chillwave, glo-fi, lo-fi, gorillavsbearcore, hipsterwave, pitchforkcore etc

Macwich

hahaha. anyone get the washed out high times tape?

just bought it last night. ernest greene's marketing game is on point, i haven't bought music in years. but the fact that its a tape makes me want to get all nostalgic.

i remember recording shit off the radio on those things- every song i had was tagged with "Hot 103 presents..." or some bullshit

this shit is starting to get boring to me. like its cool background music and all but its lacking depth/character as the scene grows and more tunes come out.

someone needs to darken this style up a bit, like some fucking paranoidwave or something... something to listen to in the dark while walking through a barren city.

^ i agree that some of the acts are lacking inspiration. memory tapes and millionyoung are the two i feel are really using innovation to solidify the genre. after the initial excitement, a lot of this chillwave business DOES lack depth and character, especially toro y moi (in fact, he's only really good on a few tracks, some of them including "flections" don't even fit into the "chillwave sound.")

a darker tone would be really interesting. onemancult, you might be interested in the group former ghosts, who we talked about earlier in the thread. they're kind of like the joy division to chillwave's new order.

dGxsBCmKJ-A

OMC's onto something important, which is that the sound itself doesn't lend itself to progression. It's all about the dubstep thread now, especially with kids like guido and gemmy doing exciting stuff with the genre. loving guido especially right now, and stuff like Beautiful Complication and Chakra have chill elements but with a darker, buzzy, grimy undertone.

side note: I'm not about Cold Cave. At all. Everything that guy's done since AN has sounded like a copy of a copy.

all the songs do have something to do with waves so that must count towards something. ha. ive heard a couple of the songs on there. memoryhouse is the only band that i recognize on there thats sorta chillwave. but whatever, always down for new jams even if it isn't chillwave.

american hearts you going to any of the washed out shows in march? hes playing at the two shows at the mercury lounge.

I'll be at the Monday show. I'm excited for this, especially to see what he does with Small Black as a backing band. Also, it's almost guaranteed I'll hear my favorite WO track (the small black remix)