• LHT 710
    • LHT SD-103
    • Sugarcane '47 Type II 50/50 blend
    • No more contests please!

• Replies 540
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i...lets all just aim to settle on what we want by the end of this month!

Here here.

Question though: I'm assuming what we are allowed to choose is based off of what Samurai and Gordon allow us to use, right? So, for example, even if we voted to use 24oz denim, the final say is whether or not Samurai would actually produce the jean, no?

^Correct...although for the right price, anything could be done. Since we'd prefer to keep the cost under $300, however, we may have to compromise on certain details...

It has been argued that we shouldn't have yet another contest with the same S0500XX cut...I feel that we need to step it up a notch with the cut and add quirkier details to differentiate/validate our pair from the rest...I have no qualms using the same cut as it is the perfect compromise in terms of fit (downsize if you want slimmer, TTS or size up if you need bigger), but here's what I suggest:

-Add a cinchback!!! The more and more I picture a 500 cut with a cinch, the more I love the idea. Don't like it? You can always cut it off!

-Black Jin arcs! I know many of you requested hidden arcs but I really feel that if we're going with the "gulls", we might as well just ask for the regular gulls since we actually have that option. IMO the black arcs are the hotness (just check out the first page casper-san example)

-Levi's style 5 pockets (not sure about hidden or exposed rivets yet though?...)

-Button fly

-Patch #1: with two fighting tigers with their left paws crossed in attack, rising sun or mountain in background (Tiger's for year 2010, year of the tiger...Left paws for LHT of course)

OR

-Patch #2: Miyamoto Musashi fighting a tiger with only a wakizashi in left hand (signifying LHT and referencing his two sword fighting style)...This left handed Musashi could also be applied to the infamous normal patch they have, but I prefer the tiger idea. OR

-Patch #3: Miyamoto Musashi striking a tiger style kung fu pose with large kanji for "Tiger style" in the background...possibly holding wakizashi in left hand

These are my thoughts....Since we are blurring Lee details on a Levi's inspired cut, I feel they make sense and flow well. Opinions?

I like the idea of the tiger and both of those ideas seem great (especially the second one I think), but I feel they're both patches that you wouldn't be surprised to see on stock samurai jeans.

if we're going to do quirky details shouldn't we make the patch super unique? maybe something that references sufu or big?

That said, I think we can definitely build off those two options

^^definitely. that and the two tigers crossing patch. oh yeah, i didnt read the past pages , but definitely button fly( if that hasnt been decided on)

Forgot to mention pocket bags...too bad we can't source some crazy Kyoto made kimono silk or something...But a nice navy blue and white Japanese designed cloth would be nice. If nothing else, at least a hickory or something? And lined rear pockets as well...

hendodo button fly for sure...

I think s0500cut is a good decision. although it was used before, it'll be the denim which makes the different. because the denim fades, not the cut ;)

and I really think we should make a poll for every detail which has to be decided.

and when talking about leather patches, make them in the brown leather and stylewise, like they are already on the jins

what about the o500 cut with jin pockets and details with that great 17oz lht denim ( i realy want to be a part of this but i cant buy any more levis type jeans , far too many in wy closet )

that's exactly what I have i mind. maybe some little modifications.

for the 610. I think the low rise is what most people turns off

one thing: don't put the backpockets too far apart as usually with Lee jeans...make your ass look big :D

Agreed for sure.

Also, I'm completely on board with what aho said. I think it's a great mix between a more popular cut (0500) and things that you don't see everyday with Levi type jeans.

In terms of patches, I love that first idea.

-Patch #1: with two fighting tigers with their left paws crossed in attack, rising sun or mountain in background (Tiger's for year 2010, year of the tiger...Left paws for LHT of course)

Love the Lee & Levi's mashup aho. And the left handed tigers are spot on. You have my vote! Where do I sign?

^Correct...although for the right price, anything could be done. Since we'd prefer to keep the cost under $300, however, we may have to compromise on certain details...

