Leathercrafting Creations: PYC

OptimaDies

Hey guys, just wondering for those that uses the pricking iron/ prong, what surface do you all work on? The tooling board from tandy?

I use it on a piece of wood... Sometimes I use a big block of wood, if I'm doing many holes. Pretty easy and cheap. It'll ruin your cutting mat pretty quickly

By the way, have any of you tried making sandals before?

I thought about doing it for an ex girlfriend, but I never got around to doing it. However I recently visited a local cobbler, that also makes sandals - you can read about it here

And I have been thinking about asking him about co-creating a pair of sandals in oil tanned leather with a Vibram mini lug sole attached... Or do you guys have any good ideas?

Edited by simontuntelder

By the way, have any of you tried making sandals before?

I thought about doing it for an ex girlfriend, but I never got around to doing it. However I recently visited a local cobbler, that also makes sandals - you can read about it here

And I have been thinking about asking him about co-creating a pair of sandals in oil tanned leather with a Vibram mini lug sole attached... Or do you guys have any good ideas?

CMIIW, but I remember someone in here already made couple of sandals...I think it's Eric, not?

Whew! I finally ordered a couple of sides from Wickett & Craig for key chains and wallets. I'll get twice the sqft of leather for the same price as I was paying for Tandy's nicest leather (which I liked, for the most part), so hopefully it is just as good or better quality. If I like it, I'll make the switch to their 10-12 oz for belts as well.

^^^ Yea man, im using royal meadow too.! Its pretty good and blemish free. People give them too little credit...

Royal Meadow is great stuff, best moisture content of any veg tan I've gotten my hands on. I just wish it was available in 2-3oz.

You guys are talking about the Royal Meadow tooling sides that Tandy sells? I was using the European single bends, which had a nice density, and made great wallets and belts. Should I be rethinking ordering from W&C and go back to Tandy? I worry about ordering from W&C without being able to select the hides.

Edited by zissou

Stay away from the Euro single bends- they basically introduced it for the rich retired guys that come in and want "the best"...it's only point is to be expensive. Try a Royal Meadow side from Tandy, I guarantee you won't go back. Plus, it's 2-3x the yield for $60 more. Nothing I've ever tried from W&C has ever touched it for card holder weight veg. tan.

Royal Meadow is great stuff, best moisture content of any veg tan I've gotten my hands on. I just wish it was available in 2-3oz.

I know what you mean man. I've been trying to find a better one than craftoak. And im avoiding the petite goat hide purely because i have this ocd thing where i want the guts to be bovine too.

OK, I canceled my W&C order, mostly because I don't like the idea of spending ~$400 on leather that I can't see first. They are going to send swatches.

I have been using the Euro bends mostly because I was looking for something nice in 8-10oz for belts. I wish it came in 10-12oz, but oh well. I've managed to pick it up whenever it's on sale. I will promptly go check out the Royal Meadow for lighter weights. Thanks for the advice, guys!

I'm using Royal Meadow. Per usable square foot I'd argue it ends up being a better deal than the mid end veg tans from Tandy. The last mid range stuff I bought ended up having nasty cyst-like imperfections or a weakness from a rough back side.

I've managed to aggravate a tendon in my bicep, not sure if there's much mallet swinging in my near future. Does anyone have any good resources for stretches of exercises to avoid tendonitis?

I pretty much blindly went about trying to make a wallet. After a year, I was making better wallets.

I'm using Royal Meadow. Per usable square foot I'd argue it ends up being a better deal than the mid end veg tans from Tandy. The last mid range stuff I bought ended up having nasty cyst-like imperfections or a weakness from a rough back side.

I've managed to aggravate a tendon in my bicep, not sure if there's much mallet swinging in my near future. Does anyone have any good resources for stretches of exercises to avoid tendonitis?

In general good mobility in the shoulder joint and flexible biceps and triceps will help a lot, doing warm up drills that involve wrist/elbow/shoulder is also a good thing. I would do typical interior/exterior rotation exercises for the shoulder, do some low resistance work involving the elbow in general combined with regular stretching. You could also try to alternate hot and cold packs on the problematic area to increase blood flow.

I finally worked out a design for a sunglasses case. Figuring out how to line it was the hardest part. In the end, I decided to fully line it with red microsuede (the fabric, not leather).

b712773b.jpg

64bf7c3f.jpg

Edited by zissou