so, i'm having a pair of jeans made . . . .

mizanation

i was wondering why the chemical makes the water look dirty, but i think i know now.

since it looks brown, you can tell that the chemical is in the water. otherwise, you wouldn't know if you put it in or not.

he says it comes out of the iron clear, so maybe at a certain temperature the coloring goes away?

ok, some people were asking why the japanese waistband chainstitchers can't chainstitch all the way to the end. kuniyoshi-san explained it to me.

below you can see the gap between the roller and the fabric. on a standard machine, the fabric has to be under the roller or you can't sew the chainstitch.

DSC_0034.jpg

you can see why the chainstitch wouldn't start from the end.

DSC_0035.jpg

i just went by a store and checked out the lvc47s, and they didn't have any of the artisan's marks. flat-ass belt-loops, no bulge between rows of stitching, etc. in general, the whole of the sewing looked very sloppy when compared to my FC and WH, which i had in the store with me today. both of the okayama jeans had all of the details. they sold for $185, which is a serious rip since they sell for $80 across town @ the levis store. no one buys lvc here, so they had em' for $40 on clearance, and then when my dude copped a few pair they went back up to $80...btw they were Made in the USA(it matters).

i was wondering why the chemical makes the water look dirty, but i think i know now.

since it looks brown, you can tell that the chemical is in the water. otherwise, you wouldn't know if you put it in or not.

he says it comes out of the iron clear, so maybe at a certain temperature the coloring goes away?

For industrial steam irons you can either use distilled water or you have to use some kind of filter. My guess is that "chemical" is that kind of filter, which means it's closer to a fine sand than a substance to get mixed into solution. This gets all the little algae etc that might be kicking around in the water before it goes down the tube. He's probably had that tank for years and it's picked up color on the way, not to mention the chemical filter stuff isn't the best looking stuff in the world.

i just went by a store and checked out the lvc47s, and they didn't have any of the artisan's marks. flat-ass belt-loops, no bulge between rows of stitching, etc. in general, the whole of the sewing looked very sloppy when compared to my FC and WH, which i had in the store with me today. both of the okayama jeans had all of the details. they sold for $185, which is a serious rip since they sell for $80 across town @ the levis store. no one buys lvc here, so they had em' for $40 on clearance, and then when my dude copped a few pair they went back up to $80...btw they were Made in the USA(it matters).

IMG_0954.jpg

flat ass?

For industrial steam irons you can either use distilled water or you have to use some kind of filter. My guess is that "chemical" is that kind of filter, which means it's closer to a fine sand than a substance to get mixed into solution. This gets all the little algae etc that might be kicking around in the water before it goes down the tube. He's probably had that tank for years and it's picked up color on the way, not to mention the chemical filter stuff isn't the best looking stuff in the world.

when i look at the picture of the tank, the brown stuff is at the bottom and the pipe leading out to it is clear. so, it probably is some kinda filter.

BUT, the water is not brown because of algae. why would a guy who spends this much attention to detail use a water tank with crappy brown algae in it? come on, man!

he says he goes through the water so frequently that he really doesn't need to use the chemical, but he does it anyway to be on the safe side.

hey miz, can you maybe ask kuniyoshi-san how he does the ends of the waistband? is it different as well since the waistband is fully chainstitched at the bottom?

he folds the end of the waistband in and then finishes the chainstitch over the fold. oh, and he tucks in the left over chainstitch into the fold when he single stitches it.

banzai!

DSC_0070.jpg

btw, it doesn't take this long for him to make a pair of jeans.

it really only takes him a day to make a pair.

the reason why it's taking so long to document the process is because i haven't had the time to upload all the pics, etc...

so, anyways, back to the story. last week, kuniyoshi-san came by to take measurements for hemming.

DSC_0075.jpg

DSC_0077.jpg

after he's done, he does another step.

the problem with a chainstitch is that if there is a cut in the stitch, the whole stitch can come undone with one pull.

to demonstrate this, he cut the chainstitch and pulled on the thread which quickly unraveled the chainstitch.

DSC_0114.jpg

DSC_0115.jpg

DSC_0119.jpg

to prevent this, kuniyoshi-san puts in what he calls a "brake." he cuts the stitch at a certain area and pulls one of the threads through a loop--or something like that. anyways, the result is that the chainstitch will not come undone, even when you pull on it hard.

here, he is putting in the brake:

DSC_0121.jpg

DSC_0122.jpg

DSC_0123.jpg