what are you reading today?

almondcrush

Haven't read this, but someone told me he recommends it to people who love books like The Alchemist. In which case I'll pass.

It is a pretty dense read. I read it for the first time when I was 16 and enjoyed the story but had no idea what was going on with the philosophical stuff. Then I read it in university and thought I "understood" Simon Pirsig. Then I read it a year ago and it really opened up. It is the type of book where anyone can find something of meaning in it.

youre an asshole for reading that in public.

you might as well get a tattoo that says 'youre baby has AIDS'.

i fucking hate athiest lit.

How did you know about my tattoo?! Funny you should mention this though. I just caught a guy reading THE BIBLE (no fucking joke; Gospel of Matthew) next to me at a cafe. I didn't vehemently swing the machete I carry into his skull like the rabid huns all atheists are.

I'm one of the most liberal people I know so I honestly don't care what people choose to believe as long as they don't harm anyone else. I feel that religion is a basic human right only because it has been around since the dawn of human civilization (when it was possibly relevant). By that argument, drug use is also a basic human right but we manage to deny people the right to intoxication of their choice with most drugs, most of the time.

I have only recently jumped into atheist lit. So far, I fucking love it :) I love the mix of history, comparative religion, and rationalism. What related material would you recommend for my Sunday soapbox tirades NESK?

read it all, just stay at home. if i was religious and i was at a cafe and some dude was sitting besides me sippin a latte and had a book that said god ruins everything, id probably punch him. its like if i was jewish and some dude was reading mein kempf. just keep that shit at home my man.

it is. very much so. my hometown banned it because a guy who was caught kidnapping, sexually abusing, and murdering his victims had a copy on his nightstand when he was caught. apparently he videotaped the torturings and they were pretty similar to some of the things in the novel, which are described in very graphic detail.

its still an amazing novel. i read it in the 10th grade and it made me throw up on two occasions.