Leathercrafting Creations: PYC

OptimaDies

Lazybum- thanks a man. I really wanted to do a black stitch....but I am a bit of egotistical maniac, and like to show off my stitching. Lol...as far as floating pockets....I did them like a flathead or redmoon.

Hollows....I do local craft deals all the time. I focus on $20-$40 items. Braclets, leather wraped_ bottle openers,belt loops BIC lighter sleeves etc etc, I bring my expensive stuff but its more for show and helps sell smaller items...just my two cents

I'm doing my first craft- ahem, artisan show tomorrow. South Congress markets if anyone wants to say hi, the market with the puppy adoption center. I'm worried about not having enough less expensive stuff. Maybe still time to rip out some bracelets once wallets are done? I'm totally banking on rich ladies holiday shopping, we'll see.

Hey Eric, any words of wisdom for pop-up/craft shows? I just found out going to be at SnowGRADE in February and I don't really know what to expect, since I've been a total work-hermit for so long.

Honestly have no clue- I've never done one before, never found them appealing. I just pulled whatever stock I had left that I could tolerate with the wholesale/15% to the rep deal (yep, only making 35% of the retail cost on anything that sells). Also figured after so long I should show my face and meet customers, however scraggly I look from such long hours lately. They offered me an account on the spot when I dropped stuff off and they saw it today, so that was worth the whole thing even if nothing sells.

I think the big thing is that you get super targeted traffic in your niche online. At craft fairs and markets, you get 99% of people who have no clue what "chromexcel" and "saddle stitching" is, nor do they really care. It's more price, functionality, and the "pretty" factor. Unfortunately not a lot of people carry mids or $200 wallets. I'd say do a bunch of pocket-money-affordable, gender neutral stuff, and some of your big stuff too for marketing and getting your name out. Unstitched bracelets for $15, card holders for $45, that sort of thing will sell pretty easily.

I'm so jealous of all the master craftsmen here haha. I made this leather case for my Moleskine + Pen. I had lack of sleep and a lot of coffee, so In turn, my brain wasn't functioning well. As a result... I forgot to wet and mold this prior to stitching, so it's now a funky shape. I'm probably going to make a second version with the molding, then glueing, then cutting, then sewing. Geez, I'm kind of bummed on this. Thanks for looking and keep up the good work.

IMG_0137.jpg

IMG_0147.jpg

Holiday update mega post! Great stuff all around guys, looks like christmas time has been good for business all around. Congrats on the press too guys, pyc takin over the leathers world and shit...

vegtankniferoll2.jpgHorween veg tan knife roll, thought it looked real nice....

casshouserolls1.jpg

Matching set I made for three chefs I used to work with as a christmas present from the boss man (dont mind the messy shop haha)

kniferollcxl2.jpg

Gotta make about 15 more of these guys in the next week, brown chromexcel

kniferollscutout1.jpg

First ten knife rolls of around 40 (yikes) cut out and ready to line... all brown cxl

BACKPACK11.jpg

and christmas present for the lady, new backpack. 24 oz(!) Canvas with 10 oz veg tan water buffalo straps.

As you can see, my shop is a MESS. Cant wait to clean it, scheduled for december 26th.

Edited by JAW

Thanks blackgoat! Yea the knife rolls are certainly a niche item and for some reason I started making them at just the right time... But its great, I always worked in restaraunts so keeping a connection to that world is really cool, as its something I miss in some ways. The good part is that now I get to eat at restaraunts instead of waiting tables :).

-Jon

that union store is pretty silly, even for a place sitting next to a shop selling 10 ft dinosaur furniture.

i mean, it would be interesting to hear their sell on a $100 leather coaster.

Edited by madstaxbro

all black e'rythang. 10x12, lots of copper, hand brushed hardware. 5094169611_d7cd8b7e24_z.jpg5094770130_b20da941c9_z.jpg (hand dyed) 5094702340_fea485b7b6_z.jpg

I know I'm pulling up anicent stuff here, but what kind of difficulty level would you say this is for a beginning leather-"worker"? I'm just a hobby-ist, and I would not even come close to your level of perfection when it comes to finish and other things, but with a bunch of brass snaps, rivets and buckles, and some veg. tanned leather, would such a project be feasible?

And on another note: vegt. tan leather: stupid idea for a shoulder bag?

It's not beginner. As a beginner I'd always recommend making dozens of card cases and bracelets to practice your stitching and craft before you hop into big bags and construction like that. Veg tan is fine for bags (that's just dyed veg tan), and I'm not sure on your exact level of skill, but for someone who hasn't made much of anything it'd be like a 15 year old with a drivers permit driving a semi truck...it's just not ideal

Ah, ok. I guess I'll be making more card cases, iphone cases and camera straps then :) Thanks for the feedback.

is it that hard to source Horween Horsehide Chromexcel? :(

I contacted lots of area rep / stockist and they told me like I need to order minimum 500sqf for each color...

and Maverick seems to ignore my e-mail...

Lucaas I would give horween a call.BUT! You are going to wait FOREVER!!! And your going to pay about $9 sqft

I am lucky cause my buddy over at autumshere.com orders large amounts of horween stuff thought a rep. And I can "attach" my little orders to his at a good price.

But I use maverick too. They are a bit slow to respond sometimes. But super nice family owned company.

thank you very much for the heads up people!

really appreciate it...

yeah, maybe I'll try to contact Maverick once more later on.

the problem is that I'm afraid that many leather supplier ignore my e-mail because my base is in Indonesia :(

Maybe they're afraid about the payment issue, shipping issue, etc. but, that's only my thoughts anyway..