2009 Fullcount Contest thread

The time has come to choose...  

133 members have voted

1. 1. The time has come to choose...

• Sugar Cane 1947
    • Sugar Cane 1945
    • Fullcount 0105
    • Studio D'Artisan 101

Bucklebacks are something that has been interesting me lately too. I wouldn't mind doing the contest with the edo ai sugarcane bucklebacks with the ide pocket but I don't think that would be a popular choice.

If a Leepro ends up being chosen I may well be in for that, but be aware that the SC1945 are not the 50/50 denim as far as I know.

• Replies 938
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

plongin and I will be working on a pair of jeans that can be used for the Levi's portion of this contest. If there is a specific pair of jeans you would like to mimic list it here so we can base the cut off of something.

I'd like for mr. invincible to try his hand at arcs and tags since I liked what he came up with for the dry bones contest even if people were hating.

I don't know if plongin has a name for his jean project so maybe we could all collectively come up with one for this contest. Post any suggestions in here if you have them and plongin or I will post the specifics as we get them.

This is not meant as a slur in anyway, but what are the specifics of Thai selvedge denim? Do we have any impression of how it fades. Do we know the details of the cotton, how it's woven and dyed, like we do with several of the Japanese denims?

I have no experience with this and would be rather skeptical of it. I certainly wouldn't be in favour of choosing it over something like the sugar cane 50'50, samurai, oni or any of the beautiful Japanese fabrics.

By all means prove me wrong and convert me!

^ thanks Denim Phenom LOl i don't think there's any hate, just a lot of people preferred jimmyc's designs. It happens and I get use to it.

what do you guys have in mind? I have never heard of Plongin jean company and i would like to SEE what he can offer? like quality and examples and pieces if you don't mind, plongin

^ i am kind of the same boat as Fre$co. I would like to see something because at all this point, we are all into japanese denim. I have never seen or experienced how Thai denim fadezzzorzzzzzzz.

but i can do mock ups as soon as i see the jean and the company backgrounds

Im pretty sure that this will be the first jean plongin will be creating. He mentioned a few pages back that he was interested in making a jean and that if we'll have him, he'll make a jean for us at a relatively low price. If we aren't comfortable with him using Thai denim, which would be cheaper in the long run, we could ask for something like Cone Mills or another company that has more history.

In the mean time I'll try and find some Thai fadezors.

Oh, Mr. Invincible, your arcs were much better than jimmy's. Yours weren't totally wacked out and true religiony.

Im pretty sure that this will be the first jean plongin will be creating. He mentioned a few pages back that he was interested in making a jean and that if we'll have him, he'll make a jean for us at a relatively low price. If we aren't comfortable with him using Thai denim, which would be cheaper in the long run, we could ask for something like Cone Mills or another company that has more history.

In the mean time I'll try and find some Thai fadezors.

Oh, Mr. Invincible, your arcs were much better than jimmy's. Yours weren't totally wacked out and true religiony.

Couldn't agree more on the part about the arcs :(

Sad that we are a minority.. like i have a real problem, hah!

Your patches were better too.

thanks for the kind words. Don't get me wrong, jimmyc did a good job on the patch, but i am not sure if it will fit for that particular company. Like I can see that patch on a pair of...Flat heads or Imperials or something and so when I was designing, I wanted to design as close to what Dry Bones would wanted to see on their jeans. haha the more i look at my own, it looks like a samurai patch or something so I can't say much myself. But it's all good in the hood, i have stopped designing for their contest because they were set on Jimmyc's and I don't have any plans on doing the contest if they were to use dry bones.

no hate, just preferences. i'll see what i can do with the mock ups. is chicken in this too? he did the dirty dozen one and that was a pretty rad idea

sup,to those who want to know, yeah its my first forray into trying to produce a line of denim ( catalyst denim: a singaporean based project- im working with a few sufu members on this, as well as consultation from tweeds), and im thinking of using thai denim because I personally like the way it fades.I had plans to do two cuts, a slimmer straight fit (benchmark: prob along the lines of the skull 5010s), and a regular fit. and since this idea of a contest came up, I figure that if you couldnt find something that all of you actually like, I could work with you guys.For those of you who are concerned with the quality and fading of thai denim, please check out this thread:http://www.superfuture.com/supertalk/showthread.php?t=28433&page=2Some pics on the fading:http://farm1.static.flickr.com/129/376726746_542ca9e682.jpgalot of the pics got removed unfortunately.But hey, its just a suggestion to help you guys move along if y'all stuck on picking the right pair for the contest. Im down for the contest as well, so whatever you guys pick, i'm down for that!

man...since we cant seem to decide on a pair of jeans, i think we should go with plongins idea.

pros -

exact measurements to what we would want

customizations(tag, backpocket, etc.)

something Very new, not some already established like SC

CHEAP

help out a sufu member

cons -

no one has actually worn thai selvedge denim..possibility of bad fades?..

production time?

i think our jeans should be roomier in the theigh area and taper from the knee down. Im thinking like maybe the fit of TODAY'S 501's?? then yall that want something slimmer(which just contradicts the whole principle of this contest)...yall can size down.

expensive

still reading

i googled some image of thai fakes. they seem not too shabby, just want to see how they compare with japanese,italian, or whatever else denim. some say they compare well with APC and Nudies. Do these fade like 2-3 weeks or something? looking at the levis/evisu, they have this really dark color. I just don't want these to bleed out in like a month or something lol.

i still don't know. Plongin any samples up? would like to see what you got in store

i think using the Thai denim is a fantastic idea. it's cheap, it would be completely customizable, and it does fade really beautifully for the price (from what i've seen). It would probably still boil down to Levis vs Lee... how about Wrangler? In the vein of the Evisu brown box... I think painted arcs would be better than stitched, if possible.

If we go the Thai route, I'd definitely be in.

I'd prefer thai denim over cone.

Can you qualify that statement? I'm just wondering why you would prefer thai denim over Cone Mills denim that's been used in many quality lines and is carefully quality-controlled since its inception. Or is it simply because Cone is more expensive?

Coming from HJJ I'm now more comfortable with using Thai denim.

I received an e-mail from Gordon in regards to the contest. He asked me what kind of cut we were looking for, any other customizing details, and about how many people to expect taking part. I told him a '47 cut, custom patch, arcs/tab if we can, 36"+ inseam, and denim heavier than 13oz.

He's going to take that information and approach the other companies he works with and see who might be interested.

plongin, I don't want you to think that i'm going around your back. I'm just looking at all options to see what will work best for the group as a whole.