Tattoos

• 2 weeks later...

This forum needs some love

I know! People need to start getting more tattoos!

I've decided to take a little brake som taking tattoos. Basically to save some money! I hope the brake doesn't last too long though!

I am planning on getting another inside this week or next. depends on when I have the time to devote 3 days to minimal walking

I started my backpiece in Tokyo. I'm too broke to go back at the moment wish I had the funds to finish it right now, but big pieces like a back piece are meant to take some time. It's ok to be spread out a few years or even up to ten years. haha

Adam Kitamoto is one of the best for Traditional Japanese work. Where are you located? What are you looking to get done? That way other people can send you some other artists that might be worth looking into.

-Edwin

I have a general question for everyone else, does the session get worse the longer you go for yourself personally?  For example using my last tattoo: It was a 6 hour session and for the first 2 hours I was doing well it hurt of course but I could still shrug it off, up to hour 4 I was still relatively okay it was only truly bad over my ankle and near the back of my calf, everything after hour 4 I was sweating like a pig and my nerves were raw and I was on the verge of quitting.

Same here. The first 10 minutes use to be pretty bad, until you get used to the pain. The next 2-3 hours are fine. The last 2 suck badly, especially when stuff is being coloured. Rotarys and dotwork is much easier in my experience. But I also feel like the same spots (shins for example) hurt different on different days...if you sleep well and eat a lot, it's much easier to bear.

I don't really see how this would translate to a tattoo in a good way. It would be something like a tribal. Just get tattoos that look like tattoos

iLjc9yE.png'

Do you guys think this would translate well into a tattoo? Want to get some Persian embroidery

Good luck! Backpiece is such a commitment, but I agree it is my favorite even though it's the least visible. Still got a ways until mine is finished. Sometimes I even forget and catch a glimpse in the mirror and get excited all over again about the back piece. haha

i might be missing something here, but are there any really good trad artists in the bay area? hopefully i'm just not aware of them, but i'm really missing the ny guys right now. quinters, boltz, cross, even hillary... any suggestions?

idle hand  in lower haight

I feel you, I like jason donahue and holly ellis tho, but thats coming from someone who has no really traditional tattoos. I've only got work from erik jacobsen and someone that was guesting. 

Only other shops ive got work on were at Analog (Mutsuo, three tides, guest spot), Castro (friday the 13th $13) and Everlast (Stefan Johnnson, hes kind of a resident). Analog is a beautiful shop, more like a gallery. Castro - I wouldn't go for anything other than the $13 deal. Everlast - Cool little shop. Stefan used to be there every Friday, not sure he still does. But he;s a good option for traditional stuff.

Edit - Chuck Donahue is gonna be here in March I think. Not sure where. Might be up your alley

Edited by Dex_star

i feel like idle hand has a lot good guest spots (for example shaffer comes a lot, saw him a few months ago), but i'm not a huge fan of the residents. do you go to any other shops up here dex? 

Austin Maples though! I really like his style. Really clean traditional work.

I watch Austin Maples stuff.  It is just a good bare bones traditional it has this really tough appeal to it, almost rigid