World of denim shops

fistoffury

Ironically, though, I think there used to more shops in London carrying selvage denim five years ago than there are now. There used to be Michiko Koshino, Designworks, Duffer of St George, Oki-ni Saville Row, Edwin Neal St --- now these are all gone. Liberty back in 2002 was actually carrying Denime, Sugarcane, and others, but now has a very indifferent line, maybe just APC and PRPS. Kinda sad.

However, there is still is Cinch, Interstate, American Classics, HD Lee, Evisu Saville Row, etc.

Yes - extremely annoying.

Jones in Covent Garden used to have a decent range too. Remember picking up a pair of Denime back in 2000ish, but was a bit of an unsanforized denim n00b then and shrank them to the point of unwearable. Dick.

Couple of places that you didn't mention...

Present - Shoreditch High Street - do Studio D'Artisan

Butcher Of Distinction off Brick Lane also do Studio D'Artisan and Sugarcane but they're about to shut down, sadly.

Liberty are useless now - Nudie, APC and Levis.

Has to be a matter of time before somewhere starts selling Samurai. There is a wealth of hipsters with more money than sense in this town.

American Classics probably has the best selection (that I know of) but their prices are crazy. Cheap to buy online.

Situation ain't great for Japanese import denim in London for definite. But I reckon its on the up, mainly driven by fixie-riding hipsters in the 'Ditch. So you can add Son of Stag and the Three Threads to Present in E2.

There's a new Wrangler Blue Bell store on Lambs Conduit Street too. And the Garbstore on Kensington Park Road should get a mention.

But if its good denim rather than just Japanese we can add Albam. Now shops in Shoreditch and Soho.

Definitely agree that Liberty is useless. A truly awful selection. Their previous buyer must've been a visionary because he left them with a selection of brilliant workwear which they literally gave away in sales. Yet all the new collections they're getting in are workwear inspired.

Outside of London there's the ubiquitous Oi Polloi in Manchester still bringing in some good stuff.

As promised a few days before,here is my "little" feature of Riders Room Hamburg.Lets start with some pics:

4025375363_a7dab2790b.jpg

4026128336_33e00f3c6f.jpg

4025376311_375524c5f0.jpg

The shop was started in 1995 afte by owner Sven Eden,an absolutely dedicated character of what he is doing: selling quality stuff like boots,jackets,denims,shirts,helmets,gloves - the list goes on and on.

lets walk inside:

4026134280_8960e88539.jpg

the owner:

4025379501_918d0d3d11.jpg

4025384743_ba7ab20176.jpg

4026133480_db7f3751ac.jpg

4025388497_a8376cb87d.jpg

4026129788_d1eca7af54.jpg

4026138718_44dff2b749.jpg

I tried to get most stuff on the pics but thats impossible,cause the shop itself is very small,well at least too small for whats all in there,some stuff is hidden away by other items.I moved a huge staple of LEEs to the side to find boxes of LVC woolshirts.for me its like a gold mine,dig deeper and you will find some gems.Owner Sven is very helpful and doesnt forces anybody to do a decision on buying,and if you are nice enough he will get you a fresh coffee or softdrink from the little cafe next door.both of my recent visits lasts several hours,if he isnt busy serving customers he will talk you into boots and flightjackets ect.his knowledge is awesome,he told me about a visit to the Redwing factory,his relationship to Rin Tanaka,of whom he got ALL books signed by himself.Anyway,above pics are the last of the old shop,as the 100years or so old building gets a complete renovation.Sven will move his shop for one year into a substitute premise in spittingdistance to were its now and than moving back into a bigger and better location.All the stuff he is selling will be available during this time.if you have any questions,give him a call or send an email.

Riders Room

Thadenstrasse 4

22767 Hamburg

http://www.ridersroom.de

And last the brands: Aeroleather,Blundstone,DavidaHelmets,Dickies,Edwin JP, Filson,Fred Perry,Gerald&Stewart ( lovely peacoats),LEE JP,LVC,Pikebrothers,

Redwing ( incl. Belts,Socks,careproducts ),Stetson Hats&Hatteras,Vanson Leathers.

I bet I forgot something,but thats all for now.

I am not related to this shop but I love what he is doing and how its done.

This man gets my full support.

here is an update on two berlin mitte shops:

burg & schild will stock "the flat head" products and the new "mister freedom" collection this winter.

dc4 will stock "iron heart" products soon.

see also my post on the new red wing berlin store (only boots - obviously):

http://www.superfuture.com/supertalk/showpost.php?p=2013038&postcount=13815

Butcher Of Distinction off Brick Lane also do Studio D'Artisan and Sugarcane but they're about to shut down, sadly.

no way when did you hear about them shutting down? Thats sad they stock some really nice stuff and the guys who work their, especially the manager/owner (?), really nice and really knowledgeable. I'll miss that place.

