Leathercrafting Creations: PYC

OptimaDies

Thanks guys- gives me some extra storage auction time, so I'm ok with that. 3rd set of stitches in like 4 years, none of which were leather work related and all of which put me out of work for a week. Kinda lame, but a good excuse to not be able to do a lick of work for the first time in over a year (since the last stitches haha).

Have you guys tried working standing up? I built my bench taller than a kitchen counter top and work standing up, and I've never had any body problems with it. stiff fingers when it's cold, but that's more just the nature of the job I guess.

Dang Corter, I hope you heal up swiftly!

Here's a one-off mid sized long wallet I made a little while ago. The Fiebings Light Tan came out a bit more orange than I like, but I've gotten some good colors mixing it. Really basic lanyard. Picturs were taking after a little bit of use.

Friday_and_River_Custom_Mid_wallet_light_tan_Closed.jpg

Friday_and_River_Custom_Mid_wallet_light_tan_open.jpg

Hi all,

I'm new here and have spent the last couple days reading this entire thread. I'm blown away by the amazing talent here and the encouragement that goes on. I've been doing leatherwork for a few years now off and on and have been making mainly satchels. Here's a couple of my latest:

Hand stitched EDC bag

th_9906a304.jpgth_49987d55.jpgth_6c308592.jpg

Riveted one piece satchel:

th_c7679d45.jpgth_e3547887.jpgth_e660174a.jpg

Some card holders that I was experimenting with some dye techniques

th_e8fae692.jpgth_6d7d80c6.jpg

I look forward to sharing with everyone!

I've been working on doing my own key hook for some time now, and it's finally sent off to get 3d modeled and cast! I'm doing it in steel (stainless), copper plated. Steel for strength as brass would be ok but not as strong as steel when used to open bottles. Here's the first computer rendering that I've sent off, it's being made in California. Very excited, would love some input as I get moving with the renderings!

6921239993_c195fc9eff.jpg

Edited by corter

Love the idea Corter. Are you gonna add some beveled edges or details to it ? Your logo somewhere on there ?

I would really like to find someone here in Montreal that makes custom hardware. No luck so far.

One thing that I find a bit odd in the overall shape is the symetry of the top curves. But maybe that is something you are going for. I took the liberty of trying to use the right top curve, flip it and replace the left top curve just to illustrate what I mean :

corter_hook.jpg

Love the idea Corter. Are you gonna add some beveled edges or details to it ? Your logo somewhere on there ?

I would really like to find someone here in Montreal that makes custom hardware. No luck so far.

If you find a place, let a brother know!

One thing that I find a bit odd in the overall shape is the symetry of the top curves. But maybe that is something you are going for. I took the liberty of trying to use the right top curve, flip it and replace the left top curve just to illustrate what I mean :

corter_hook.jpg

Thanks! It's not at all a symmetrical or perfect drawing, just a concept sketch for the 3d guys. Since they use software I don't use to render, they just asked for a very simple sketch with basic measurements. It'll be perfectly symmetrical in the end!

I've been working on doing my own key hook for some time now, and it's finally sent off to get 3d modeled and cast! I'm doing it in steel (stainless), copper plated. Steel for strength as brass would be ok but not as strong as steel when used to open bottles. Here's the first computer rendering that I've sent off, it's being made in California. Very excited, would love some input as I get moving with the renderings!

6921239993_c195fc9eff.jpg

Corter, Question tho. Doesn't the small U shape metal piece on the inside of the hook at the top act like a blunt blade and slowly wears the belt loop on your jeans.?

Corter, Question tho. Doesn't the small U shape metal piece on the inside of the hook at the top act like a blunt blade and slowly wears the belt loop on your jeans.?

it shouldn't, it's just going to be a bump in the metal- no edge to it at all. plus, it'll sit to one side or the other in the belt loop, it won't rest perfectly balanced.

I know of a good casting place in Toronto if you have something in mind.

Corter - Nice design, put me down for one! Is it going to be milled or cast?

Thanks dude! It'll be cast steel for strength, don't want to risk brass bending over time and use, and with the split for the hook steel will be that much stronger. Then plated copper, and I'm going to do some powder coated bright red like old 50's decorative cast iron

^ Go get Delrin stamps. Its way cheaper than steel ones. (Delrin is a new age plastic that is hard like steel.)

I got mine from Grey Ghost Graphics (Jeff Mosby). It's among the more expensive Delrin Stamp makers, but i decided that since i'm already getting a cheaper deal by using Delrin instead of steel, i'm gonna splurge a little on workmenship.

^ Go get Delrin stamps. Its way cheaper than steel ones. (Delrin is a new age plastic that is hard like steel.)

I got mine from Grey Ghost Graphics (Jeff Mosby). It's among the more expensive Delrin Stamp makers, but i decided that since i'm already getting a cheaper deal by using Delrin instead of steel, i'm gonna splurge a little on workmenship.

Hey have you already got one done? or still in the process of doing so? Have always been thinking about getting one done, maybe we could share shipping or something like that to save some cost? Let me know man!

So I decided to try my hand at a wallet. I had somehow convinced myself that making one would be outside my comfort zone, but I wouldn't think twice about hand stitching a satchel. After seeing all the maxing examples here, I figured why not.

I'm pleased with the result but I'm already planning my next one with some improvements in assembly methods. I'm also thinking a higher s.p.i and thinner thread.

Veg tan, hand stitched and dyed. I distressed it to give it a nice worn in feel to it. Sorry about the crappy pics, haven't had a chance to take good ones yet.

66f85ac7.jpg

42fa92c7.jpg