make a case for the unlocking of waywt shit talking thread.

haptronic

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i create a thread that has good discussion, about something that people seem passionate about. which is the point of a message board if i am not mistaken

i come under attack for this, and not only that but for how i dress, that i post my outfits on a fashion forum. i mean seriously wtf?

i have never stated that i am against shit talking thread, it was locked as a group discussion amongst the mods as it was out of hand at the time.

rather than make a good case for the reopening of the thread, the attacks in here serve to point out reasons why the thread is a bad idea, i mean if we can't discuss this without resorting to uninformed cheap shots, then what place does a thread designed for critiquing outfits have in the forum?

Oh my god, you are going to take less than 15 very short "attack post" into more consideration over more than 50 valid post on why it should be opened? now you are picking and choosing.

Most of what I'm saying is philosophical anyway (for lack of a better word), it doesn't involve knowledge of a topic, so there's nothing really to 'know'.

Of all that I read this is the most important thing you have said, to which have been said by people before to you. The methods are tried and true. There is nothing philosophical about it, it has worked before, your "theories" of what will happen are nullified.

Nobody said your noob opinion isn't important, but with what you said here, we are saying it doesn't matter, because in a thinly veiled way, your bold comment explains that you still don't know what you are talking about.

I don't know why people even bother saying this, why would I? What reason do you give me to do so? Be more mature about it and maybe we can work something out, I can't fix what I'm not aware of.

As for Cotton Duck's point, the fact that I am one of the potential victims doesn't nullify my point, as we're not talking about the people, merely the fits. My bias towards the thread is opposite yet somewhat equivalent in potency to the rest of you, so if I'm not entitled to this opinion, neither should you be.

The tolerance argument AstroWolf mentioned is a fair point, but like a murderous gang isn't allowed to roam the streets, likewise a thread dedicated to berating people shouldn't be allowed to be public. Be it your society or not, it is causing foul, foul which goes against the superfuture regulations displayed prominently to your right.

Sayword, I agree with most of what you've said, it's certainly a utopia worth fighting for, but I don't think the shit talking thread is part of the answer. To me, it is simple minded and gives a bad name to the great reputation of superfuture. On a slightly abstract level, all this hate could potentially become a part of the people that frequent the thread, causing other parts of the forum to degenerate. It isn't easy to mentally contain thoughts, emotions and opinions of sorts within a single 'discussion', this is evident by the 'worst waywt' thread, some may see this thread as a release, but I think there are better ways. Speaking of shit talking, I don't appreciate your assumption that I don't know what I am talking about, I may be new here but take that as an attribute to my opinion, not a reason to void it. Most of what I'm saying is philosophical anyway (for lack of a better word), it doesn't involve knowledge of a topic, so there's nothing really to 'know'.

You do realize the "shit talking thread" is in supertrash. The rest of the forum is moderated and personal attacks free. I don't see what's so hard to understand concerning the nature of the largely unregulated and assholish part of the forum.

I think some threads need to be taken out of the trash though, like WAYWT chat ed and maybe a few of the other tasteful ones.

shit too late to join the party.

however, i would like to state that i read every single post in this thread from start to finish (well except some of xeno and db's). I haven't done that in a good 6 months.

Hap, I used to think you were an ok dude, but that impression of you is quickly waning. I think we still haven't heard your side of the story for locking the ST, but instead you complain about personal attacks levied against you. Perhaps you feel like you have been unjustly wronged, but really it just sounds like bitchassness. <--(afraid of being banned, I am).

If you wanted to have a trial period, why unlock the worst waywt thread when you could just as well have unlocked the STT thread on a probationary basis? This isn't a veiled accusation, it's a serious question.

Lastly, someone mentioned that locking the STT isn't going to get rid of the hate, it just spreads throughout the rest of the forum. I agree entirely. If anything, at least the STT thread focused all the hate and shit-talking somewhere where it could be monitored.

. I think we still haven't heard your side of the story for locking the ST,

this would be because i did not lock the STT as i stated earlier, if you had indeed read the entire thread you would have noticed this.

the discussion that normally comes up when there is excessive hate on the forums is one of locking supertrash as a whole and banning the members perpetrating the hate, to create an atmosphere more conducive to intelligent discussion, an open sharing of information on fashion, really to get the lurkers who are capable of such things out of the woodwork by taking away the highschool mentality that comes from the trash.

i am sure you agree that locking a few threads is a much more palatable option.

Lastly, someone mentioned that locking the STT isn't going to get rid of the hate, it just spreads throughout the rest of the forum. I agree entirely. If anything, at least the STT thread focused all the hate and shit-talking somewhere where it could be monitored.

this is not true, having been charged with watching the forum i can state that the locking of both worst and stt only served to reduce the amount of shit talking across the forum.

the fact that jayrock can post whatever he said above after being banned for these kind of posts goes to show that rather than the iron fisted dictatorship that is claimed in this thread, supertalk and the existence of the trash give more scope for users than any other fashion/shopping message board that springs to mind.

really i fail to see how it is intelligent or even a smart move to attack the people who fight in the background to keep the trash open, to keep members who have been banned posting, to re-open threads that bring a whole lot of trouble more work for the mods, and scare away posters that we could all learn something from.

it is a nice day outside i might just go and enjoy it

have fun