Stronghold Denim

STA TRU

Has anyone heard of this company? I took a look at it in August, and the idea seems fairly on point. Stronghold is suppose to be a workwear company that was unearthed from 1895 (don't know if it's fictitious or real), and the line consists of all the appropriate workwear style jeans reproduced in an authentic manner. Everything in the line was selvedge, and they even had one style that was a natural indigo dyed ( I guess most heritage companies have at least one of these in their line now). It's suppose to start shipping this month, so I'm curious to know if anyone has seen them. It definitely looked like a promising line.

Quality over quantity

They call themselves LAs first jean brand, having knocked-off Levi's workpant very early.

I believe there's even a blurb in Paul T's book which says much of the same. Personally I wasn't that taken with them at Project NYC. I still have their linesheet somewhere...

This is what Paul T's book has to say:

"Stronghold brand jeans, which boa a strong resemblance to Levi's, were produces by Brownstein, Newmark and Louis in Los Angeles from the early 1900s."

They also wrote something about them on a page with photo's with pics of jeans from around 1900:

"Stronghold jeans, made in Los Angeles and probably the leading brand in that area at the time."

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Im really good friends with the owner of The Stronghold !

Yes it is a true story and he has an old LA times news paper with Charlie Chaplin wearing them !

One of you said you werent impressed with them , but did you see them on any one ? I have 4 pairs and they are the best fitting jeans Iv ever tried . I personally love them !! I think they will be going off . If any one is like me and likes to be one of the first to wear a brand , do it now ! Mike the owner started Von Dutch and was the one who had all the stars wearing it !! I promise these will be the it jeans very soon -STEPH-

STEPH

Saw these at Saks...tried the regular one rinse model. Not impressed at all, especially for $300.

They also had washed/distressed models, and one with a buckleback which def would have been cooler if it were also a one rinse.

The fact that the guy that started Von Dutch is associated with this brand is a negative in my book. And the assumption that this will be worn by all the "stars" is the final nail in the proverbial coffin.

This guy "Mike" if you noticed he was the "founder" of Von Dutch "before" it went south! Give the poor girl a break! Sounds like she's stoked on her friends NEW COMPANY and btw, WHat are all of you doing? If you aren't into clothes/JEANS that celebrities are wearing then why were you at Saks?....They certainly look a hell of a lot better than most of the cheesy denim copies , everyone else is doing!

Scarlet icon_smile_clown.gif

Oh Man....Do you have to be so MEAN ? O.K. Lets start over !!!!

Yah my friend was the founder of Von Dutch !

He left when it was cool after he left the brand got CHEEZY !

I HATE Von dutch !!!!!!!!!!!!! I was just making the point that " the Stronghold " will be big and that Mike Knows what he is doing !

And what I ment was if you like to wear a brand before the celebrities and anyone else do it now ! Its like True Religion jeans , I love them but now I see them everywhere and dont want to wear them any more and when The Stronghold gets that big I wont want to wear them either !

Im not triing to sell them! I just really like the jeans I have and I rarly liked any !

I really dont care what you wear!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!-STEPH-

STEPH

I do agree, Mike does know what he is doing. He is the one who decided to take the Von Dutch name and create a clothing label. Has nothing to do with the company now, which i have lost all respect for.

People who have worn Stronghold love the fit and comfort. This will be popular to a select group who love selvage denim as well. The attention to detail is great, and the button fly is very comfortable as they lay flat and do not bulge. Just my 2cents.

No advertisment from me on this. I still love my nudies and have too many pairs of 575 to know what to do.

Got them all at http://www.575jeans.com. Advertisement here ;-) lol j/k

http://www.ocstreet.com

Real Orange County Street Fashion and Culture

I own a storage locker full of clothing that will soon be a store here in Nashville. I came here from LA, and was in the music business for 25 years before I decided to dress the musicians here instead of lug their stages around the world for the rest of my life. Opening a store here has proven to be more cut throat and competitive than I ever imagined, and with denim so popular for just about any occasion, choosing lines was a real challenge. I went to the markets, and the majority of the lines I was most familiar with were already oversold in this market, or had agreements with other retailers to be exclusive.

I happened upon the Stronghold on a tip from a friend with a shop in Atlanta, and I called Michael Cassell to see where I could check out the brand. There was no showroom yet, so he and Wendy Floyd came to the house in Glendale where I was staying with a friend, lugging a HUGE case full of the line.

I must say that I have never been so impressed with the quality of a pair of jeans.... in addition, I was impressed with all of the research that was done to keep the line "in line" with the original Stronghold brand.

I placed a really big order, and decided to carry (at this point) only 2 denim lines. both for women and men, both out of LA and both with a unique backstory. (The other line is Mogg, which I love)

It is true, Michael was the guy who "branded" VonDutch... but we are talking about a time when most people had probably never heard of the brand as a clothes line outside of LA. Before there was a website, and when most of the jeans were really unique and well made. Michael was out of it way before it became a nightmare, and one of the reasons he left was because of the mass marketing changes that made VonDutch about as cool as a Hard Rock Orlando tee shirt. His vision was never to allow what happened, and the Stronghold has been developed in such a way that the past cannot repeat itself.

On his behalf it has taken him a long time to find and develop another brand worth his hard work, and if you knew the attention to detail that goes into the design and manufacture of these jeans, it is no wonder they are so expensive, however Saks has them priced way too high in my opinion.

The Atlanta store who originally hipped me to the line got their order of mens jeans about a month and a half ago, it was a HUGE order, and she has 3 pair left. I was worried about the pricepoint, I admit it..... but I am much more at ease.

All I can say is I learned alot about the jean, and the company as I am banking on the 2 lines I have chosen to hold their own, and figured I could back them up over here since it seems like they were getting a bad rap for the whole VonDutch thing. The Stronghold IS worth a look.

You can put lipstick on a pig, but it is still a pig.

• 7 months later...

Holy shit, this thread is jokes!

I dont know who to trust! I feel like im at a dept store, being told everything I want to hear...

Awesome!

PS. Saw these at Villans Vault in SF and the chick working there told me it was the first denim ever! And she also said that they are made the old way!

I was like "aiiiiight"... but I really like the leather braces that come on that one model. They seem pretty authentic, alot better than anything Levis has out now. Still though, I will not buy them because its not my aesthetic. If I wanted quality repro denim, Id order from a japanese company, just cause I dont want every other kid and his mother in San Fran to be wearing the same jeans as me when they become "it".

• 8 months later...