what are you reading today?

almondcrush

haha DFW is awesome. I have the girl with the curious hair in my library.

seriously, i can't get enough. after finishing infinite jest i just bought everything by dfw and everyone who influenced him.

Coupland's getting lighter and fluffier and I'm disappointed that the last few books have been patchy, but no matter ... every so often he still comes across with something eloquent and enlightening.

To my chagrin, I'm currently not reading anything. Damn being able to download and watch 4 consecutive seasons of The Wire.

Read my post above ;)

Easily the best work I've read.

Wallace's mind is just staggering. I remember at about 300 pages into IJ & having the humor and structure just beginning to make sense and becoming thoroughly subsumed with it. Requires more than one reading though, plan on doing that come August when summer semester is finished.

Coupland's getting lighter and fluffier and I'm disappointed that the last few books have been patchy, but no matter ... every so often he still comes across with something eloquent and enlightening.

To my chagrin, I'm currently not reading anything. Damn being able to download and watch 4 consecutive seasons of The Wire.

Coupland's latest novels have been kinda wack. I couldn't believe the cop-out ending of "The Gum Thief." He just gave up any vestige of a narrative towards the end. Heard they're making a miniseries from "Jpod" for CBC.

Got caught up in The Wire during the winter, watched seasons 1-4 in a month; 13 hours of corner boys each weekend. Shit is addictive.

Coupland's latest novels have been kinda wack. I couldn't believe the cop-out ending of "The Gum Thief." He just gave up any vestige of a narrative towards the end. Heard they're making a miniseries from "Jpod" for CBC..

The TV show has been produced, aired, and canceled. It's was ok. It bugged me that they had to make up fake brands for everything in the show when referencing consumer culture ephemera is one of the best parts of Coupland books.

I was also a little disappointed with the Gum Thief. I think my expectations going in were a bit high because I worked at a Staples back in high school. While the commentary on retail was funny and on point, I found the back and forth structure a bit tiring.

I just finished this:

bookus.jpg

And i'm starting this (don't laugh):

imps_The%20Game.jpg

I guess I like secrets.

Im reading Atlas Shrugged and the Bible. I figure, that, if they are the two most influencial books in human history, I should just read them both at the same time and see where it takes me.

I'm 80% though Atlas, and still in the Old Testament. I don't know who is more wordy, Moses or Ayn.

Im reading Atlas Shrugged and the Bible. I figure, that, if they are the two most influencial books in human history, I should just read them both at the same time and see where it takes me.

I'm 80% though Atlas, and still in the Old Testament. I don't know who is more wordy, Moses or Ayn.

UGGGH

Atlas Shrugged could have been done in about 400 pages. Way too repetitive and drawn out.

Loved Fountainhead though. I recommend that if you haven't read it already.

Reading two polarizing books, very interesting, but i think stating Atlas Shrugged is the most influential book in human history is a gross exaggeration.

but i think stating Atlas Shrugged is the most influential book in human history is a gross exaggeration.

It routinely comes in either first, or second to the bible, in surveys on most influential or most popular books.

My personal theory is that its position is unrelated to its popularity and probably has more to do with how much time Libertarians have to fill in surveys.

I mean, what else do you do when you're working on yet another degree-by-mail in your basement apartment?

I've never taken part in this thread, so here's my reading list.

Last week:

9780141031255H.jpg

51R9BTECPKL._SL500_BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-dp-500-arrow,TopRight,45,-64_OU02_AA240_SH20_.jpg

second_chance.jpg

annnnd

Mr. Barrett's Secret - Kingsley Amis

This week I'm hoping to get to work on Alfred Kazin's "On Native Grounds" and also Kingley Amis' "The Alteration".

I also bought this yesterday, so I'll be reading it on and off.

9780199216802.jpg

I love summer, I'm only taking one class so reading gets fucking DONE.

It routinely comes in either first, or second to the bible, in surveys on most influential or most popular books.

I see where you're coming from and upon further investigation.....

Well I'll be. I just saw Amazons Library of congress list and its number 2 in terms of popularity. Its worth nothing some of the other books as well.

Also, I suppose, how influential a book is depends on the context it is being used. I could see it being influential for successful people or those finding a liberating, non dogmatic empowerment , but in terms of Atlas Shrugged influencing or perpetuating the future of great, original literary works is bogus.

Sorry! I just have my qualms with this book.

Well I'll be. I just saw Amazons Library of congress list and its number 2 in terms of popularity. Its worth nothing some of the other books as well.

Also, I suppose, how influential a book is depends on the context it is being used. I could see it being influential for successful people or those finding a liberating, non dogmatic empowerment , but in terms of Atlas Shrugged influencing or perpetuating the future of great, original literary works is bogus.

Oh yeah, I read that list. It's total shit.

And Atlas Shrugged is a fucking AWFUL book from a literary perspective.

The context thing you mentioned is interesting. It made me think about how often "Catcher in the Rye" makes it to a top spot in those lists, and then I realize that the vast majority of people I've heard talk about that book totally missed the point. So its had the effect of influencing people in the wrong way, or at least, a different way than the author intended.

No apologies needed. I believe you're right in that its not viewed as influential because Rand is a good writer. Because, clearly, thats bullshit.

haha glad we all agree with each other!

and hal, I totally agree with you on the catcher in the rye example. Aside from it being my least favorite Salinger book, (i'm not saying its bad), people put it and Holden Caulfield on a pedistole, simply because it affirms their own particular view instead of challenging it. I feel this is a similar case in Atlas Shrugged.

anyway, nice chat.