motorcycles caused me strife

wild style

Man, dumped my bike on the frigging MSF after a pretty successful run through it. 3/4 through day 2 my bike straight up died, throttle just totally stopped working (petcock got clogged or something). Had to switch to a totally different style with way tighter brakes, felt a little wobbly on the figure 8, overcompensated and slow mo dumped her :(. They were accommodating though and felt pretty bad about it, wrote a nice note about how it was in no way a reflection of my skill, yadda yadda and stuck it on the back. Got the pass to take it again whenever for free, will probably wait for the temp to drop a bit.

Annoying as hell, but I won't have the cash for a bike until September anyway. Any opinions on Royal Enfield? They're beautiful but I've heard mixed things on their performance and reliability. Was really digging the military model.

Yeah don't worry about stalling, you will get over that really quick once you start riding more. The biggest thing is getting your shifting down going into corners

It's always better to start too small rather than too large. That thing will be lacking power once you get used to it, but if you have a budget, it will be great on gas (and insurance).

I've always told myself, it's more fun to ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow. I've outpaced every single motorcyclist in the twisties while riding an Aprilia RS125. Sure, I won't beat anybody in a straight line but anybody with money can go fast in a straight line.

I've said this before in the thread and I'll stand by it. Start with the bike you want, not something you'll have to get rid of. I learned how to ride on a Softail Deluxe. 700lb, $20k Harley.

I think this only applies if you're going with heavy cruiser styled bikes. Nobody should be starting off with an R1 or an 1198s.

I started off with a 750cc and it was plenty fun but it took me a long time to ride it with full confidence. When I rode my first sub-250cc bike, I instantly felt at home and was riding 10/10 within the day.

just got back from looking at the bike. dude was mad cool. he told me he's selling it because he shattered his knee mountain biking and his wife doesnt want the bike around. been sitting in his garage since january.

anyway, he posted $2000 but he was open to offers so i said $1800. i didnt wanna lowball the guy since he has medical bills. he accepted the offer and is gonna hold the bike for me until i can get the money. which i should already have but i let my parents borrow some to pay rent/bills.

im so excited. hopefully i'll pick it up in two weeks or sooner.

4477a710.jpg

ff2ba59d.jpg

just got her running again!!! '76 CB 550 super sport

2 years just sitting in my garage after electrical gremlins.

I just spent two days checking and cleaning wire connections, fuses, and new battery and she started right up with old ass gas and oil. Rode around the block with no seat no headlight and wires hanging off everywhere.

Time for a tune up then cafe racer rebuild!!

Only being able to work on my CL450 sporadically on the weekends has me considering just buying a new DR-Z400SM.

I thought the thing would fire up while I was at my mom's house on Wednesday - threw some gas in the tank, got to kicking, and the fucking fuel line to the left carb tore.

If I don't get to ride the CL soon... I'm just going to get motarded.

New to this thread, at least posting in it...

Got in a wreck the other day going around 60, sudden stop in front and I tipped it and ran into the guy in front (he had no damage).

Does anyone have experience with bike wrecks and dealing with insurance? Everyone I have talked with (the guys from the tow company, personal friends) have said that the bike is a total write off, but the insurance company wants me to take it to a bike shop to assess for repairs. I know a bit about bikes, and the whole front end is missing, fairings gone, clutch lever snapped etc. and who knows what else so I would rather they just go look at it and write it off because I wouldn't feel comfortable riding the bike after being repaired (obviously they could miss some damage in the frame etc., and no one wants to buy a bike that has been in a wreck).

I am basically asking, is this normal for insurance companies to make you tow the bike to a shop to assess the cost of repair? I was under the impression they just had assessors do that wherever the bike was...

PM me if you can help me out I have never dealt with this kind of shit before so I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks

Just signed up for MSF for the 31st of this month.. can't wait!

So far been looking around for a good priced 250..

Also been gradually picking up gear..

(So far have gloves and a jacket)

My new ride. Got it a couple days ago. 2010 Beemer R1200GS Adventure. Amazing bike. Love it so far.

07162010079.jpg

JIM.jpg

Now I'm trying to track down one of these bad mothers. Don't know if I'll be able to though so if not I'm going to try and track down a similar frame and build one with a bored out Honda XR650R motor and use Ohlins suspension.

ft35s-large1.png