DIY/professional washing and hand aging your jeans

Charlie Delta

Wabi sabi hombrecitos..

I like the mix of japanese and spanish.

The chevron is the whisker that cones from your thighs and goes down your leg. I don't know what you call them here.

A few posts back you were talking shit about denim lingo, now your creating your own. Sir, chevrons are for the military

Now youre just pissing me off, honeycombs are for bee's! Back knee whiskers are for jeans. Yes maybe im being trivial with the choice of lingo, but everyone here is so oppinionated, and most have absoultely no credibility, or even any knowledge of denim. Lets compare some truely worn in jeans, not ones you guys wore for 12 days but ones worn for years. "Bath tub soak this, honeycomb that, left hand twill, right hand twill"... Right hand twill my balls!!!!

Washboy, I think your efforts look pretty good - aside from as already mentioned some of the rips on the thighs, that's the kind of thing I see at TopShop.

For me and many others here it sort of misses the point. As Opie and others have said, it's wabi sabi, it's the journey dude, it's how each day your denim changes and ages with you. I guess you know this as you say you wear raw most of the week. I say keep with the updates, don't rise to the haters but expect a lot of disagreement.

And in a couple of years when you've worn in your raw denim then post side-by-side with your artificial wear, will be fascinating.

did you plan your wash according to the natural creases that your legs created wearing the denim raw or did you just sandpaper/resin the areas you thought would create the most natural look?

edit: just wanted to mention that i only clicked this thread cause i thought i read the thread title saying "DIY/professional wrestling thread"

I guess i am contridicting myself with the "lingo," but also, one is lingo, one is an actual term used in the clothing industry.

Also it was asked if those are natural whiskers... the answer is no, if you go back to the first page i talked about making the whiskers on a machine....

But, i am putting my levis on hold after i sprayed potassium again and bleached them down a little more, Instead i will be posting a job i am doing for a friend on some rag and bones. As per superfutures request i dipped them in resin and asked him to wear them wet to create his own natural whisker patern, I hope you guys like this one more....

1251407352.jpg

1251407316.jpg

1251407377.jpg

1251407390.jpg

The resin i mentioned in the begining is a carcinogen, which means it causes cancer, but youd have to take a bath in it for it to harm you.
As per superfutures request i dipped them in resin and asked him to wear them wet to create his own natural whisker patern, I hope you guys like this one more....

Getting cancer naturally is lazy, I prefer my body predistressed.

No hate or anything but I noticed that you call your work art. Since you call your work art, you should know that art is subjective and that not everyone will like it. So seriously, if you don't like what someone posts, just suck it up and keep doing what you're doing.

I think these will probably turn out a bit more natural looking. Did you inform your buddy that he was soaking in a carcinogen? Anyways, no pain no gain.

I think these will probably turn out a bit more natural looking. Did you inform your buddy that he was soaking in a carcinogen? Anyways, no pain no gain.

He mentioned that it was a carcinogen a few pages back.

Not knocking you at all, but you just dont have goals when it comes to your jeans and that IS the difference. Something I was taught to look for in a true vintage jean is the contrast. To me, someone who wore their jeans for years without ever washing would have the best contrast, which is what I like. Again not knocking anyone, just stating my opinion.

lolwüt

It's a fucking pair of jeans, you idiots.

Then again this is superfuture i guess. We're the rich version of D&D players arguing over if their druid could cast +20 defense and kill a troll.

washboy's stuff is, to me, initially stupid, but upon further reflection, kind of cool that he's going against the grain and just doing his thang. g'luck wb.

lolwüt

It's a fucking pair of jeans, you idiots.

Then again this is superfuture i guess. We're the rich version of D&D players arguing over if their druid could cast +20 defense and kill a troll.

washboy's stuff is, to me, initially stupid, but upon further reflection, kind of cool that he's going against the grain and just doing his thang. g'luck wb.

going against the going against the grain= going with the grain

I really do not know why people need to attack someone who is only sharing something he is passionate about. It is also nice that most appreciate what Washboy is doing.

