what are you reading today?

almondcrush

has anyone ever read a novel by Yukio Mishima? I once played a character inspired by him, and by Sun and Steel, in a modern opera. But I have never read anything by him.

I read temple of the golden pavilion like 10yrs ago

don't remember much

do you have angst? it might be for you

I have not read anything for a few weeks

maybe I should put the keyboard down

Finished reading Donna Tartt - A secret history

Also read recent Philip Roths - Everyman

Anyone any recommendations for a good novel?

Since you're on the Roth stream

have you read Sabbath's Theater? It's the only Roth book I've read, pretty difficult read but an enjoyable book for all the wrong reasons.

Dan Brown is a joke. A really unfunny one.

Totally agree. My English prof in high school had a seminar carefully dissecting The Da Vinci Code, showing how every page was crap. Then I found out Dan Brown graduated from my college, but literally nobody remembers him. No professors remember having him in their classes, and no alums talk about him. Despite his fame, it seems like they've academically ostracized him for his poor works.

baeyer-drewson, no homo, but your location is in me?

hmmm... might have to change that! i've slept in the carcas of a camel to survive the sahara but i've never inhabited the innards of a live human before.

Totally agree. My English prof in high school had a seminar carefully dissecting The Da Vinci Code, showing how every page was crap. Then I found out Dan Brown graduated from my college, but literally nobody remembers him. No professors remember having him in their classes, and no alums talk about him. Despite his fame, it seems like they've academically ostracized him for his poor works.

Haha funny stuff. I am completely unsurprised by this. Best-sellers will get you ostracized from academia quicker than anything.

Every now and again I pick up known trash just to remind myself how bad it is to read such shitsmear on a page. It has the dual benefit of allowing you to further appreciate good literature and have a legitimate first-hand opinion when these books come up in discussion with the imagination-void humanoids that read them. I just read about 4 pages of a random section of Twilight. Stephanie Meyer should die. Everytime I see someone their late 20s walk into my bookstore and ask for it I die a little on the inside.

Finished By Night In Chile before I went to bed last night.

Found the "sordel, sordello...my bed meandering through the rivers of my dream" rambling clever and yet confusing. Also liked how he compared the top brass in the midnight class to a bunch of students.