what are you reading today?

almondcrush

I am a huge William Gibson fan - can't wait for the follow-up to Pattern Recognition to be released.

Thanks for the headsup, so am I, didn't know he has a new book coming out. It's really interesting to see the evolution of Gibson's writing and focus, from Neuromancer and his Sprawl novels through the Bridge series to Pattern Recognition.

(The cover for Spook Country reminds me of some Ian Bank covers)

Reading: Allen Carr's Easyway to quit smoking

Does everyone here buy their books? or do you guys go to the library for them? Just wondering:)

I buy books...I like having what I read around incase I want to read again or whatever.

Right now im reading Confessions of an Economic hitman

got this as a present the other day: sound bites by alex kapranos of franz ferdinand

1133M8G3E2L._AA180_.jpg

he is a surprisingly polished writer :)

lush and evocative, he writes in oil on canvas

definitely something refreshing compared to your average food journo

Just finished Neverwhere. Quite bizzare in sections but not unexpected, overall another great Gaiman read.

Now I am reading A Game of Thrones by George RR Martin.

I also have The Good German here to read.

OK, so i've been reading a bit recently, I finished "the double", great great book, dostoevskys use of the untruthful narration, and the slow slip from subjective paranoid into objective reality - I havent read his bigger novels but I think the double would definately be up there with "notes from the underground".... very influential when you think of films/books like fight club, psycho, the wickerman, the tennant, rosemarys baby maybe.....

So then I read the gambler - its good, very much a great short novel to read if you have any interest in gambling, pretty powerful, however, I must confess that this didnt leave quite as much an impression as the previous two Dostoevskys books I have read, nonetheless - its still a gripping story. He wrote it quickly to pay off debts he had amassed from gambling, he dictated it to a secretary, and allegedly it was this act that caused her to fall in love with him. Aww.

Im on Vonnegut's "slaughterhouse 5", very good book, I was expecting something more aligned with Solzhenitsyns "one day in the life of ivan denisovich" however its closer to catch22 in its cynicism, irony and blackly comic opposition to the war related experiences of Vonnegut.

Ive just joined Itunes and ive bought "waiting for godot", wow what a brillliant resource!

Other books ive bought but havent yet read-

Salingers "the catcher in the rye"

McCarthy "the road"

Flauberts "Bouvard & Pecuchet"

Dahls "collected adult storys"

Joan Didion "we tell ourselves storys in order to live" - collected nonfiction.

If anyone has anything to say about these books please please please comment.

viv

right now - everything is illuminated. now quite finished, but i really like it so far. the different takes on the same story are real cool.

just picked up used copies of the loved one by evelyn waugh and catcher in the rye, which i've somehow never read.

going a few posts back, cat's cradle is awesome. one of my all time favorites. so far by vonnegut i've read that, sh5, and breakfast of champions. any recommendations on what to look into next?