what are you reading today?

almondcrush

I'm a little late on this one but how did you feel about this book? I read it last semester and I'm curious as to what other people think.

i'm only twothirds through, but at this point i'm feeling the same things as i did in white teeth her earlier book--she's got a great knack for storytelling, but (since people have compared this to e.m. forster's howard's end) i'm not sure she has the same level of mastery of the structure of the novel, she tends to dither and trail off and gets a bit self-indulgent at times.

but her writing of dialogue is very natural, and her satire is very sharp and hugely funny.

I've gone back to my geeky past and have started reading the wheel of time series... I'm about half way through the second book. Is anyone a fan?

I used to read them and I got through about 3/4 of the series, but I eventually gave up on the characters. They're too immature and poorly developed! It's like the whole book is a giant game of coodies between the male and female characters.

Im currently on J.G.Ballards "Kingdom Come", its a pretty swrewd (sp?) comment on consumerism and fascism and in/out group dynamics blah bah, I love the content but occaisionally I feel the delivery is a bit cheesy, its the 3rd book of his ive read.

"Notes from the underground" by Dostoevsky arrived the other day, I plan to read that next. Also Boris Vian's "I spit on your graves" came, someone here recommended it. "The fourth sex" arrived, im slightly dissapointed, it feels slightly like its romantically glamourising teenism, but its a beautiful book with text from everyone and anyone and lots of photos of things ive already seen albeit film, adverts or artists practices.

Slipping away from fiction...... Litvinenkos book "Blowing up russia" is also on hand, im really looking forward to it, im kinda a bit pre-occupied with islam and its politicisation, so I down loaded excerpts from Al-Zawahiris ( Egyptian Al-jihad Organisation Leader ) book "Knights under the prophets banner". Then ill start to go through the countless books written by non islam people on the subject. This is kinda stemming from my interest in Adam Curtis's film "the trap".

I used to read them and I got through about 3/4 of the series, but I eventually gave up on the characters. They're too immature and poorly developed! It's like the whole book is a giant game of coodies between the male and female characters.

Yeah I agree, the charcters are really frustrating with the way they interact... It's good to read on public transport though, when I finish this I plan on reading something a little different before starting the next, maybe the new Irvine Welsh