It has been argued that we shouldn't have yet another contest with the same S0500XX cut...I feel that we need to step it up a notch with the cut and add quirkier details to differentiate/validate our pair from the rest...I have no qualms using the same cut as it is the perfect compromise in terms of fit (downsize if you want slimmer, TTS or size up if you need bigger), but here's what I suggest:

-Add a cinchback!!! The more and more I picture a 500 cut with a cinch, the more I love the idea. Don't like it? You can always cut it off!

-Black Jin arcs! I know many of you requested hidden arcs but I really feel that if we're going with the "gulls", we might as well just ask for the regular gulls since we actually have that option. IMO the black arcs are the hotness (just check out the first page casper-san example)

-Levi's style 5 pockets (not sure about hidden or exposed rivets yet though?...)

-Button fly

OR

-Patch #2: Miyamoto Musashi fighting a tiger with only a wakizashi in left hand (signifying LHT and referencing his two sword fighting style)...This left handed Musashi could also be applied to the infamous normal patch they have, but I prefer the tiger idea. OR

-Patch #3: Miyamoto Musashi striking a tiger style kung fu pose with large kanji for "Tiger style" in the background...possibly holding wakizashi in left hand

These are my thoughts....Since we are blurring Lee details on a Levi's inspired cut, I feel they make sense and flow well. Opinions?

These all look alright to me, my one request is that we make the rivets hidden...otherwise they hurt my ass/assbone.

as a confirmed martial arts geek (instructor of chinese martial arts/student of judo) i have to point out how bad this would be.

tiger style kung fu - chinese martial art

miyamoto musashi - samurai who practiced a japanese koryu system.

he would not have been doing kung fu, and in the samurai koryu they did not use fighting techniques designed to mimic the movements of animals.

i like the other ideas fine, but this would be like mixing romanizations, or making a sentence with some hanzi, and some kanji/hiragana/katakana, or like putting a picture of wong fei hung wearing a dogi and wielding a katana. not kosher. IMO we should have respect for the samurai tradition and not contribute to its abuse.

we need some kind of sufu reference though.. any ideas?

rep bar colored selvage thread??

"sufu" somewhere on the patch?

rep bar colored arc stitching?

the_ming, LOL hence the "quirkiness"...I'm actually a CMA/Judo guy myself so my post wasn't coming out of stereotypes or ignorance but I get what you're saying...In my opinion, I don't see it as "disrespectful to the samurai tradition" at all, and I personally think the big ups at Samurai would get a kick out of such a thing given their humor...but anyways it was just an idea...

the_ming, LOL hence the "quirkiness"...I'm actually a CMA/Judo guy myself so my post wasn't coming out of stereotypes or ignorance but I get what you're saying...In my opinion, I don't see it as "disrespectful to the samurai tradition" at all, and I personally think the big ups at Samurai would get a kick out of such a thing given their humor...but anyways it was just an idea...

gotcha, just wanted to be sure that you (and anyone reading) would be aware of the joke, then. the problem with some types of esoteric humor is that the joke is lost on 99.9% of the population (or wait, is that the point of esoteric humor? oh well.) sorry for the derail. i like the other ideas a lot.

also, sorry about the samurai tradition thing... it's just *so* misunderstood by so many people that i tend to get defensive easily. plus musashi is a personal hero of mine and mrs ming (she's from kyushu.)

^lol yeah I'm a MA geek myself and agree that no one else would really understand the humor...No harm intended...Cheers! :)

Quick update....Gordon said that the 24oz. denim is just a concept right now, still in development so the actual denim isn't even available as of yet. He is going to ask Samurai about the possibilities of accessing the Gorin no sho denim types as well as the 24 oz. so I'll let you all know what the word is!

BTW, as far as customization...we have access to EVERYTHING in their range...so no worries about what we can and can't do (aside from creating our own cut or denim, which would skyrocket the price)...