yeah i think once you become familiar with what you're gravitating towards, it well make the purchase more worth it

true, i was looking at the pricing for the models i mentioned, the D80 and D200, both very exspensive especially for a college student... but i have a good paying job (atleast for the summer) so it wouldnt take too long to save up, i just want something that would last me a while and really take great pics (although i know its not the camera that takes great pics its the one using it, although a good camera would help)

but yea when you get a feel for what ever it is your trying for the purchase would def seem much worth while and justified

Sharing one of my recent photoshoot of my friend, it's an anime cosplay shoot.

Demonbane - Another Blood

Model: Lenneth

01.jpg

02.jpg

03.jpg

04.jpg

i would if i had my own camera... want to make a suggestion?

The D80 is a very good camera and should last quite a while before you will need to upgrade to something more professional. There isnt much point going for the D200 just yet, youre better of starting out smal and upgradingl, some people might disagree but thats my view on the matter.

As youre a begginner, you might also want to consider the olympus DSLR series, such as the E420 and E520. They are both very light and easy to handle (a big bonus if youre new to SLR photography) and they both feature the Live Preview funtion, meaning you can use the display (the screen) to frame your shots as well as the viewfinder.

The best thing you can do is go to a decent photography shop and then try a few out, see which one you feel most comfortable handling. Once youve decided what you want, go out and find the best deal, haggle until they throw in as many extras as you can carry.

:eek:

The D80 is a very good camera and should last quite a while before you will need to upgrade to something more professional. There isnt much point going for the D200 just yet, youre better of starting out smal and upgradingl, some people might disagree but thats my view on the matter.

As youre a begginner, you might also want to consider the olympus DSLR series, such as the E420 and E520. They are both very light and easy to handle (a big bonus if youre new to SLR photography) and they both feature the Live Preview funtion, meaning you can use the display (the screen) to frame your shots as well as the viewfinder.

The best thing you can do is go to a decent photography shop and then try a few out, see which one you feel most comfortable handling. Once youve decided what you want, go out and find the best deal, haggle until they throw in as many extras as you can carry.

Very cool, yea i think the D200 is prolly better but mayb i should start small and work my way up, i just dont wanna buy something that will get outdated in a year ya know? i think i heard the D90 is coming out soon might check that out, will most probably be out of my price range tho..

I really wanna take a photography class but i fear i have lil time to spare for it unless its on the weekend... summers i have a 9-5 job with practice with my basketball crew in the evening, we play in a league, and on top of that i actively do community service so id hate to cut that, ill def look for one tho during the school year if i have enough time between studys (i need to factor having a life too lmao my studys severely restrict that...:( )

does anyone reccomend any good self help with DLSR photography books?

DSLR photography for dummies :confused:

and nice pics shiro, your friend has a great cosplay costume, atleast she fits the roll...

Otakon 06 ive never seen so many fat chicks dressed up as neko girls and lacy maids... jeez :eek:

Ive been lurking around the forums, and usually in the denim section but i happened to look around and found this thread and fell in love with it lol

ive been thinking about getting into photography for a while, my dad got into it but he jumps around with hobbies between photography, reef tanks and koi ponds (the koi are his priority now we just had an amazing spawn, TONS of koi fry, the fry and the adult koi will def be one of my fav subjects =D)

after seeing some amazing pics you guys took im eager to start taking my own!

my dad currently uses a D70 with a 18-200 lense on it, i love playing around with it

just wondering, what do you seasoned photographers suggest as my first DSLR?

my dad told me to save up for a D200, and i was looking at the D80 also, but im really not sure what to get

what i really want to take pictures of are shoes hanging from telephone wires, i love seeing them, i think its such poetic justice

also, id love to do alot of nature scapes, my family does a good share of traveling

and ofcourse just ppl, i love what jamel shabazz did during the 70-80's id love to photograph street fashion and how it changes

didnt mean to write a book.. but id love to hear your suggestion :)

i highly suggest going with a D80 for your first DSLR.

the D200 can be very overwhelming for a beginner.

i highly suggest going with a D80 for your first DSLR.

the D200 can be very overwhelming for a beginner.

