supermeatheads

kunk75

the chalk should help you get a better grip on the bar. i started using it when i noticed my hands getting a bit sweaty back when i first started pulling 3 plates. if you're looking to develop grip strength there are other ways, but i barely do any grip work outside of holding the last rep of my last deadlift set for at least 20 seconds at the top. i've noticed my forearms have gotten a bit thicker from db hammer curls, though.

as for calluses, i hold the bar close to my fingers and they mainly form around my ring and middle fingers. i highly recommend getting a pumice stone to smooth the calluses out instead of ripping/peeling them off which can result in bleeding. they're not much of a problem after doing that for awhile.

Developing a little callous is okay, but daphne's right, you don't want it all big and hard. I'd had them rip off and it hurts like hell.

I never used to hook grip on DL. Sometimes I do now, sometimes I don't. Also I haven't done grip strength work even though I've had trouble w/ it. I think that just gets better over time.

Ever try using straps? not the kind you wrap around the bar, but these from Inzer: http://www.inzernet.com/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=WRAPS_IRON_WRISTZ

I know Knucks doesn't use them, but they're helpful.

my hands been starting to give out and slip during my back days especially towards the end, but it might be due to old gloves + sweat. i was considering buying a new pair, but i might end up getting chalk (power/liquid) or some big back grips

plate pinches are the only thing i know to increase grip strength, any other exercises?

never tried straps. i technically have a 'broken wrist' and i'm afraid straps will put too much strain on it.

you normally wear gloves for lifting? i believe they hinder grip strength development. i've never worn them. i think farmer's walks and static holds with a towel wrapped around the bar are good for grip work. invest in wrist wraps for some support.

anyone use straps for barbell rows? i'm thinking of getting a pair just for that.

on the subject of gripping anyone of you guys use

captains of crush grippers?

after having the #1 for the longest time i was only able to close it with my right hand only and would feel pain in my wrist trying to close it with my left

just recently i was finally able to close it with my left and have been slowly progressing.

i have a 1.5 CoC. some days i can fully close it, most days i can't. after you get used to being able to close it, i hear the next step is to do lateral raises/front raises/curls while closing and fully opening them as fast as you can. basically being able to close the gripper while not being static. i've read that people do sprints while closing them. i'd be happy if i can completely close a #3 one day.

i've lifted with gloves ever since i started, mainly becuase i didn't want calluses. but now i don't care and i kinda see gloves as hindering my development.

do you use an alternating grip for barbell rows?

anyone here own a dipping belt/recommend one? i've been reading reviews for this one, but a lotta people say the chain is too short.

i have a 1.5 CoC. some days i can fully close it, most days i can't. after you get used to being able to close it, i hear the next step is to do lateral raises/front raises/curls while closing and fully opening them as fast as you can. basically being able to close the gripper while not being static. i've read that people do sprints while closing them. i'd be happy if i can completely close a #3 one day.

i've lifted with gloves ever since i started, mainly becuase i didn't want calluses. but now i don't care and i kinda see gloves as hindering my development.

do you use an alternating grip for barbell rows?

anyone here own a dipping belt/recommend one? i've been reading reviews for this one, but a lotta people say the chain is too short.

Please don't ?

does the bar have to be in constant contact with the shins/knees/thigh while doing the dl?

i did my first dl's today and when lowering the bar banged my left knee a couple of times. started off with small weights, stopped at 70 kg cause i was starting to get some pulling on my lower back.

i don't think the bar should be in contact with your legs, you'll start to scrape your knees once the weight gets higher (not fun).

keeping my head up, chest out helps me straighten my back

I think a little of it depends on your stance. When I pull Sumo, the bar's against my legs the entire time (resulting in burn). If you pull conventional, you could thinking about keeping the bar over the middle of your foot.

damn my shins are fucked up from deadlifts. should I just wear long pants/socks? I think my form is ok but I have longish arms and legs if that makes a difference
pants/tall socks should be enough.

i say find videos of great pullers and notice their bar path then see how it works for ya

You get used to pulling that way, the forces are different on your body. There's no way in hell that with one hand underhand and the other over, the muscles are being worked the same.

There are other things that happen to. For instance, the underhand is more prone to a bicep tear.

For me, I always pulled right under, left over. My right side (erectors and all) are significantly more developed than my left. My lats are also different.

FWIW, I have all together stopped deadlifting, but for other reasons.

Yeah, could be you just have that salad bowl chest.

It's not the "be all, end all," but how much do you weigh, and how much can you bench? I imagine that if you were to focus on a strong chest overall (and not specifically inner pecs), it may fill out.

especially for my flat bb bench. I have a powerlifting style bench where I tuck my elbows as much as I can and the suicide grip helps me tuck more than thumbs over

Maybe this was something that just I wasn't in on, but I gave this a shot and it helped my form considerably. Cheers.

Yeah, could be you just have that salad bowl chest.

It's not the "be all, end all," but how much do you weigh, and how much can you bench? I imagine that if you were to focus on a strong chest overall (and not specifically inner pecs), it may fill out.

I weight 76kg and 183cm. I don't bench as much i do flat db press since get shoulder pain doing bench. Right now im doing 32kg x 6 reps for my last set on flat DB press.

I have been working out for 1 year now, So i guess it will take a few more years to develop a fuller chest.

LOL I LOVE reading shit like this. "I don't bench as much as I do flat DB press since I get shoulder pain doing bench"

Hm, lets see, very similar movement - oh well you know, let's continue til my shoulders are all fucked.

Fuck

Knucks mate, maybe you'd like to offer some constructive criticism instead of kicking sand in everyone's faces?

but.. but... this is superfuture... (5) lol

aside from knuck's tone, he's completely right. if a movement caused you injury, keep doing something very similar?

the way I see it, most of the time people hurt themselves when they keep hitting the same part way too much. the shoulders are the most prominent when it comes to injured areas due to lifting.

it's mostly because a lot of guys have a chest day of a shitload of chest movements - like 3 sets of 8 for bench, then 3 sets of 10 for another bench movement, then a few more sets of another, then flies or pec decs. and even after that front delt onslaught, guys insist that later in the week, they have a whole other session for SHOULDERS!?!

quit it before you hurt yourselves people. I, like many others, did that and ran into a bunch of problems and wish I had someone to tell me otherwise earlier in my lifting.

I think knucks is just a bit harsh sometimes because some guy's are just thickheaded and don't listen or need someone to tell them over and over again. I feel the same too.. as much as I love to help some guys, if someone doesn't want to listen to me or need constant reasons and explanations why this is good and that is bad, that's fine but I don't want to be another baby sister - I don't want to waste me time nor anyone else's.

many times it's just good to read and then go search and research other views too, and then come to your own conclusion.