Shoes that look better with age...

mizanation

whats wrong with alden?!

no worries dude, good luck with sizing. There is plenty of Alden sizing advice in the thread.

They are really nice but the problem is i have to wait 8 months for that......

From what i read, they are tends to run 1/2 size large.

hello SuFu,

please allow me to to introduce myself. I'v been lurking on this forum for over a year now, and really learned so much...

i just read from page 1 to this current page over the past three weeks!!!!

what a ride i must say...

this is definitely Homers "Odyssey" of shoe/boot forums!!!

I love the drama of it as well... a classic!

i would like to share some photo of the start of my collection of boots i have taken the time to find that work for me.

So these were my first pair of real boots I purchased in Japan two years ago,they were a special trickers custom logger boot made only for japan market..

I did nothing to treat them besides wear them regularly for two years, most recently now, just one treatment of of Obenauf's LP which i will continue to maintain from now on.

Trickers | Logger Wingtip M7219 | Grey Calf | Japan

Trickers_Stow_Grey_Calf_001.jpg

Trickers_Stow_Grey_Calf_002.jpg[/img]

Trickers_Stow_Grey_Calf_003.jpg[/img]

i then bought my first pair of Aldens in japan last year which got plenty of wear and no caring treatment as well until this month with Obenauf's LP:

Alden | Cap Toe Kidskin Boots 41886H | Modified Last | Ships Japan Edition.

Alden_Cap_Toe_Kidskin_001.jpg

Alden_Cap_Toe_Kidskin_002.jpg

Alden_Cap_Toe_Kidskin_003.jpg

^ Beautiful collection David! Nice to see the wear coming through! I think you've helped me make up my mind about the natural chromexcel! :)

thanks Yin,

thanks Riff,

i think the natural chromexcel will def have a place in the hearts of folks once they see more real life postings or in real life.

thank you coleslawyum,

hahahha, i know i am not a huge fan of the polish yet.. i am though a firm believer now-a-days, since learning of proper conditioning and maintenance of my shoes for the long run and slow developed patina..

lol seconded on the polishing...beautiful collection nonetheless!

EDIT: I'd forgotten how fun shoe care can be...Gave the Aldens a rub down today with some polish...Also replaced the ripped up standard laces with waxed ones I bought at the Madison Alden store and they look very nice...

@davichan, what sort of procedures do you take for preserving your leather boot collection? As far as conditioning and and maintence is concerned?

Hi Nixx,

to be honest, I was very bad about care due to my ignorance in the past...

of not liking the appearance of a high shined shoe.

i just wore them dry...

literarily with no conditioning...

then after reading 3 weeks of this forum from start to finish, and making the rounds asking tons of questions to local cobbles and shoe salesman in NYC,

i realized that i would use obenaufs for all of my conditioning for non-codovan boots.

for my Cordovan boots, ever two months, or when really needed,i very sparingly prefer to use Rénovateur which i learned about from this forum and purchased at Leffot.

i dont really over baby my boots. i want them to last for many years and develop character..

i wear them. and now condition them to persevere the leather from cracking and elements damage,

but i don't use polish or waxes. i have never really been a fan.

i would really suggest just as i have; reading throughout this amazing forum, and learning from the other members on their care and maintenance... there are so many beautiful shoes and boots to look at..

So I've got a pair of custom black Semi-Dresses coming - I'd really like to get a brown boot as well. I'm limited due to wearing a 13EE and hating moc toes.

There's the Wolverine 1000 Mile for $325 in various places - or for another $160, I could get Smooth Brown Semi-Dresses or Bounty Hunters. But I would have to wait on those to be made, of course.

nice stuff davichan. i would agree with you, i use obenauf on my leather boots/shoes. i just treated one of my boots last weekend with it, and i'm still pretty surprised by what it does for the leather.

thanks fallen angels,

while i was at leffort last, Steven had also recommend me to try a jar of ‘Montana Pitch-Blend’ to compare to the obenauf. have not heard many people posting here using it, but i will give it a try soon with the nasty weather coming in to NY sooner then expected..

I have a pair of Visvim Kangaroo Virgils. I was wondering if you guys would advise conditioning them with obenaufs (or something similar) every now and then. I want them to last as long as possible but as davichen stated, I also don't like the shiny boot look. I know nothing about boots so any info would be appreciated, thanks.

davichan, very nice collection; im especially a fan of the brown calf leather Alden Kidd boots. I believe another forum member (Ed) has them as well?

I would love to see that model with antique (natural) colored leather soles and a commando sole to top it off. Is there any existing Alden model that comes close?