what are you reading today?

almondcrush

tripping back into the past

straddling between

brideshead revisited

evelyn waugh

romeo and juliet

shakespeare

the latter because i'm supposed to help a friend with his text. the former came highly recommended and i'm barely through the first chapter at the moment but waugh's touch is poetic and good-natured: not unlike forster, who is one of my heroes.

I just finished Eriskon's The Bonehunters. Its plot is probably the hardest to follow in the Malazan series, but otherwise, Erikson continues to awe me.

Reading Alain de Botton's On Love. He also wrote How Proust can change your life. In On Love, Botton created a fictional love story and uses that as a premise to dissect the process of falling in, being in, and falling out of, love. My ex recommended it to me, so yeah.

Gonna pick up Rudy Rucker's Mathematicians in Love tomorrow. Err totally unrelated to the former, this is about two mathematicians in love with the same woman, at the same time the two mathematicians discover a set of theories or something that re-write reality (?), and inter-dimensional aliens come knocking on the door. Sounds like a fun read like Nylund's Signal to Noise and Stross' The Atrocity Archives.

a bit of a thread derail but is there anyone who doesn't like murakami?

i would be quite interested in hearing why. i have read only one murakami short story so my opinions are yet unformed. but everyone seems to love the man's work, does he have his detractors?

a bit of a thread derail but is there anyone who doesn't like murakami?

i would be quite interested in hearing why. i have read only one murakami short story so my opinions are yet unformed. but everyone seems to love the man's work, does he have his detractors?

I've wondered that myself. Honestly I checked out Murakami because he was one of the "it" writers then, when I was looking for stuff to read outside of my usual sci-fi/fantasy genres.

While I enjoy some of his books, I'm also skeptical about all this hype around him, especially among non-Japanese readers. After all, how many Japanese writers reach a critical mass of readership in Japan so they get translated into English for the Western market? Besides Haruhi, I've only read Banana Yoshimoto and Ryu Murakami myself, but surely there are more Japanese writers who remained native (and are conceivably as good or better?), and people like Haruhi Murakami and et al just happen to be the ones who're translated. I'm saying this because I think a lot of Murakami's (as one of the few translated Japanese writers) popularity is just hype.

Personally I don't think Murakami is palatable all the time, or for everyone. Most of his stories give me a sense of surreality, dream sequences seagued together and interspersed with day-to-day normality. That's what I enjoy about reading him. He makes the unreal and dream-like feel matter-of-fact. There's always a feeling of stillness and suspension. But that's how I read Murakami: I don't think too much into his stories or look for hidden meanings between the lines. If and when they come, they come, otherwise it's like a dream, I don't ask.

Well my friend hates Murakami because his characters are paper-cut and two dimensional, they don't respond (emotionally) enough to what goes on around them. The same dream-like feeling I get from reading Murakami, ensnares his characters--they appear detached and going along with whatever Murakami plans for them. Oh but she loves Hemingway, who is a far different writer from Murakami. So that might give you some sorta reference.

This characteristic shows up especially on the film version of Tony Takitani. Beautifully shot with a poignant score from Ryuchi Sakamoto, the short film is somewhat sedated and pastel and its protagonist hardly ever shows enough of anything. It was an enjoyable film but there the feeling of detachment is always present and somehow just stopped me short of throwing myself into the film. I'd still recommend the film for any Murakami fan or film buff though.

Goat by Brad Land. Its a memoir of a guy who was beat mugged pretty much emotionally screwed, that goes to Clemson and pledges a frat. He tries to deal with the brutality of joining the frat while still dealing with the mugging/beating.

That's an interesting mix.

it is isnt it... alchemist and 5 people have religious tones while brave new world's society rejects it.

i dont know what to say. i use to be a pretty devout catholic (church every sunday) till around 17. stop going to church / practicing completely.

opiate for the masses.

soooo i'm reading communist daughter ... i mean, i know reading a book because there's a song written after it is stupid and lame, but i dont give a shit...that being said, how's the book? i'm like 2 pages in cuz i read it at work and there's distractions like....work.