Resume Questions

fg0d

Most people who work in HR literally want to spend 2 minutes or less looking at your resume. If they have to turn pages or hunt around to figure out what you do, they'll ditch you and move on to the next one.

having read over 3000 resumes in my life, I can give you the following advice:

- KEEP IT TO ONE PAGE. Unless you're applying for a job where they want to see your scholarly publications or something in europe, keep it to one page.

- Keep it to one page

- And while you're at it, keep it to one page

While nobody wants to see 3 pages of what fast food places you worked at. I think 3 page resumes are fine for high level jobs.

btw know any good physical security johnny long types who arent former military or law enforcement?

While nobody wants to see 3 pages of what fast food places you worked at. I think 3 page resumes are fine for high level jobs.

Depends on the job. If you're applying to be a CEO then maybe, but no matter what your job history looks like, or how long it is, you should be able to pare it down to one page for EACH INDIVIDUAL JOB LISTING...

Remember, you (MUST!) have a max one-page cover letter that you can use to "tell the story" whereas the resume itself should really be a quick summation of your _relevant_ work history... I stress relevant because that's one major way you can pare down on length ;)

Is a cover letter absolutely necessary even for entry level jobs, say working cashier at starbucks or something? Will it make/break the deal or will it be the one thing that pushes your resume as being 'next level'?

A job like that won't really need a cover letter. I doubt that people hiring for food service or cashier jobs are really looking to see how well you can express yourself and your ambitions in writing. That would be the time to write a résumé that highlights your skills, ability to multi-task, ability to work in teams, etc.

Is a cover letter absolutely necessary even for entry level jobs, say working cashier at starbucks or something? Will it make/break the deal or will it be the one thing that pushes your resume as being 'next level'?

Don't think so. But that kind of job is much less likely to even ask for a resume - more like an "application."

How would you have a resume with no experience? :)