supermeatheads

kunk75

Bar's pretty tough. you've got to pull really hard.

On rings, I think the best progression is to do them where your feet are on the ground and you can get the body motion down.

After a while you'll be able to time it easily.

Runners question:

I normally log around 3-4 miles per session, 4-5 times a week for my cardio. Due to work, I tried doing 6am runs to fit in my schedule. However, within the past week, i cant go beyond the 2 mile mark w/o feeling all jelly legged.

I attempted my usual run yesterday evening and felt perfectly fine. So whats the issue? Not ebough fuel in the mornings? (i always run on an empty stomach for my 6am runs) My runs are mostly 70% full speed on undulating terrain to maintain and improve my breakaway speed and stamina for soccer/basketball

Fuel is definitely going to be an issue. I run between 10-13 km 3 times a week, and while I notice that I can do it on less fuel than lifting, the idea of doing that on an empty stomach (especially if you're a coffee drinker) makes me wither.

You may just be a bit burnt out. It sounds like you're logging in decent miles, especially if you're working out on top of that. Try alternating your days, changing up when you take a rest day, changing your route, simple shit like that can be good for getting out of a rut.

how many pullups/dips do i need to be able to do before i can conquer the muscle up?

I don't think it's a really big number.

I'd say get in the "teens" for both of them. If your'e doing strict pullups (which isn't totally necessary), shoot for 15+. Also, try to learn how to kip, which is kind of how a gymnast would do a body english pullup. You get a lot more drive from the hips.

For dips, if you can do 20 body weight dips, you should be fine.

MU's are weird because you need a lot of back strength to do your first one. But as you get good (imo) the tri's are the first to stop you from doing them consecutively.

I think it's best to learn on rings first. That'll teach you how to move your body. Here's a tutorial video. Use that false grip.

http://www.againfaster.com/the-micd-instructor/2011/3/15/from-the-vault-achieving-the-muscle-up.html

tried it with overhead press today and it was a lot easier to tuck my elbows in. feels good man.

mmm hell yeah. I think the only press movement I do with the thumb over is seated db shoulder presses.. which I do once in a blue moon.

side note - used some hammer strength equipment this week.. finally, after 1.5yrs without having access to them. thank you, america.

mmm hell yeah. I think the only press movement I do with the thumb over is seated db shoulder presses.. which I do once in a blue moon.

side note - used some hammer strength equipment this week.. finally, after 1.5yrs without having access to them. thank you, america.

Bench as well?

Nice. I used to work for Brunswick, the parent company.

Some stuff is cool and functional, some is really stupid.

agreed..

one of those stupid things because the plated-loaded shrug machine.. I mean, really guys, a machine JUST for shrugs?

agreed..

one of those stupid things because the plated-loaded shrug machine.. I mean, really guys, a machine JUST for shrugs?

hahaha. That was exactly what I was thinking of when I was typing it. Those thing cost upward of a grand, too. It's supposed to be a different way to deadlift. And by different, I mean stupid.

hahaha. That was exactly what I was thinking of when I was typing it. Those thing cost upward of a grand, too. It's supposed to be a different way to deadlift. And by different, I mean stupid.

If this is what I'm picturing, its terrible. A gym I used to work at had one, its senseless to use instead of a deadlift, it used my quads a lot more than back, at least for loads as heavy as I would usually deadlift with. I can't believe it costs over a grand, you could just buy how many barbells with that?

Always been working out, about two years ago I got really into power lifting and adding muscle mass. Made some good gains for a while, then I got a bit lax over the winter with my diet and training and lost a lot of strengh, trying to get it back up now. (topped out at bp 265x2, dl 345x4, s 305x6) Not huge numbers by any means, I'm tall (6'4"), and naturally slender, so bulking up has always been a problem. Its like if don't eat constantly I'll start losing muscle mass no problem, unfortunately.

My last bests are:

Bench - 205 x 6 (Well, 1 set 7, next set 5) solo, couple more reps with a spot

Dead - 265 x 8

Squat - 245 x 6 x 2 (maybe it was 8...)

Always been real into fitness, been fascinated with it ever since I started working out about 8 years ago (25 now). Started focusing more on gaining muscle a few years ago, found I really enjoyed the challenge of trying to beat my max lifts. Focusing getting back to where I was right now, without injurying myself (definitely overdid myself in the past and got minor set backs, not trying to repeat those mistakes) I don't think I'll be making many gain before june, just gonna try and go enough to stay stable. Big move out of the house then, probably just gonna enjoy the next few weeks partying with my boys before I have to leave the best set up of my life.