Hell, considering you don't know anything about photography (and are too lazy to search for yourself) I would tell you to go with a D40. Even cheaper, and the issues the D40 has that differentiate it from the D80 are not something you're going to be dealing with, especially if you a) can't tell the functional difference between a d40/d80 and B) you probably have the cash to blow on brand-new DX lenses instead of scrounging around in 2nd-hand bins.

I'd suggest buying a D40, throwing away the kit lenses, a 50mm f/1.8 and going away from here for awhile. Then come back in six months after having taken hundreds of photos and say hi. I guarantee you'll be a lot better.

Otherwise, the Canon Rebel, or Rebel Xti are pretty good bang for the buck. I'd suggest going with super-entry level camera body and spending your cash on high-end lenses, 35mm f/1.8 and otherwise being good ones, or the 18-200mm f/2.8 VR for Nikon. I don't know Canon, but there are plenty (most) people on here who shoot Canonzu.

Plus, seconding the buying books 'Understanding Exposure', and my personal favorite, Upton's 'Photography', 6th Edition. Comprehensive and utterly cheap. (~40 USD if you can find it used.)

Finally, lurk a lot and use the GOOGLE function. Your questions, I KNOW, are answered both on SF, or elsewhere on the web using the 'What beginning dSLR should I purchase', or similar.

i would if i had my own camera... want to make a suggestion?

I assume you are getting a new set, Canon 400D/450D/30D/40D, Nikon D80/D200/D300 are all good.

I wouldn't recommend Nikon D40/D60 series, cause they do not have inbuilt AF motor, which makes you lose AF function on non AF-S lens, where most prime lens now aren't AF-S, and mid end zoom lens.

But if you don't mind getting used, there's a lot of good deals.

Like Canon 20D/5D, Nikon D70/D200 are quite good deals now.

For the learning curve, I think just keep on practicing and trial and error.

Rather than buying a basic body and upgrade to another better body after awhile, may make a loss in selling and buying again.

Google and go down to reputable camera shops in your area and test out, afterall you are the one using.

My 2 cents.

and nice pics shiro, your friend has a great cosplay costume, atleast she fits the roll...

Otakon 06 ive never seen so many fat chicks dressed up as neko girls and lacy maids... jeez :eek:

Thanks. :)

x36728.jpg

Interesting shot!

I assume you firing off the flash wirelessly with the kid holding the flash?

2571517381_8e1f9f16f0.jpg

Lizard chilling out ya.

img3886vu7.jpg

img38271oi3.jpg

img3830ow4.jpg

I think I understood the focus step technique, now i need to do something not ugly with it

img3900cg2.jpg

img3778ya5.jpg

img3779kg5.jpg

I don't know why but i liked those two, though they're completly pointless

img3773ct2.jpg

img37631sc8.jpg

Hell, considering you don't know anything about photography (and are too lazy to search for yourself) I would tell you to go with a D40. Even cheaper, and the issues the D40 has that differentiate it from the D80 are not something you're going to be dealing with, especially if you a) can't tell the functional difference between a d40/d80 and B) you probably have the cash to blow on brand-new DX lenses instead of scrounging around in 2nd-hand bins.

I'd suggest buying a D40, throwing away the kit lenses, a 50mm f/1.8 and going away from here for awhile. Then come back in six months after having taken hundreds of photos and say hi. I guarantee you'll be a lot better.

Otherwise, the Canon Rebel, or Rebel Xti are pretty good bang for the buck. I'd suggest going with super-entry level camera body and spending your cash on high-end lenses, 35mm f/1.8 and otherwise being good ones, or the 18-200mm f/2.8 VR for Nikon. I don't know Canon, but there are plenty (most) people on here who shoot Canonzu.

Plus, seconding the buying books 'Understanding Exposure', and my personal favorite, Upton's 'Photography', 6th Edition. Comprehensive and utterly cheap. (~40 USD if you can find it used.)

Finally, lurk a lot and use the GOOGLE function. Your questions, I KNOW, are answered both on SF, or elsewhere on the web using the 'What beginning dSLR should I purchase', or similar.

