Imperial Jeans

nairb49

hey all

I'm new to dry salvage denim but I recenly brought a pair of black dukes, and I did size down but they are tight as, like I can hardly bent my knees cause its so tight in the thighs and I can hardly fart coz my cheeks are forces together, I just want to ask is this normal? will it loosening up ? if so how long and to wat degree?

X-Post from WAYWT..

J. Votan from Imperial visits Self Edge today all the way from Australia..

DSC05514-1-758565.jpg

Votan:

-A.T.

-Imperial Kings

-LTB

-Puma

Me:

-Reiz

-Deke Dickerson

-Flat Head Belt

-Iron Heart 634s

-Vans x LS

hey all

I'm new to dry salvage denim but I recenly brought a pair of black dukes, and I did size down but they are tight as, like I can hardly bent my knees cause its so tight in the thighs and I can hardly fart coz my cheeks are forces together, I just want to ask is this normal? will it loosening up ? if so how long and to wat degree?

XFD. You can hardly fart? Yea, I'd get a bigger pair.

I actually sized up on my Dukes and they fit well (besides in the waist, of course). I just wear a belt and they're fine.

There isn't really a wrong way to wear them (minus too big or too small) but did anyone presoak their imperials? I'm doing a little project and mine are about 10 days in w/ pre-soak. I got pretty sharp whiskers up front and crazy combs at the back.

Day 1, after about 15 hours of wear:

S5031508.jpg

Since the picture, the combs have even'd out in height and position.

^ That's interesting... I'm starting to think a pre-soak is not a bad idea. I just washed some indigo Kings for the first time (they're about a year old, but only worn hard for the first half of that period); they've come out well, but with the beginnings of some "cracks" on the honeycombs. The combs have always been quite sharp and defined (as in, I could feel the troughs individually rubbing on my leg sometimes), so I guess the stiff, starchy fabric wore through there. Shame you don't really notice it happening until you go to wash them! I picked some indigo thread out of Imperial offcuts and sewed them up a bit to stop further fraying, although really it's not all that noticeable. If you get these things hemmed, ask for the remnants, and any others that they might have lying around...some guy before me must have had six inches taken off...his ex-cuffs have helped me out. heh.

Anyway...I think maybe a soak might help combat that honeycomb-fraying problem; although it may depend whether it's a thorough soak that removes excess sizing and softens the jeans up or a more superficial one that creases the fabric up more. It'll be interesting to see how they turn out in another six months or so.

^ I'm wearing mine almost every day, putting some pretty decent work. Sitting, at work, bus rides home, etc. The lack of starch will probably help the denim in the long run so I don't get cuts/rips like mondo in his combs. It did shrink a little but it also helped stretch the waist because I could barely button it at first.

Just out of curiousity, does Imperial still make washed denim? I know they did in the past but have never seen them available. I have plenty of raw denim and would love to be able to get some washed Imperial Kings, any input appreciated.

I don't believe they produce them any more.

If you really want a washed pair i have an idea..

Buy a raw pair and wear them every day.. wash them in hot water every four or five days.

you'll have almost the same effect after four to six weeks.

I just wanted to ask, I brought a pair of 30 dukes and they are really tight, the only reason I bought them was cause the guy in the shop said his kings stretch 2"...so I naturally sized down, my question is does the duke and king stretch differently? right now I'm dying here, I dont mind the tight thighs as much as the tight arse...

all help much appericated :)

Well, seeing as how they're made from the same denim I'd say they have the ability to stretch out just as much if not more than 2". It all depends on how you wear them.

Honestly I don't know about these people 'sizing down' for their Imperials. If you're 'sizing down' and can still fit in them you're either a) buying the wrong size or B) ignorant of your real size and think you're 'sizing down.'

Well, seeing as how they're made from the same denim I'd say they have the ability to stretch out just as much if not more than 2". It all depends on how you wear them.

Honestly I don't know about these people 'sizing down' for their Imperials. If you're 'sizing down' and can still fit in them you're either a) buying the wrong size or B) ignorant of your real size and think you're 'sizing down.'

You just said they will stretch out by more than 2" so why cant you understand people sizing down? And I dont think its buying the wrong size if they can fit a sized down pair....

Perhaps its good to understand first of all that everyones built differently and therefore fits and sizes their jeans differently, according to their individual and physical preferences obviously.

Imperials esp the Dukes are known to be tight around the thighs and I think for those who have thick thighs, sizing up is the way to go and they end up with a 'looser' waist. I mean, as long as they're happy but, that IMHO is more of a bad fit and buying the wrong jeans. Should just forget about imperials altogether and get something else.

^ If he's referring to the thighs, just go for kings? I believe they're wider. Not 100% sure.

I had to ride my dukes super high to button them up and now they fit comfortably around my lower waist (I tend to low-ride an inch or two) without falling off. They've stretched perfectly and I sized down to start with. Usually a 31 and got a pair of 30's. I could've even done 29's, I'm sure. It only took me 3-4 wears. Also note that I presoaked my dukes due to the project I'm doing.

If you want to stretch out the ass portion of your jeans, try wearing something a little heavier in your back pockets and walking around in them for a day or so. Worked with both of my pairs. Thicker wallets, cellphone, etc.

Sorry, I forgot about the sufu fit and general size of users here.

You just said they will stretch out by more than 2" so why cant you understand people sizing down? And I dont think its buying the wrong size if they can fit a sized down pair....

Perhaps its good to understand first of all that everyones built differently and therefore fits and sizes their jeans differently, according to their individual and physical preferences obviously.

Imperials esp the Dukes are known to be tight around the thighs and I think for those who have thick thighs, sizing up is the way to go and they end up with a 'looser' waist. I mean, as long as they're happy but, that IMHO is more of a bad fit and buying the wrong jeans. Should just forget about imperials altogether and get something else.