Also, I was going to suggest that we make our own google earth 'worldwide denim map' thingy?? Everyone could contribute adding more and more places to it. I've added most of the shops mentioned on page 1 of the thread just as an example - download the google earth file i've uploaded below and update it with shops, placed in the right 'country' folder (or make a new country folder), for each shop put some basic info in e.g. address, brands etc, then upload your updated version back onto the thread for people to use.

If a few people help out on it we could have an easy to use world map of good denim shops. I'll put a few more in this weekend.

here's the link for the file:- http://www.megaupload.com/?d=IHC1O4R5

example of some of the shops I put on;

4032515625_ba17b2ab4e_o.jpg

no way when did you hear about them shutting down? Thats sad they stock some really nice stuff and the guys who work their, especially the manager/owner (?), really nice and really knowledgeable. I'll miss that place.

Just when I walked past and saw that they had a clearance sale on. A real shame. Glorias (the sneaker shop a few doors down) has gone too.

American Classics probably has the best selection (that I know of) but their prices are crazy. Cheap to buy online.

Agree with you about that. Also, I get the feeling the geezers in there could just as easily be selling apples, or copier paper. Maybe I'm being unfair...

I don't get over to E2 much -- since I have a bicycle with gears and don't wear my plaid shirts two sizes too small, they don't let me down there.

So many of the shops seem to carry a similar line (SDA, Sugarcane, Edwin/Lee/Wrangler) -- I keep hoping someone will add some completely new brands to the mix.

• 4 weeks later...

Son of a Stag is on Drapers Walk, Truman Brewery, Brick Lane; carries a decent range including Lee, Levi's etc - they now have a Union Special chainstich machine so can alter the length of your jeans and keep the right style of hem.

SonofaStag.jpg

Unionspecial.jpg

Union Special at Son of a Tag. Check out The Clerk, too, for more chainstitch tomfoolery

Butchers of Distinction has indeed closed down.

Beyond Retro on Cheshire St, just off Brick Lane, sells vintage stuff. You will pretty much always find Big E and Stormrider jackets, with occasional choice 50s items, hats, old Converse, you name it.

Beyondretro.jpg

Present has just opened at 140 Shoreditch High St; expensive, but they sell great stuff including Studio D'Artisan, Trickers, and some lovely oiled Parkas from Millerain.

present.jpg

You can drop on Brick Lane, take in the market, all the above shops, the overpriced market in Spitalfields, Columbia Rd on a Sunday and finish up here for an espresso. The Barista - Gwilym Davies - is the current world champion.

trickers.jpgMillerainparka.jpg

awardwinningcoffee.jpg

Spitalfields market

Personally, I would rather shop in Spitalfields market than pay retail at some of the bigger stores. THursday is the best day - lots of vintage clothes, as well as bric a brac and antiques. (some of the same stallholders will do Portobello on a Friday).

spitalfields.jpg

For denim freaks, david White's Ragtop stall (at the front, on the left) is a must-see. Items are reasonable prices - not a bargain, but not inflated like, say, The Vintage Showroom.

davidwhite.jpg

Dover St market is worth a look; mostly overpriced fashion brands, but I did see some nice Chambray shirts in there last time I went.

You should also check out Cinch on Newburgh St for the full range of LVC; this is one of Levi's few remaining boutique stores, along with Buttenheim in Berlin. Althoug their LVC is £20 or so more expensive onan online, you get to try them on first; they have reasonably regular sales and if you're a regular they will look out old items - they found me some old Valencia St 201s, and I've had other choice sale itmes from them.

Don't forget the Lee store nearby on Carnaby St; they have the Edwin-made vintage range downstairs (again overpriced I'm afraid, but you can try them on before buying via Rakuten).

There's also Meet Bernard, for Nudies, Edwin at College Approach in Greenwich, SE10. Look out for T-shirt stall in Greenwich market run by www.departmentofworks.com - Cary, aka The Clerk, also has a vintage Union Special and offers a chainstitch service. Nearby, on Creek Road, is the Emporium - their stock is mostly vintage, but they usually have a good range of vintage reissue Lee and Blue Bell/Wrangler.

