Resume Questions

fg0d

what do you mean by next level?

they like short, to the point resumes that still has breadth meaning as much info as possible using as little amount of words as you can

easy, friendly to read, clean cut.

and nice thick paper, printed beautifully. always the best and if you a girl make one in scented for the male bosses and nonscented in case with girl bosses, but some girls would like scented too

and nice thick paper, printed beautifully. always the best and if you a girl make one in scented for the male bosses and nonscented in case with girl bosses, but some girls would like scented too

u mean u spray your perfume/scent a bit on the paper?

I'm pretty sure I was hired for my second job during college because I listed "crunchy peanut butter" as a personal interest and the HR manager was down.

Not sure what you mean by having a next level resume though...

Are you planning to make a dinosaur pop up book or something?

minimalist/design stuff is fine as long as it looks professional and is easy to read.

templates are fine too, but even if you're applying for an office monkey gig--having a slick resume can help you stand out.

just don't get crazy with fonts and if you do dinosaur pop ups,

stick to herbivores, everyone likes a stegosaurus.

what do you mean by next level?

they like short, to the point resumes that still has breadth meaning as much info as possible using as little amount of words as you can

easy, friendly to read, clean cut.

WHAT THE FUCK, if a bitch don't hire you after doing all this, they are trippin HARD

also, google your boss/facebook stalk them and then profile them enough to know what you should put on your interests

with todays economy your best off making a great resume that you can just make minor changes to as you advance.

take time to make it look nice of course but mainly, since you need to keep it extremely short, make sure the words you are using are the BEST possible words to describe you, your experience, or your attributes. Even if it's just for a bs job now it's worth to get in the habit.

Do you think generic ass employers care if my resume is next level? Or do you think they might even find it childish? I'm making one now and im not sure if they'll care/like it. does anyone wanna share theirs with me?

just say in your resume that your skills are 'next level'

you'll get the job for sure

I just graduated and had to take a resume/interview prep type class this quarter. The professor told me (I asked a similar question to your first post) that the more creative the job and/or the smaller the company the more open to creative or interestingly designed resumes. If in doubt stick to the boring corporate style and remember always one page never any more.

Fuck minimalist templates. Unless you are working for an honest-to-goodness design company, the best design you can have is something that's professional, clean, and extremely easy to read.

how do you get it all on 1 page?

i was flicking through some resume's when i was doing work experience at an ad agency once and some of them were like 10 pages long n fully bound.

These are not résumés, these are CVs. CVs you need to be as thorough as possible with your education/positions/achievements/awards/grants/research. Way different.

serious answer.....

i'll tell you what i know from a business perspective:

- no white space. have your spacing set up so your resume takes up the whole page

- write sentences explaining what you do, but do it in a way to show that the skills are transferable (example: "team leader during quarterly physical inventory, ensuring completeness and accuracy in the count")

- use action words

- try your best to ensure you have full pages (1 or 2). you don't want 1.5 pages. don't go over 2 pages either.

- the "interests" section is very important. I've never had an interview where somebody didn't ask about a part of my interest section. just let people know that there's life outside of work (and sufu)

- format your resume to represent the job you're applying for. put the relevant experience at the foreground, and when detailing your job duties, match them to the requirements in the position your applying for. (example - if the position requires proficiency in Microsoft Office, put something like "analyze key data using various Excel functions, such as pivot tables, vlookups, and macros")

good luck dude

...kaws&effect . . .

seriously?

...I know, its not as groundbreaking as Gouf but yeah...thats my alias.

Fuck minimalist templates. Unless you are working for an honest-to-goodness design company, the best design you can have is something that's professional, clean, and extremely easy to read.

Thats kinda what I meant by minimalist concept...simple yet professional.

When I was applying for professional schools, I used Resume Edge.

It's a comprehensive resume editing service. You get assigned an editor and he/she works one-on-one with you.

You just feed them your info and they'll phrase them so that they are succinct enough to fit into the page restriction but look readable i.e. they do type setting.

I think I paid like $75 for the service. There's a plenty of coupon codes floating around.

The folks at my university's career center (one of the top 15 schools in the US) liked the resume so much that they decided to keep mine as a sample. No joke.

It's not one of those essay writing services that outsource the services to India.

If you are applying to work at a local cool-guy boutique or whatever, I don't think it's necessary but spending 75 bucks here will earn you more $$$ in the long run and help you get more jawns.

having read over 3000 resumes in my life, I can give you the following advice:

- Customize your resume for each job posting. I know this is a pain in the ass but it helps a TON

- Don't put your "goal" on your resume. That shit is for the cover letter

- KEEP IT TO ONE PAGE. Unless you're applying for a job where they want to see your scholarly publications or something in europe, keep it to one page.

- Keep it to one page

- And while you're at it, keep it to one page

having read over 3000 resumes in my life, I can give you the following advice:

- Customize your resume for each job posting. I know this is a pain in the ass but it helps a TON

- Don't put your "goal" on your resume. That shit is for the cover letter

- KEEP IT TO ONE PAGE. Unless you're applying for a job where they want to see your scholarly publications or something in europe, keep it to one page.

- Keep it to one page

- And while you're at it, keep it to one page

this is the best advice

KEEP IT TO ONE PAGE