Naked & Famous Denim

terutt

Guest DCDenim

Crate, being a brand that uses vintage dry denim found in old factories to make their jeans with new cuts (that are cut well)

their cuts are atrocious and their detailing is ridiculous (from the pathetic crotch reinforcement to the exposed selvedge belt loop..) and their $100 non selvedge models use the same denim levis uses for their $20 jeans.

these 'old factories deadstock denim' is nothing more than old cone denim that the company can't rid itself of.

a pleasant montrealer that's super obsessed with denim, and all the techniques in making it, and then puts all his passion into his product.

are you part of the N&F marketing division? You sure sound like it with those canned remarks. I swear I read that line on every denim site I go to.

if you don't like the denim, then stay outta here. I think we're all really pleased with how this brand is making out and developing. sure theres some problems, there's always problems, but for a new denim company they're doing really good. They're in BiG. The ONLY north american company in BiG.

So tell me, what is a North American company doing making denim 'proudly' out of Canada..?

'They're doing really good'

Do you have access to their numbers? Or do you just like to make up BS to sound cool. They are not doing well by any means... With the fickle denim market, I don't think they'll even be around in 3 years.

You really need to try out a pair and go through it if you're going to continually rag on something you have no clue about other then simple untrue stereotypes about small denim companies.

I have gone through all their cuts, they need to be seriously refined before they will appeal to me. That is not to say the denim isn't GREAT quality for the price but then, they don't make the denim do they.

As far as the nudie cuts go, so what?

do you have a problem with nudie as well?

yes, actually I do but I respect Nudies as a brand for starting up the 'raw' denim fad for the mainstream market again in recent years. Nudie has a lot of steeze, something NF tries to mimic but for obvious reasons, fails.

and who cares about the website, are you judging the company on their website? have you seen the evisu website? it's terrible.

Yes, websites and marketing are very important in sales if you are to be taken seriously, especially as a newcomer to the fashion industry, I could see why you wouldn't understand that.

I'm not going to say anything about the evisu website because their product is top notch and time tested but the NF website is... recockulous.

We keep all our jeans raw and simple. No washes, no embroidery, no gimmicks…

I guess by no gimmicks they mean showing tits on their tag with a name like 'Naked and Famous' to appeal to prepubescent kids. It doesn't take much to please some guys on here...

Fucking Lame.

Do you have access to their numbers? Or do you just like to make up BS to sound cool. They are not doing well by any means... With the fickle denim market, I don't think they'll even be around in 3 years.

love the hypocrisy.

but let's keep the discussion about the jeans and no about some guy's apparently contradictory comments, eh?

who has tried on any of the new styles? anyway see the greencast weirdguys yet?

Besides the ridiculous stupidity of how much effort you went to go through and try to dismiss my comments of how terrible and closed minded of a denim connoisseur you are, I'll end with some quick comments.

Crate, being a brand that uses vintage dry denim found in old factories to make their jeans with new cuts (that are cut well)

their cuts are atrocious and their detailing is ridiculous (from the pathetic crotch reinforcement to the exposed selvedge belt loop..) and their $100 non selvedge models use the same denim levis uses for their $20 jeans.

these 'old factories deadstock denim' is nothing more than old cone denim that the company can't rid itself of.

Like every other company using deadstock denim, including wild child.

a pleasant montrealer that's super obsessed with denim, and all the techniques in making it, and then puts all his passion into his product.

are you part of the N&F marketing division? You sure sound like it with those canned remarks. I swear I read that line on every denim site I go to.

No, I had the pleasure to meet him on his last visit to Vancouver for the Dutil 1 year party. That's generally the impression I got from the shaking-with-excitement denim head explaining low tension weaves.

if you don't like the denim, then stay outta here. I think we're all really pleased with how this brand is making out and developing. sure theres some problems, there's always problems, but for a new denim company they're doing really good. They're in BiG. The ONLY north american company in BiG.

So tell me, what is a North American company doing making denim 'proudly' out of Canada..?

I don't have access to their numbers, but what Brandon told me was that their sales were only getting better. You're forgetting the staple of denim, especially when people think they're getting a steal. Dwindling denim market my ass.

