what are you reading today?

almondcrush

i dont see how you got that from what i said. i just think atheists for the most part get too much pleasure in rubbing their self-perceived superiority in the face of religious people. books like that one encourage people with good intentions to act just as bad as conservative christian fundamentalists who want to shit on anyones beleifs that arent alligned with their own.

its an intellectual race to the bottom. ill take science over god myself, but i wont shove it in anyones face.

i dont see how you got that from what i said. i just think atheists for the most part get too much pleasure in rubbing their self-perceived superiority in the face of religious people. books like that one encourage people with good intentions to act just as bad as conservative christian fundamentalists who want to shit on anyones beleifs that arent alligned with their own.

its an intellectual race to the bottom. ill take science over god myself, but i wont shove it in anyones face.

You don't need to explain yourself, as I already understood your reasoning. I will even agree with you that some atheists cross the line by unnecessary provocation. However, punching someone in the face over the title of a book he is holding, to me, is just mindless and I don't see how that's any different from torching embassies over a cartoon. I call that terrorism - using violence to force your beliefs upon other people.

When did this thread turn into "Whatever you're seen reading in public today must be wholly representative of your political, theological, or moral stance in the world"?

I'm in the middle of re-reading Roughing It, by Mark Twain. Just in case any homophobes see me reading it in a cafe, they should know its about a trip in the American West, not an endorsement of gay sex.

wasn't bad... i don't thin eggers will ever come close to the success of heatbreaking work of staggering genius... that reminds me, i have to reread that.

a heartbreaking work is the only other eggers book i've read, and what is the what isn't shaping up to be better. but it's good.

Anybody read Eating the Dinosaur by Chuck Klosterman? I got it from my brother for Christmas. Don't have much leisure reading time so I'd like to hear some opinions on it before using the little time I got on it... will just reserve it for summer reading otherwise.

got it for christmas too, and read a few pages. seemed like sex drugs and coco puffs.

closterman is a constant barrage of pop culty references that are supposed to amount to a greater sum but only if youre as neurotic and obsessed as he is. which you probably arent.

its fun stuff. but its just an extended twitter entry posing as ironic intellectual banter.

i didnt even come close to it. i cant see him doing much as a novelist.

anyone in canada needs to hit a chapters cause in the sale section there is esquire mag's fiction anthology for 6.99 and its totally kicking my ass right now.

got some macartney, 3 foster wallace shorts, hemingway, delillo and the short that chris nolan based memento on which his brotehr wrote, plus a ton of other shit. its the bomb.