Full Count 2009 Contest Redux

Denim Phenom

i can only speak about german customs, but they usually don´t care about the value written on the package and want to see a bill or invoice. if you don´t bring it along they look for prices on websites... so undervaluing doesn´t work in the end.

Yeah, that is the case in Finland too. And they are really dedicated to what they do...

You most certainly have to pay shipping also (in Finland). :(

It's like this: (Item price * 1.12 + shipping) * 1.22 = Your contribution to the feodal lords.

I've estimated it's about 75 euros if they use the exchange rate from last november (which they should use).

If you show them the bill - cc staement and stuff - they are not allowed to charge the shipping costs....make sure you have that - and a printout of the item on the website - with you....

tvshooter, thats a great fit, cuffed and uncuffed

mine are still held at customs; if they are not released by the end of this week then most likely they won't accept the declared value and will be demanding a written document that proves the cost of the jeans.

If you show them the bill - cc staement and stuff - they are not allowed to charge the shipping costs....make sure you have that - and a printout of the item on the website - with you....

They are so greedy here that they will charge you VAT (22%) from both the item and shipping-fee. as the shipping is a service bought outside EU. Import tax (12%) is added only to the item.

If my grandmother (from outside EU) would sent me a birthday present, say a pair of jeans. I would still have to pay the VAT + Import tax from the value of the jeans but NOT including the shipping fee as it's not considered 'commercial' transaction. Happy birthday to me... :rolleyes:

Finnish customs are not following the EU guidelines considering taxing. Most conflicting issues are taxing of alcohol and motor vehicles...

Well, my little bike ride to the customs office set me back 75 euros, so möykky was right on the money, pretty steep i think we can all agree!

but thats all water under the bridge and here's the pre soak measurements:

measured according to BiG of course (0105 size 31/34)

Waist: 33,9

Front rise: 11,8

Back rise: 16,5

thigh: 13

Knee: 9,8

Hem: 8,6

Inseam: 35,2

Pre soak fit:

fullcountpresoak003.jpg

fullcountpresoak005.jpg

fullcountpresoak007.jpg

i'm about 5 foot 7.

jeans are hot soaking right now, post soak pictures later.

I just finish sewing on the red tab. Took me almost an hour. I'll probably won't soak my until sometime this weekend.

Any one still going with painted arc? Should I paint it before or after the initial soak? The template Gorden sent me is smaller than the actual back pocket. I wonder if they are going to shrink that much.

i was considering doing video of it but i realized 2 things:

1. i don't really know how to sew

2. i have shaky as hell hands

adding a 3rd:

3. it'd probably look awful.

in conclusion someone who knows what they are doing, please make a video of this.

howd you guys go about putting the tab on ?

wesc, I put my tag on where it is on my Warehouse 1001xxs. I only broke the outside line of stitches around the backpocket; the tag wasn't wide enough to be stiched in with both lines of backpocket stiching. Hope that made sense! I also sewed beyond where I cut the stitches out, hoping to prevent future breaking of the original stiching. Took maybe 10 minutes from start to finish.

This is how I sew the tab on.

1) use a thread pick to cut the thread from the inside.

2) pull the thread apart.

3) bring the thread from the outside to the inside and tie a knot to prevent the thread from unraveling

4) back stitch the tab in.

I was having trouble doing step three since the thread isn't long enough. I finally figure it out you can bring the thread back inside while backstitching.

Some visual aid from Fabfour (courtesy of Sinichi-san) on how to prepare and how to back stitch

http://www.fabfour.co.jp/pdf/PreparationForSewing.pdf

http://www.fabfour.co.jp/pdf/HowToBackstitch.pdf

I have decided to generate a blog on blogspot.com that can be used along with this to keep up with the contest. I haven't blogged before so this is all new to me.

If you would like to be an author on the blog send me your email address and i'll add you as an author. You need to be a contestant in order to post to the blog. I think this will be better so then I won't have to update all the time.

Please keep all blog entries related to your jeans and work safe.

http://fullcountcontest2009.blogspot.com/