The Vintage Showroom, 14 Earlham Street, Seven Dials

A nice store, with a good selection roughly similar to David White's. The first couple of times I've been in they've been friendly, but recently I've found them irritating, far too irritating for me to want to buy a Tootal scarf for £60. I imagine the hefty rates here contribute to the high prices, but they don't excuse the bad attitude. This Belstaff Sammy Miller, on the right, is from the 60s, £500.

belstaff.jpg

American Classics on Endell St in Covent Garden is the grandaddy of denim in London, and has carried LVC, Lee and others for at least perhaps a couple of decades.

AmericanClassicsexterior.jpg

AmericanClassicsinterior.jpg

American Classics

20 Endell Street

London, WC2H 9BD

020 7831 1210

The shop has a great range including LVC, Lee, SDA and Sugar Cane, plus jackets by Filson, Belstaff and others. The quality of stock has gone up and down over the years, as has the service, but at the moment it looks impressive. Cav, a tallish guy, shaven-headed, knows what he's talking about.

I have also been a customer of Interstate, opposite, for many years. They used to do Euro Vintage Lee at bargain prices; now Lee's range is dull, but they still stock Edwin and a lot of Cahartt plus other workwear-related stuff.

Interstate.jpg

Interstate

17 Endell Street

London WC2H 9BJ

020 7836 0421

Selfridges must have changed their buyer; their range is pitiful these days. I will update, add phone mumbers and more photos later.

FInally, Liberty has opened a new denim department (March 2011).

The assistant, who was reasonably helpful, told me this was "the first department working with heritage clothing in London."

This, the basement section, has always been a bit olde-worlde. And there is of course an irony implicit in a swanky department store hosting such blue-collar clothing, with fake wear, augmented with expensive working men's ephemera.

Still, an attractive RRL department. As ever, their washes are very impressive.

RRLfirst.jpg

RRL1.jpg

RRLjacket.jpg

RRL2.jpg

And a good range of LVC, too, altho based mostly around the Rough Rinse, without all of the good new flannels and duck items.

LVC.jpg

They also stock JEan Shop, a fair amount of SDA (103XX, Chore jacket, sweartshirts), PRPS and Edwin.

Hideout, Portobello Road

Going further west to tourist country we have Hideout at 293 Portobello Road. Friendly staff, a good range of LVC dry, plus some Aero I believe. Here's their website.

hideout.jpg

hideout2.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

As some of you already know I work at a shop called C here in Stockholm. we aren't exactly a denim-only shop, but we currently stock Works Inc. (Iron Heart & Triple Works that is), LVC, Denim Demon & Indigofera Prima Jeans and we just placed an order with The Flat Head for S/S 2010...

learn more here http://cstoreconcept.blogspot.com/

so we finally have one cool shop in vienna, europe its called E35. they have a second shop in modena italy. it opend couple of days ago and i just found out yesterday about it.

they stock filson, nigel cabourn, red wings, aeroleather clothing, dukes belts and studio d´artisan. the owner told me they are going to get LVC,edwin and Stronghold next year. so sounds all very nice. the prizes are very fair. so if anyone is in vienna thats a good place to stop by.

since their hompage is still under construction, here some pics i found on the red wing blog

http://redwing1905.blogspot.com/2009/11/e-35-vienny-schottengasse-35-good-red.html

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

unfortunately not. did a little to our "Hauptstadt" last september and checked nearly all the denim shops.

both prices are too high for a SD-203 but at least you can check the fit. and yeah...they have to charge it for all the import-taxes and shit.

you should look into akeef and check if they've got some of the No.1 or No.0 denim there

so we finally have one cool shop in vienna, europe its called E35. they have a second shop in modena italy. it opend couple of days ago and i just found out yesterday about it.

they stock filson, nigel cabourn, red wings, aeroleather clothing, dukes belts and studio d´artisan. the owner told me they are going to get LVC,edwin and Stronghold next year. so sounds all very nice. the prizes are very fair. so if anyone is in vienna thats a good place to stop by.

since their hompage is still under construction, here some pics i found on the red wing blog

http://redwing1905.blogspot.com/2009/11/e-35-vienny-schottengasse-35-good-red.html

do you have some info on where in Modena they are?

I might wanna visit...

dc4 berlin now stocks:

- iron heart

- the flat head

- pure blue japan

and they added an online shop as well

http://www.dc4.de/

they just got a restock of pbj xx-005, xx-005bk and xx-008.

i bought a pair of xx-005, will post pics later. currently soaking.

price tag: 229€

daniel said, that there will be also a restock of xx-007s soonish.

they will also get the joe mccoys 906 in a few days.

• 3 weeks later...