Evisu is still loved!

benzak

paulo is the only cat ive seen in years to wear AF 1s and baggy evisus that doesn't look like a he got kicked off the rock-a-fella tour bus. pink gulls take a certain amount of security in your manhood

isnt #2 just a sanf. #1?

You know, I was thinking about this the other day...From the blurb on the Evisu blog, it makes it pretty clear that their No.1 and 2 denim is the same, except that the 2's been sanforised.

At least, that's how I read it.

But if that's the case, why would the No.1 be more expensive? Surely the No.2 should be pricier, by dint of the fact it's gone through an extra treatment?

Nevertheless, the No.2J (Japanese) denim DOES feel a little different to No.1J, and appears to be a little more green caste, especially when it starts to fade (based on what I'm seeing with the Evis jacket I'm wearing)...

nice no2 denim jeans, still looks really good to me. Ben what do you think between 1 and 2?
If you have the money and can invest the effort to get NO.1 then go for it but No.2 is still great denim and alot of the worn pictures you see around are NO.2

I think those pics prove that No.2J is a worthy denim in its own right, and it's good to see some No.2 denim in this thread.

And I'd agree with Paulo, a LOT of the worn pics of Evis that you see are actually No.2 denim - especially the baggier pairs of denims...

you evisu boys should check BIGs evisu updates. i love the handwritten letter. gordon says the selvage color on the #1 vary, but if #2 is a (now specified as 'half sanforized') version of #1, i find it intriguing how ive never seen #1s with a red line... not that i doubt gordon, its just proof i dont know shit...:o. but would i pay over $100 for someone to 'half sanforize my jeans'? i think not! there are other brands from osaka that only offer unsanf denim(you know who they are), and their basic cuts cost a lot less than $350 . is yamane just charging more cause evisu is the most popular? what would make evisus#1( or#0) superior to say samurai zero denim, or fullcounts denim, or warehouses legendary 1000xx?(all of which i own and have worn) ive fondled the #1 before, and its great shit, i just didn't see anything that made it superior to the usual outstanding denim im accustomed to im not critisizing, i really want to know. these are the things i ponder as im falling asleep @night...

... there are other brands from osaka that only offer unsanf denim(you know who they are), and their basic cuts cost a lot less than $350 . is yamane just charging more cause evisu is the most popular? what would make evisus#1( or#0) superior to say samurai zero denim, or fullcounts denim, or warehouses legendary 1000xx?(all of which i own and have worn) ive fondled the #1 before, and its great shit, i just didn't see anything that made it superior to the usual outstanding denim im accustomed to im not critisizing, i really want to know. these are the things i ponder as im falling asleep @night...

Fuck knows...I own zero denim and Fullcount denim, but never handled the 1000xx denim...and I've only broken in No.1 denim properly, so can't comment on the othes although I'm not sure I'd rate the zero denim as highly...

I'd be interested to know just how popular Evisu is in Japan these days, as the range of stuff that seems to be available over there is broad as hell (Rakuten etc). Having said that, the No.1 denin doesn't appear to be that readily available, compared to the No.2....

We all know that price doesn't equal quality. There are so many brands out there that are under the 300$ that have incredible hand/color/fit.

Since Evisu has such great marketing, and Yamane is the marketing guru of Evisu, I'll chalk up the price mostly to hype. But that doesn't mean that I like No.1 denim less. Everything has a price, if you like No.1 denim, you'll pay for it. Sure, Warehouse 1000xx denim is pretty awesome and it only costs $230. But I really dig the stupid gulls, the greenish indigo and the balloon hips.

i think not! there are other brands from osaka that only offer unsanf denim(you know who they are), and their basic cuts cost a lot less than $350 . is yamane just charging more cause evisu is the most popular? what would make evisus#1( or#0) superior to say samurai zero denim, or fullcounts denim, or warehouses legendary 1000xx?(all of which i own and have worn) ive fondled the #1 before, and its great shit, i just didn't see anything that made it superior to the usual outstanding denim im accustomed to im not critisizing, i really want to know. these are the things i ponder as im falling asleep @night...

.I think the price on BiG simply reflects the exclusivity of the product in America. I don't know anywhere else to acquire Japanese Evisus in this country. However, it's still about $300 over in Japan. I do know that Evisu is one of the few brands to reinforce their pocket lining......But, from what I've been gathering, Evisus are extremely tough jeans.......Shit.

I guess it's all relative.

yeah, i do love the reinforced pockets, esp. since thats the first thing i eat-up.

i also like the fact that evisus indigo is pretty tough. and i like the kamome, just not the fat ones. the hand-painted ones are so much more elegant. no matter how much yamane has strayed from the days in which he wrote that letter(and had hair)he has always made the good shit available to those that seek it....my new point to ponder is this: all of BIGs contests so far have been osaka5 denims(sam, WH,FC) so i wonder since gordon doesn't carry Denime will SDA or evisu be next? more imp., would yamane even allow evisu to be used? he obviously gave the nod to the DD+1...

btw ive never seen anyone charge less for sanf. denim that is stated to be the 'same' as a unsanf.denim. i thought that costs?

Well, my package arrived today, and I guess I misunderstood what Matt had said in his e-mail about my pair of Right vs Left - it's the selvedge line on the No.13 side that is different (one side is wrapped in thread, as opposed to the indigo line) - not the denim fabric itself. So I do have one side in No.13, and the other in No.2....which is great as far as I'm concerned.

I also got a pair of 0005's with a plain Black Kamome design, in No.2 denim. These may be part of the Summer 2009 line-up, although the tag says "AW09"....so who knows. They look great, anyhow.

One thing to note about both of these pairs, is that they feel a little tighter on the waist than my Hotei Fan 0005's did - but that may just be because the denim on these feels a lot thicker and heavier than the D660 ever did. Matt did state that the actual waist on these (both are tagged 32) are 34", and I thought the older 0005 pairs used to run 35" on the actual. That said, they fit fine though, and I'm sure they've got a bit of stretch in 'em too.

I know you guys all love pics, so I'll be sure to post some in the next couple of days....

Exchange rate is about $1.41 to the Pound right now - so although the Gyokaku No.1 jean is $270 on the US store site, to buy them (ex-VAT) from the international store would currently cost the equivalent of $227 or thereabouts....of course, that's not factoring in delivery costs, or the potential for customs duty.

I've collected some non-jeans Evisu stuff over the years, but have never posted any pictures of them. I am curious to see what people have. I have a bunch of stuff in storage (t-shirts, bandanas, etc.) that will probably never see the light of day. (or I'm too lazy to get them.) But here is some stuff I have lying around, because my wife actually uses some of it. I wear the shirts and hat.

I get "McDonald's made hats out of denim?" all the time…

hat.jpg

shirt1.jpg

shirt2.jpg

Bags… Be very afraid…

bag1.jpg

bag2.jpg

bag3a.jpg

bag3b.jpg