Criticism is needed to purify your eyes. When people take cheap shots about something they know absolutely nothing about is deplorable. It is as if they where in some political forum.

My advice to those who are taking the cheap shots, change threads. If Washboy sounds defensive, he has every right.

Showing off predistress work of questionable quality in your offtime while working on shitty washes for a "major denim label" is now going against the grain.

A true pioneer, indeed.

you need to understand the garment business before you make comments like this. You do not have a clue about it!

DenimDave, are you washboy87, or affiliated with washboy87???

As large as the denim market is, it is actually quite small. Yes I know Washboy, we are in the same market. I have not talked to him for a while until I was told about what he was doing. I spoke to him and complimented his work. You all really need to take a 400 grit sandpaper and try it yourselves. Maybe you will appreciate what we do.

interesting thread. I love denim, love the concept of wabi sabi, love denim unwashed and love seeing it change over time.

But what I do for living is wash developments for many brands, and most of what I have to do to serve the commercial market I would never wear myself.

From a professional point of view, washboy's wash is not bad at all, and it is NOT easy to achieve a natural look. Also it is an ART, whether you like the concept or not.

Who washes denim for a living usually has knowledge about denim that most members on this forum do not have. Altering the look of hundreds if thousands of different denims, you get to appreciate the material you are working with.

WASHBOY, thanks for the post. Wonder though if you really applied ozone??

Hey,

Just wanted to say yes, i did apply ozone. At our laundry we have an ozone generator hooked up to one of the washing machines. ozone basically kills things, which is why it brightens up the pant. The best example would be making a wash with rips. After creating the holes and washing, the fill yarn turns blue, a few minutes in ozone would cure that. Anyway, just wondering, what would make question that?

predistressing is retarded, and it will NEVER look truly natural.dude will break his balls trying to even nearly replicate the grail-fade on those BiG 660s a few pages back. why? cause a natural fade is the cumulative by-product of gradual, consistent wear and tear, and it CANNOT be copied by ARTIFICIAL means. the 'high-contrast'' fade is probably easier to copy than a ''vintage-style'' fade, esp. if you start of with a raw jean. this thread just makes me appreciate my natural wear more. sandpaper and jeans don't mix, unless you skate and you are taking a break sitting down on the grip tape...wabi-sabi or bust bitches! wash and wear for easy care! i personally want to see some raws that wash-guy broke in himself(naturally).

This thread would be alot better if people who didn't like what he was doing either shut the fuck up or not post long ass paragraphs that everyone is just scrolling over anyway as to why they don't like what he's doing.

WHO GIVES A SHIT.

It's an interesting post. thats what this forum is for, reading interesting shit.

everyone's opinion/perspective is subject to dissagreement and/or ridicule, especially under the guise of ambiguity. its a free land, say what the fuck you want, pretty much when you want. everybody agreeing all the time/kissing ass isn't very 'interestiing' either. i'll say' word' to that!

The thread also reads "professional washing and hand aging your jeans".

I think if we keep this thread alive, hundreds or thousands will learn a small part of a billion dollar industry versus a few chumps who feel they will loose there thunder about how much they think they know. I personally do not give a rats ass how popular you are in these forums.

wow, i didn't know i was popular. makes me feel like a nerd that just walked-onto the football team,now i'm starting QB...who knew?!?i thought you all liked abrasives? the $$$ justifies nothing, selling crack is a multi-billion dollar industry. let me leave you all to your bleach and dremmel, before i get the sage rosenfels treatment...

I think it's fine that washboy shows the pre-distressing process. It's an extremely large part of the denim industry's business, and I think people should take it as insight into how it's done. I also think "DenimDave" should fuck off, as he's not adding anything informative or important to the discussion. I think it should be noted that people who enjoy the raw/dry denim concept maybe just aren't as into having Malaysian children sand their jeans for them. I don't see why this is so serious, or why there are challenges to see who's jeans look more authentic, fake distressing or real (which is an extremely silly concept for a "challenge" anyways)...