You really need to try out a pair and go through it if you're going to continually rag on something you have no clue about other then simple untrue stereotypes about small denim companies.

I have gone through all their cuts, they need to be seriously refined before they will appeal to me. That is not to say the denim isn't GREAT quality for the price but then, they don't make the denim do they.

Stop using your personal bias as a basis to what is good and bad denim. If you prefer other cuts and denim companies, that's fine. And you are a fucking idiot to put this much time and effort into something you haven't tried. I personally love the weird guy cut. The cut works for me and a lot of other people really well. The denim, by the way, is AMAZING quality for the price. Yes, they do make their own denim.

As far as the nudie cuts go, so what?

do you have a problem with nudie as well?

yes, actually I do but I respect Nudies as a brand for starting up the 'raw' denim fad for the mainstream market again in recent years. Nudie has a lot of steeze, something NF tries to mimic but for obvious reasons, fails.

I agree that Nudie is losing some of it's value by becoming a mall brand/mainstream. In fact I would prefer to support a new denim company with fresh ideas that not every arrogant joe is wearing in the world. NF tries to make a skinny cut and incorporate vintage aspects (such as that 50's styled pop art back patch that you so brazenly set aside) which may be sort of a norm now, but can be done slightly differently by anyone who attempts it.

and who cares about the website, are you judging the company on their website? have you seen the evisu website? it's terrible.

Yes, websites and marketing are very important in sales if you are to be taken seriously, especially as a newcomer to the fashion industry, I could see why you wouldn't understand that.

I'm not going to say anything about the evisu website because their product is top notch and time tested but the NF website is... recockulous.

A newcomer to the industry definitely does not need the biggest most integrated website available, and i think has done well with his current one. Besides the undressing models clad in AA underwear (which is pretty quebecoi btw), the site goes through all their current cuts and washes. What else needs there to be? No wonder evisu doesn't have a site like that. It's unneccesary.

I guess by no gimmicks they mean showing tits on their tag with a name like 'Naked and Famous' to appeal to prepubescent kids. It doesn't take much to please some guys on here...

I guess it only takes one "Fucking Lame" forum user to get your hard on. Take your personal ego elsewhere.

love the hypocrisy.

but let's keep the discussion about the jeans and no about some guy's apparently contradictory comments, eh?

who has tried on any of the new styles? anyway see the greencast weirdguys yet?

I saw the fabric, and it looks amazing. I ordered a custom pair of the weird guys and am waiting anxiousely for them to arrive.

They look amazing.

^ interesting. not meaning any offense, but if i were getting a custom pair i'd be very tempted to get a cut/wash combo that wasn't already available. i would love to see a weirdguy in a 21oz... that would be so sweet.

although... i must admit the white stitching should make them look super unique.. same with the white patch!

you have to put some pics up when you get the jeans...

Guest DCDenim

oh, so according to ole, it's a North American Company... making jeans proudly out of canada... using denim they created and sourced exclusively from their own mills in Japan...

Thanks for straightening that out ole!

:eek: :rolleyes:

fwiw, the denim bubble has burst.. other fabrics that are becoming more desirable and fashionable.

weird guy greencast denim with an off white stitching (but still white) and the off white leather patch.

i just picked up a slim black selvedge pair from villains in san francisco. the wierd guy greencast was there too. its very "interesting" but its not of my "interest". i tried the brown coated one and it really looked like plain khakis.

anyways, although the green was not of my interest, they looked very unique and im interested to actually see how the coated (brown green grey) break in. I haven't seen one yet.

oh, so according to ole, it's a North American Company... making jeans proudly out of canada... using denim they created and sourced exclusively from their own mills in Japan...

Thanks for straightening that out ole!

:eek: :rolleyes:

fwiw, the denim bubble has burst.. other fabrics that are becoming more desirable and fashionable.

er.. you do realize that North America consists of both Canada AND the US, right?

Guest DCDenim

ha!

and about 30 other counties.

anyway, don't pull a strawman here.. this argument is about over saturated denim labels, $120 for raw jeans being a steal, AA underwear, fresh ideas, arrogant joes, getting hardons, something about 50s style pop art... and pleasant montrealers.

