Leathercrafting Creations: PYC

OptimaDies

^Beautiful!!

Thanks for the thread advice, guys. I tried the Tandy awl thread that Hollows recommended, and I thought it was a bit difficult to work with. I can't find Seiwa thread anywhere, so I think I might stick with waxed linen.

Simon- have you had any problems with 4 ply waxed linen breaking? I'm about to place a rather large order, but I haven't used anything thinner than 7 ply before.

hey sufu... Im coming off a leather crafting binge in the past two days i have made 6 wallets...took a picture of 4 of them that are the same style...the other two are different styles and I haven't taken pictures of them yet but will. Got some new thread, got some tips from Tandy and a few new tools so here they are! This leather crafting thing ain't too hard, just really time consuming!hehe Oh and the wallets were still wet with oil when i took the pictures this explains the splotchiness on some of them...Hope sufu likes.

6463656009_0241eee81b.jpg

DSC_0189 by Mr.JohnCinyo, on Flickr

6463652325_c42935fd80.jpg

DSC_0187 by Mr.JohnCinyo, on Flickr

6463646711_64156e511f.jpg

DSC_0186 by Mr.JohnCinyo, on Flickr

6463650589_6c4277f0e8.jpg

DSC_0184 by Mr.JohnCinyo, on Flickr

Edited by thecolosseum

Simon- have you had any problems with 4 ply waxed linen breaking? I'm about to place a rather large order, but I haven't used anything thinner than 7 ply before.

Thread is a huge mystery, unless you have it all figured out, and then you still might not understand any, as different brands are using different indicators of size.

I normally use Barbour 5ply for most work. I sometimes use 7 ply, but I think I prefer the 5 ply. I also have 3 ply, that I use on smaller items in thin leathers and I don't think I have had problems with it breaking.

I got a sample from the US once, and it was a 7 ply, however it wasn't as thick as my Barbour 5 ply.

I think you need to know, that there is another number to the ply. It typically says 18 or 20 after the ply. This is the thread count. This means that a 5 ply/20 is thinner than a 5 ply/18 thread - as this would use thicker threads. I know this doesn't really make sense, but I'll try to find an explanation for it.

Where are you ordering from?

And I don't think Seiwa is linen - I think it's polyester.

Thecolosseum: "this leather crafting thing ain't too hard, just really time consuming!" Greatest statement in this thread. Hahahahaha :D

That's impressive, Nick! Since we're tooting our own horns, one of my card cases was posted on the blog Well Spent (last item), formerly known as Commerce with a Conscience :)

Thread is a huge mystery, unless you have it all figured out, and then you still might not understand any, as different brands are using different indicators of size.

I normally use Barbour 5ply for most work. I sometimes use 7 ply, but I think I prefer the 5 ply. I also have 3 ply, that I use on smaller items in thin leathers and I don't think I have had problems with it breaking.

I got a sample from the US once, and it was a 7 ply, however it wasn't as thick as my Barbour 5 ply.

I think you need to know, that there is another number to the ply. It typically says 18 or 20 after the ply. This is the thread count. This means that a 5 ply/20 is thinner than a 5 ply/18 thread - as this would use thicker threads. I know this doesn't really make sense, but I'll try to find an explanation for it.

Where are you ordering from?

Thanks for the explanation. I am ordering from Royalwood Ltd in the US, and they sent me a sample card with all of the colors and weights. 4ply looks perfect for wallets, but I'll use 7 ply for belts. They don't have a thread count. I tried knotting and breaking the 4ply by hand and couldn't, so I think it will work well. Best of all, I can match thread colors to all of the leather colors that I use, and they'll make for nice contrast stitching if I want to mix up the colors.

Edited by zissou

Hey guys, I was wondering how you guys punch holes for sewing. Chisels, drilling, awl, combo? I use a groover, stitching marker, and then I pierce the leather with the awl. My stitching looks pretty good, but the exit wounds from the awl look nasty. sometimes they look wrinkled or torn etc. and I think it's ruining the look. I think I read that my awl might not be sharp enough, but I'm gaining interest in using sewing chisels. Any tips or suggestions?

^ love that field notes carry. the pencil sleeve is brilliant, great design eric.

so i finally got around to making a bunch of stuff and selling at a craft fair thing. it went well! i didn't sell a ton of stuff but it was a great experience. i'll post some pictures of my line-up later today.

i'm having trouble locating a source for some quality belt buckles. tandy's are just not going to cut it. any help? emphasis on simple.

thanks!

Thanks, corter! I get a mention somewhere every 4-5 months, which boosts orders just enough that I can't keep up. Part of me would like to quit my day job to work on all the new designs in my head, but Etsy doesn't have much of a 401K plan...

I'd say at some point you need to go for it, you don't have to quit your job to get more serious with it- you'll probably regret not trying later on. Also, Etsy's great for side money, but when you do go bigger I'd say separate yourself from Etsy and become your own brand.

Corter your recent volume is mindblowing. Those indigo bifolds are fantastic.

Hollows- congrats on the shot.

Now for a much clunkier passport wallet.

6473246797_e67f32fddf_z.jpg

Passport wallet by PaleoWorkshop, on Flickr

6473247419_6e1392c221_z.jpg

6473248119_1885730f20_z.jpg

6473248901_2b05bd9986_z.jpg

I like how the execution is coming along although the design doesn't thrill me. When money is good again I'll get a thinner insert hide.

Here's some pictures of a wallet/card holder design I've been working on for about a year. Pretty happy with it now. It's made from one piece of leather. It looks better with stuff in it, I'll have to snap some photos of mine sometime soon.

20111207Seattle-WanekaLeather-7.jpg

20111207Seattle-WanekaLeather-6.jpg

20111207Seattle-WanekaLeather-5.jpg

Edited by t.wayne

Congrats fellas on the media mentions, blog posts and pictures in gq (damn!). Have to say I find the whole marketing/media stuff an absolute rollercoaster ride of frustration, anguish topped off every now and again with ecstatic elation when it pays off. It’s an interesting game for sure.

Great work guys.

Rb.

lazybum, you kill me with every post dude! great stuff!

been awhile since i have posted anything....thought this one came out pretty cool. black shell cordovan and black bridle wallet , with light brown sinew stitch. i also did floating pockets on this one.

6464337673_ee47af8ac8_z.jpg

6464337457_7a6280f96e_z.jpg

6464337599_e5eb55850d_z.jpg

6464337525_48bfbf9d8c_z.jpg

Thanks! That wallet of yours is pretty cool too. Although something tells me that black stitching would have made it even more baddass than it already is. What's the idea with the floating pockets? Can't seem to tell from the picture.

Congrats fellas on the media mentions, blog posts and pictures in gq (damn!). Have to say I find the whole marketing/media stuff an absolute rollercoaster ride of frustration, anguish topped off every now and again with ecstatic elation when it pays off. It’s an interesting game for sure.

Great work guys.

Rb.

Can't beat yourself up over media. 10 customers that find you on their own are worth 100 customers that find you via blogs/print/etc. If you think about your customers and what they want successfully, the coverage will follow for sure.

Can't beat yourself up over media. 10 customers that find you on their own are worth 100 customers that find you via blogs/print/etc. If you think about your customers and what they want successfully, the coverage will follow for sure.

Thankfully things are chugging along really well at the moment, I think though I might have come across a little bit downbeat about it all, the way I see it all that frustration just makes the elation more piquant and pronounced. At the end of the day I get to stand at my bench playing with shiny knives all day, any feeling of frustration generally doesn’t linger too long J

Anyway, good luck guys, ciao