supermeatheads

kunk75

Knucks mate, maybe you'd like to offer some constructive criticism instead of kicking sand in everyone's faces?

Nope.

I think knucks is just a bit harsh sometimes because some guy's are just thickheaded and don't listen or need someone to tell them over and over again. I feel the same too.. as much as I love to help some guys, if someone doesn't want to listen to me or need constant reasons and explanations why this is good and that is bad, that's fine but I don't want to be another baby sister - I don't want to waste me time nor anyone else's.

many times it's just good to read and then go search and research other views too, and then come to your own conclusion.

Yup.

There is so much information out there, just read read and read.

related

anyone got any recs on better recovery? i'm biking 5 times a week for a short distance (2 miles approx) to my uni. and after leg day i feel like it takes forever until my legs feel like they have any kind of energy in them. should i eat more? sleep more?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
i am broke while my bro can spend $200 on gym membership...

j/w but what can you do @ home with just a chair + dumbbell? kind of want to work out back/bicep/shoulders and everything in between those muscle groups.

There are lots of videos and websites dedicated to home workouts. With dumbells you can do: shoulder press, bicep curls, tricep extensions, one arm rows, lateral raises, shrugs, weighted front squats, and a lot more exercises.

• 2 weeks later...

You talking power cleans where you pull it up to the shoulders without dropping underneath or squat cleans where you pull it and drop into a front squat?

For either, you want to make sure you start with your butt down and chest up, but over the bar. Keep the forward lean until the bar hits low-mid thigh. So from the floor to that point, it's all legs. After mid-thigh, you bring your back straight up and down (stand upright) and shrug hard.

In a Power Clean, your feet will generally just move outwards a little, maybe 3-5" to get under the bar. In a full squat clean you actually pull yourself under the bar while you shrug. This is a pretty technical move (and something that I'm still far from perfecting, though I'm trying). But with that pull/shrug, you're just dropping into a squat as fast as you can. Like the Power Clean, your feet will move outward a little, but much less (maybe an inch or two). Having wide feet on the squat clean makes it difficult to drop under the weight.

When receiving the bar, you want your elbows to be pointed up, so your tris are perpendicular to your torso. This makes it more stable and easier to stand up with the weight/jerk it. If you don't have the flexibility to get your elbows high, you just have to keep working on stretching out the tris/shoulders.

i'm currently taking an olympic weightlifting class

every thing Leeacto said regarding power cleans / squat cleans is pretty on point. its all about keeping the bar as close to your body as possible with out actually touching your body on the way up and once you get it mid thigh or "the pocket" area. then shrug the weight up (with help from some hip and leg drive so some people get to their toes) to about collar bone level and then dropping underneath it. this took me the longest to grasp and is still pretty tough to do well consistently. i was always trying to curl the weight up.

doing the "burgener warm up" has helped some as it breaks down each piece.

my cleans have gotten alot better but still lots to do.

and the snatch is another story as well....

i tried power cleans for the first time last week and it was definitely the hardest lift i've tried so far. i stopped at 135 to work on form (probably should've just stuck to a broom or the bar itself) and i ended up with a sore upperback, shoulders, and traps. i was rolling the bar back down my chest and abs to the low-mid thigh position to practice that second pull. sticking to the bar next session :o

pulled 430 on monday and held it for 20 seconds at the top for some grip work. experienced a gnarly cramp near my upper abs on the last rep of my behind the head 50lb db max incline situps. felt like it separated from my torso at the time :(

• 2 weeks later...

so I used to do squats with my thumb wrapped around the bar and it would sometimes cause me to bend my wrist on heavier sets when I default to my left side to help finish straightening up, probably the dumbest shit ever and now my left wrist is kind of fucked up. it started with just a little discomfort and cracking in the wrist, then I made an even worse decision and decided to see a doctor while I was in taiwan who did some acupuncture which made it actually hurt afterwards. that was like 6 weeks ago and my wrist is still weak, I went surfing a week ago and tweaked it again. how long do you guys think I should wait before I try a tentative work out at the gym? should I put it in a splint to make it heal faster? it feels horrible not being able to lift

does anybody do crossfit? The few people I know who do it all have insane bodies or are hot girls.

Input?

I've been doing it about two years.The dudes who are ripped are probably eating wildly healthy as well. I don't eat like a pig, but I'm not full paleo, so I'm somewhere in the middle.

If you do eat crap, you'll still likely have a super high cardio level. Unless you mix in strength days, you'll def lose strength, though.

I started crossfit in may. my strength has stayed pretty level...try and get in one strength day a week, usually base moves...squat, dl, press or bench.......

my CF also starts some classes with some kind of strength or skill move before the metcon which helps but its usually rushed...

been watching westside/ louie simmons vids on the crossfit journal...love his stuff......