you think? i was looking at both of them a bit and didnt see tons of support for the 1.4 over the 1.8, also what i saw/read on the 1.8 looked to be almost all good feedback.

tell me more though if you dont mind. pm if you want, i need a nice prime portrait lens without spending an arm and a leg

my friend used to work with the 1.8 before he switched out to 1.4. im not familiar with canon lens's but from my personal view, both are great lens's. the main difference you'll see is that the 1.4 is crisp (not by huge noticable difference), but the colors are sharper and overall higher quality.

that and for the extra couple hundred, the 1.4 might come useful. think of it in a way that if you're gonna upgrade your entire setup, might as well get something that'll last you awhile.

I'd get the 1.4 too. Better construction, more solid (i know a few people on forum that broke their so easily), and the USM. The autofocus on the 1.8 is okay, but it's way better on the 1.4. And you can find it for very cheap on eBay from HK... (i wouldn't buy a L lens there, but otherwise).

my friend used to work with the 1.8 before he switched out to 1.4. im not familiar with canon lens's but from my personal view, both are great lens's. the main difference you'll see is that the 1.4 is crisp (not by huge noticable difference), but the colors are sharper and overall higher quality.

that and for the extra couple hundred, the 1.4 might come useful. think of it in a way that if you're gonna upgrade your entire setup, might as well get something that'll last you awhile.

I'd get the 1.4 too. Better construction, more solid (i know a few people on forum that broke their so easily), and the USM. The autofocus on the 1.8 is okay, but it's way better on the 1.4. And you can find it for very cheap on eBay from HK... (i wouldn't buy a L lens there, but otherwise).

thanks doodz

dino:i have an old mk1 1.8, metal mount (still EF though). basically a 1.4 but 1.8, before they cheapened the 1.8 and released the 1.4 i've read.it's so nice,focus is spot on and quiet, and it was only $80 off KEH a year ago, basically brand new. even had the stickers on it. it's what i take all my wallet pictures with

might want to look for one of those, too

you think? i was looking at both of them a bit and didnt see tons of support for the 1.4 over the 1.8, also what i saw/read on the 1.8 looked to be almost all good feedback.

tell me more though if you dont mind. pm if you want, i need a nice prime portrait lens without spending an arm and a leg

take both out and shoot with low light, and you'll understand. despite the 1.8 being 1.8 wide open, yes, it lets in a significant amount of light, but what's the point of having a fast lens with slow focusing speed?

i have both lenses, and i'd definitely say to go for the 1.4.. it is that much better. and with all camera gear, really, you get what you pay for.

was walking along Castro w/friend at night, had the p&s handy and saw this shop

2515126513_7917d4f845.jpg

the other side, displayed

2515137407_e62b697322.jpg

this was a big thing of.. can't really describe, i'd like to say trunk stumps placed strategically with flowers laced around it.. but here's a shot of it being taken much further away..poorly executed.

Someone gave me a Pentax K1000 today, any recommendations on a lens I should get? Right now it has the 50 f2 it originally came with and a shitty 80-200 f4.7-5.6 I think.

The 50 f1.4 is only like $150, go for that?

Someone gave me a Pentax K1000 today, any recommendations on a lens I should get? Right now it has the 50 f2 it originally came with and a shitty 80-200 f4.7-5.6 I think.

The 50 f1.4 is only like $150, go for that?

YES. Also pentax has a bunch of awesome older and weird/interesting 3rd-party manufacturer lenses on ebay. I heard of a really strange macro one from sears going for like $30 on ebay. 8o

Hope you have mega fun on ebay for pentax lenses.