Chain Stitching Sewing Machines and Where to Get Them

jake431

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Hey guys, I have recently run across this thread and do not want to spam it but simply let anyone with interest know that I have access to a large collection of Union Special and vintage sewing equiptment. It has taken me years of searching to find all the machines and I would like to make sure that anyone that needs one of these hard to find machines get a nice one that will last for years to come.

I have several 43200G's (all generations), 43200 EdgeLocks, and walking foot 43200 style EdgeLock machines.

If anyone needs one and would like more info and pictures please e-mail me at [email protected]

Thanks.

• 8 months later...

Hey guys, 

assuming this is the right place to post this. i have a customer who purchased some 24oz PBJs from BIG and would like them hemmed. I am afraid for my union special. i've heard of shops refusing to do jeans more than 19oz. is there anyone who has advice for me with my 43200g or anyone who needs to hem 24oz+ denim?

thanks

The Clerk hemmed my 25oz Iron hearts 6months ago on his Union Special and had no particular problems with the machine itself that I can recall.

He did say that folding and flattening the denim was tougher than with lighter pairs.

I'd think you'll be fine.

Edited by UkeNo

Hey guys,

assuming this is the right place to post this. i have a customer who purchased some 24oz PBJs from BIG and would like them hemmed. I am afraid for my union special. i've heard of shops refusing to do jeans more than 19oz. is there anyone who has advice for me with my 43200g or anyone who needs to hem 24oz+ denim?

thanks

What's the inseam like? Is it double felled? Our 2nd gen 43200G can handle 25oz iron hearts like butter but 21 oz unbrandeds brake the needle due to the inseam thickness. Edited by KW-BOW

just a follow up. hemmed some 24oz PBJs last night. no problem. hammering the inseam helped.

• 7 months later...

These are overlock stitch sergers, not chain stitch machines. They are used to finish raw edges of fabric to prevent them from unraveling.  If you want to hem your own jeans, try looking for a Union Special 43200, like the one on first page of this thread. They used be be cheaper, but these days they run over $3000.

You can also use a single needle chain stitch machine, but it won't give you the torque that give the hem the extra twist to get some serious roping effect.

Or if you don't care about a chainstich or "roping" then any sewing machine that can punch through heavy denim will do.