...and not about my geography skills.

ha!

anyway, don't pull a strawman here.. this argument is about over saturated denim labels, $120 for raw jeans being a steal, AA underwear, fresh ideas, arrogant joes, getting hardons, something about 50s style pop art... and pleasant montrealers.

cat got your tongue?

counties?

your geography skills? cause what you said before is right. made proudly out of canada made with japanese fabrics they custom design. not their own factories mind you, but even dior gets their denim from a factory, one that also deals with wings and horns.

^ interesting. not meaning any offense, but if i were getting a custom pair i'd be very tempted to get a cut/wash combo that wasn't already available. i would love to see a weirdguy in a 21oz... that would be so sweet.

although... i must admit the white stitching should make them look super unique.. same with the white patch!

you have to put some pics up when you get the jeans...

for me, the decision came down to whats going to be kinda unique and most interests me that i don't already have. I've been stockpiling denim, so i wanted to grab something a little different. The greencast is different then normal greencasts, the top thread is green and the bottom is blue, so they fade blue over time, not green.

i'm hoping they come out looking pretty good, definitely will post pics when they come.

for some reason i think there actually is going to be a 21 oz weird guy in normal production

ha!

nah i'm not starting any shit here.. just saying that that's like calling someone out for stating "An American company that makes their stuff out of Alaska" lol

being canadian i get annoyed when people think North American means American only.

Would the skinnyguy silk denim jeans fade like regular raw denim? When theyre brand new are they rigid/starchy or soft because of the silk?

Im after something that is skinny but not as skinny as my 28 new cures (they were a bit too small and ended up being skin tight) so i was thinking maybe 29 or 30 in the skinny guys or 29 wierd guys. My true waist is 31.

The silk denim looks pretty interesting but theyre probably little too slim i might go for 29 wierd guys. The 7inch knee worries me; the wierd guys might be better suited to my build. Im 5'11 and about 160, my thighs arent small but theyre not massive either.

Would the skinnyguy silk denim jeans fade like regular raw denim? When theyre brand new are they rigid/starchy or soft because of the silk?

Im after something that is skinny but not as skinny as my 28 new cures (they were a bit too small and ended up being skin tight) so i was thinking maybe 29 or 30 in the skinny guys or 29 wierd guys. My true waist is 31.

The silk denim looks pretty interesting but theyre probably little too slim i might go for 29 wierd guys. The 7inch knee worries me; the wierd guys might be better suited to my build. Im 5'11 and about 160, my thighs arent small but theyre not massive either.

Im about 5'10 and 155 and wear the silk in 31. I could have gone with 30's but they would have been a bit too tight in the waist. They dont stretch out the same way as 100% cotton jeans do. The stretch material in the silk let them fit comfortably but they shrink back when you take them off. The stretching isnt permanent. 29;s would probably be too tight.

I also have the grey weird guys in 30.

You wouldnt happen to have a picture of either or both of those fits would you? Im 5'11 and about 160 so id say we're a similar build. I wear 30 in nudies and my true waist is about 31.5-32

The thing that confuses me is the waist measurement on the skinnyguy silks; you say you wear a 31 but the big measurements say those are about 34 in the waist which seems kind of excessive.

Ill probably end up getting a 30 in the weird guys

I have 3 exams in these next 2 days so Im a bit busy right now. I'll post a few pics after that. I have a pair of average joes heavy dry in size 30 as well if that helps you.

They use a ton of different fabrics with a ton of different dyes, even between their indigo models.

There is a "natural indigo organic selvage" weird guy

and a "natural indigo revival selvage" skinny guy

i think its safe to say that the first one is organic indigo, and i'd assume so about the second but i don't really know what they mean by "revival"

Heres pictures of size 30 average joe heavy dry (left), size 30 grey selvage (middle) and 31 silk skinny guys (right) for comparison. Im about 5'10, 155lbs

front-1.jpg

back-1.jpg

side-1.jpg

You probably cant tell from the pics but the silks are actually the tightest at the waist of the 3. The jeans stretch because of the elastane but where the fabric folds at the waist doesnt stretch at all. They are still comfortable but thats something they could fix. Heres a pic.

DSC00068.jpg