Stronghold Denim

STA TRU

While in LA on business I had the chance to stop by and check out the Stronghold shop. I found their jeans a half ass attempt at reproducing the original Stronghold denim. They are completely modernzied with low cut rise and the odd pocket stitching. Also, I found the pre-washed, pre-shrunk denim a big disappointment. For the money you could buy a couple pairs of Lee Japan, or LVC Japan that are a much more faithful reproduction of vintage denim.

Ok, Cotton enlightened me that this thread was getting new life, so I guess I better chime in:

1) Yes the cuts are updated. We are not a repro company. We make, what I like to think are, rather nicely made selvage jeans, made by a brand with legitimate American workwear heritige. Our aim is not to recreate past patterns from turn of the century, but rather use our aesthetic to make beautiful new garments. We also carry White's boots for example: We don't ask them to recreate for us the boots as they were made in 1906, but rather are honored to carry the current offerings from a company that have a tremendous American history, outfitting pioneers, miners, loggers and firefighters.

2) The back pocket detailing is not for everybody, granted. By spring we will be offering jeans with a completely plain back pocket, but still with our exposed rivets. This will be called "The Purist Jean". This jean will also be offered in a special denim for its first offering.

3) True! all of our buttoning and riveting is done by hand! Each pant has Five buttons and seven rivets; Rivets are hand hammered and Buttons are set on a kickpress (i.e. foot powered). Come by the store sometime and I'll be happy to show you!

4)We are presently expanding the line to include more products that share a similair heritage. For example we have found an American shirting company that has been in continous operation since the 1920's. They will be making our own line of off the rack and custom shirts, which will feature half button plackets (pull over style) band collars, and other traditional detailing.

5) There will be more additions to our instore stocklist: to incldue Russell boots, Case Knives and others; Keeping in mind that we will only carry brands who's origins predate WWII and are still manufactured in America.

We are happy to acknowledge that the line is not for everyone! By no means are we trying to bark up Samurai's tree. I would challenge anyone of you though to come by the store, and not atleast have a good time looking around, playing with our dozens of bolts of different selvage fabric (selvage herringbone twill anybody??!!); or trying on our custom ordered White's boots mock-ups.

Regards

-Bill

Ok, Cotton enlightened me that this thread was getting new life, so I guess I better chime in:

1) Yes the cuts are updated. We are not a repro company. We make, what I like to think are, rather nicely made selvage jeans, made by a brand with legitimate American workwear heritige. Our aim is not to recreate past patterns from turn of the century, but rather use our aesthetic to make beautiful new garments. We also carry White's boots for example: We don't ask them to recreate for us the boots as they were made in 1906, but rather are honored to carry the current offerings from a company that have a tremendous American history, outfitting pioneers, miners, loggers and firefighters.

2) The back pocket detailing is not for everybody, granted. By spring we will be offering jeans with a completely plain back pocket, but still with our exposed rivets. This will be called "The Purist Jean". This jean will also be offered in a special denim for its first offering.

3) True! all of our buttoning and riveting is done by hand! Each pant has Five buttons and seven rivets; Rivets are hand hammered and Buttons are set on a kickpress (i.e. foot powered). Come by the store sometime and I'll be happy to show you!

4)We are presently expanding the line to include more products that share a similair heritage. For example we have found an American shirting company that has been in continous operation since the 1920's. They will be making our own line of off the rack and custom shirts, which will feature half button plackets (pull over style) band collars, and other traditional detailing.

5) There will be more additions to our instore stocklist: to incldue Russell boots, Case Knives and others; Keeping in mind that we will only carry brands who's origins predate WWII and are still manufactured in America.

We are happy to acknowledge that the line is not for everyone! By no means are we trying to bark up Samurai's tree. I would challenge anyone of you though to come by the store, and not atleast have a good time looking around, playing with our dozens of bolts of different selvage fabric (selvage herringbone twill anybody??!!); or trying on our custom ordered White's boots mock-ups.

Regards

-Bill

Cheers good sir, you have reinvigorated my interest in this brand. Some of the previous post had me questioning myself, but you have reassured me. I wish I could view more of the brand's pieces, but Blue Bee seems to be the only online store selling it. Is there no website?

I will take some pictures in the near future and get them posted for the collective. The website is underconstruction at present, but will be found at TheStrongholdLa.com once its up and running!

-B

oh right I missed that bit.

Doesnt make sense in my eyes as people who like repros usually like them for the comfortable 'traditional' fit..... e.g. repro fans probably arent gonna have a lot of 'cheap monday' style fits in their collections, and vice versa the low rise skinny brigade normally wouldnt be seen dead in 55s, 1920s style fits.

Its kind of 'either or'.

Just my opinion anyway :)

oh right I missed that bit.

Doesnt make sense in my eyes as people who like repros usually like them for the comfortable 'traditional' fit..... e.g. repro fans probably arent gonna have a lot of 'cheap monday' style fits in their collections, and vice versa the low rise skinny brigade normally wouldnt be seen dead in 55s, 1920s style fits.

Its kind of 'either or'.

Just my opinion anyway :)

I'd like to think there is a happy medium (or multiple, for that matter) between the high waisted true-repro look, and the skinny-scandinavian look. Our cuts for men are straight and traditional in their silouette, but drop waisted for comfort. They are not a "low rise" cut. I would characterize them as a medium rise. Our Straight leg cut is higher waisted than my PBJ005's for example, but lower than my LVC 201's (the old, leather patch 201's)

Our overall intention is to provide a traditional asthetic with an updated feel, much the same as The Flat Head does on some of their cuts.

I'm gonna wait till mid-week to take some pictures: A bunch of our really special fabrics and samples went with the owners and wholesale department to Magic in Vegas this weekend. Once it all comes back, I'll post something juicy.

• 2 weeks later...

Our first celebrity sponser, Charlie Chaplin ca. 1916

IMG_0114.jpg

Filson's beautiful luggage

IMG_01151.jpg

White's boots

IMG_0124.jpg

A Stronghold signature boot by Whites... 8'' Smoke Jumper with single leather sole and semi dress brown leather (dry tanned)

IMG_0126.jpg

Our new exclsive Cone Denim. White Oak Green Selvage, in celebration of the 100 year anniversary of the Cone White Oak plant. Teaser shot...

IMG_0117.jpg

Selvage Samples: (top to bottom) Cone White Oak Green, Herringbone - solid yellow ticker, Veggie Indigo Organic, Persimmon Fruit dye Organic, Charcoal Mineral dye Organic

IMG_0120.jpg