I assume you are getting a new set, Canon 400D/450D/30D/40D, Nikon D80/D200/D300 are all good.

I wouldn't recommend Nikon D40/D60 series, cause they do not have inbuilt AF motor, which makes you lose AF function on non AF-S lens, where most prime lens now aren't AF-S, and mid end zoom lens.

But if you don't mind getting used, there's a lot of good deals.

Like Canon 20D/5D, Nikon D70/D200 are quite good deals now.

For the learning curve, I think just keep on practicing and trial and error.

Rather than buying a basic body and upgrade to another better body after awhile, may make a loss in selling and buying again.

Google and go down to reputable camera shops in your area and test out, afterall you are the one using.

My 2 cents.

Thanks. :)

Interesting shot!

Lizard chilling out ya.

pretty good book and one that alot of people recommend is "Understanding Exposure"

by Bryan Peterson

Just another XY: sorry for not using the search... im not a lazy person i just kinda forgot about it lol i shouldve googled too your right but its nice to see what ppl on these forums had to say so thats why i asked, Thans for your suggestion, but Im iffy on the D40, i know i really cant differntiate between that and the D80 yet but i just wanna make a good investment, so i dont hafta deal with selling and buying. I was looking at the canon rebel, but iono im not sure if i can use my dad's lenses, hes been using nikon, like i said before he has a D 70, and i think he has that 18-200mm f/2.8 VR on his set up right now. Ill def look at those books you and dunkin deeznuts reccomended, and also ill def be lurking alot so u dont hafta worry about that lol.

Shiro: Yea i def need that AF function lmao, otherwise none of my pics would be clear prolly :rolleyes: I really like the D70 my dad has, and im really leaning towards the D80, but u dont think the D200 will be too much for a novice? I'd love to get good deals so ill def look around, but my dad warned me about knock offs so im a lil worried when i see something really low priced.. and ill def go down to my local camera shop and look around, my dad gives em good business so i know theyre reputable

Thanks you guys for the help, i really appreciate it :)

and i love that lizard pic haha i miss my iguana

Just another XY: sorry for not using the search... im not a lazy person i just kinda forgot about it lol i shouldve googled too your right but its nice to see what ppl on these forums had to say so thats why i asked, Thans for your suggestion, but Im iffy on the D40, i know i really cant differntiate between that and the D80 yet but i just wanna make a good investment, so i dont hafta deal with selling and buying. I was looking at the canon rebel, but iono im not sure if i can use my dad's lenses, hes been using nikon, like i said before he has a D 70, and i think he has that 18-200mm f/2.8 VR on his set up right now. Ill def look at those books you and dunkin deeznuts reccomended, and also ill def be lurking alot so u dont hafta worry about that lol.

Shiro: Yea i def need that AF function lmao, otherwise none of my pics would be clear prolly :rolleyes: I really like the D70 my dad has, and im really leaning towards the D80, but u dont think the D200 will be too much for a novice? I'd love to get good deals so ill def look around, but my dad warned me about knock offs so im a lil worried when i see something really low priced.. and ill def go down to my local camera shop and look around, my dad gives em good business so i know theyre reputable

Thanks you guys for the help, i really appreciate it :)

and i love that lizard pic haha i miss my iguana

1. the 18-200 VR isnt f/2.8, more like f/3.5-5.6 or something

2. i see this often way too much, beginners who shell out thousands on a pro camera, get frustrated with it cuz its hard to use and end up putting it away in their closet. this is exactly what happened to my roomate with his D300 alittle while ago.

I highly suggest going with a D40 or a D80 if you are a beginner. it'll help you better understand what a dSLR can and can't do. while a D200 can do everything and above, it'll take you much longer to figure out what any of the functions do.

but again, if you're up for it and you have the spare cash to spend, then why not?

either way you look at it, D80, D200, theyre both great cameras. you won't notice muich difference as a beginner and i guanratee both wont require you to upgrade for a long time

x36728.jpg

Interesting shot!

or there is a flood light on top of the building and he is using a on camera flash with a diffuser. Because there is no real shadow where the kid was standing. And the background where the kid is looking toward is light up, also with no shadow there. Therefore there couldn't be just using flashes.