just going to pick up the regular 430EX and save a few bucks

The 430 ex II has a metal mount instead of a plastic one, which is nice.

Also, more of the flash parameters can be set using in-camera controls, if you have a compatible camera. Not a big deal to me, as you can always just set them on the flash itself.

Personally i'm just going to pick up the regular 430EX and save a few bucks

Yeap. If you can pick up a 430ex, you can save some $$ over the Mark2's for the minor "upgrades". But just like anything else, if you have the $$ to spring for the 580ex..It'll be money well-spent.